PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Mass Ammo Buy - How?

Phil3
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
If by chance, AB962 becomes law and we buy ammo and/or reloading supplies out of state, is there any way to still buy mail order and have it delivered to another state for pickup? I can not see a retail store wanting to be be a "pass-through" for mail order. Even if they did, they would probably want some sort of fee for doing so. If I want a few thousand bullets, it is doubtful most stores will have that many on hand, in a specific weight, brand, caliber, etc. They might be willing to special order and sell of their shelves, but that still means the cost is perhaps substantially higher than mail order.

Seems like I need family or a friend in Nevada to buy for me and I pick up...

- Phil

bwiese
10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, legally.

But some vendors may balk - if anything, scared of credit card fraud (many mail order vendors don't like to ship to an addresst that's not on record with the credit card co.)

BigDogatPlay
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
You always wanted to take a long car vacation across country, didn't you? :D

I can't imagine retail credit card orders with a billing address in one state being shipped to another state. Particularly if it's for ammo in an AB962 in force environment. That scenario is likely best served by having the friend of family order and take delivery and then you go get it. However, if you exchange money with them and the round count is high enough could your friend / family run afoul of FFL requirements?

wash
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
People will organize group buys and such if ab962 goes through. Gun shows will still have plenty of ammo unless you are opposed to the fingerprinting.

Aldemar
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Make a good friend at www.nevadashooters.com

If I had the $, I would be tempted to open a gunshop at Stateline!

Phil3
10-07-2009, 1:07 PM
The whole thing makes me so furious, I AM tempted to do something like that. Even if the bill does not pass, this death by a thousand cuts is very difficult to combat and would expect that over time, such a stateline enterprise would eventually be more and more needed.

- Phil

Phil3
10-07-2009, 1:09 PM
People will organize group buys and such if ab962 goes through. Gun shows will still have plenty of ammo unless you are opposed to the fingerprinting.

I will drive 400 miles to Nevada and back before I am fingerprinted for ammo. And don't forget, ammo was defined to include bullets, cartridges, clips, speedloaders. Fingerprinting for that too?

- Phil

kf6tac
10-07-2009, 1:13 PM
I will drive 400 miles to Nevada and back before I am fingerprinted for ammo. And don't forget, ammo was defined to include bullets, cartridges, clips, speedloaders. Fingerprinting for that too?

- Phil

That definition does not apply to the fingerprinting requirement. The fingerprint requirement uses the definition of "handgun ammunition" found at PC Section 12323.

freakshow10mm
10-07-2009, 1:14 PM
However, if you exchange money with them and the round count is high enough could your friend / family run afoul of FFL requirements?
There is no federal license to sell ammunition, only to manufacture it.

Untamed1972
10-07-2009, 1:17 PM
But some vendors may balk - if anything, scared of credit card fraud (many mail order vendors don't like to ship to an addresst that's not on record with the credit card co.)

I've done so with sportsmansguide several times. I have it shipped to my office so there is someone here to sign for it. The first time I did they called me just to verifiy that was the address I wanted it sent to. Now granted, it wasn't being sent to a different state. But I think even they offer gift delivery service, so you could place your order and select the option to send it as a gift. Might help keep the suspicion down a little.

bodger
10-07-2009, 1:24 PM
We'll find a way. I will never submit to a fingerprint whilst buying ammo. Never.

If this thing becomes law, we should fight it just as vigorously as we would any law that would dictate confiscation of our firearms. Because this kind of crap is exactly how that trampling of our rights would occur. One hit at a time until we have no rights.

We should insure that there is a terrible blow-back to this law. Through legal challenges, organized protests (even if the "right people" disagree), and a constant haranguing of those responsible for the passing of AB 962.

All done without breaking any laws, of course. But these lawmakers need to see that there is a point where this will no longer be tolerated.

mikeinrancho
10-07-2009, 1:41 PM
Yes, legally.

This. CTD had a sale on my favorite 30 round mags earlier in the year and while I have had full capacity XD9 magazines sent to my 'weekend' home in Nevada, CTD would not ship the magazines to my Nevada address because my CC had a California billing address. I simply went online, opened a checking account with my Nevada address, got a debit card, called CTD and paid for the mags with my new Nevada debit card. Since CTD required an adult sign for the package, I followed the progress of the shipment through Fedex and I was there when the mags were delivered.

Of course those mags stay in Nevada. ;)

Aldemar
10-07-2009, 1:52 PM
We'll find a way. I will never submit to a fingerprint whilst buying ammo. Never.

If this thing becomes law, we should fight it just as vigorously as we would any law that would dictate confiscation of our firearms. Because this kind of crap is exactly how that trampling of our rights would occur. One hit at a time until we have no rights.

We should insure that there is a terrible blow-back to this law. Through legal challenges, organized protests (even if the "right people" disagree), and a constant haranguing of those responsible for the passing of AB 962.

All done without breaking any laws, of course. But these lawmakers need to see that there is a point where this will no longer be tolerated.

Necessity is the mother of invention. My SeaDoo trailer is 350 lbs underweight, more if I run then almost dry & don't fill the gas jugs.

Unfortunately, they are now stored until next season.

Aldemar
10-07-2009, 1:53 PM
This. CTD had a sale on my favorite 30 round mags earlier in the year and while I have had full capacity XD9 magazines sent to my 'weekend' home in Nevada, CTD would not ship the magazines to my Nevada address because my CC had a California billing address. I simply went online, opened a checking account with my Nevada address, got a debit card, called CTD and paid for the mags with my new Nevada debit card. Since CTD required an adult sign for the package, I followed the progress of the shipment through Fedex and I was there when the mags were delivered.

Of course those mags stay in Nevada. ;)

Not too smart posting that on a public forum.

putput
10-07-2009, 2:00 PM
Since there's no definition of what a "handgun ammunition" is, then I would hope that everyone involved in the process (make, sell, buy) would just ignore this stupid law. Hi, I'd like 1,000 rounds of semiauto, assualt, evil, black, shoulderthingythatgoesup, rifle ammo in 9mm please. It's a gift for my buddy!

Uriah02
10-07-2009, 2:02 PM
I'm just gonna road trip it and reload...

zinfull
10-07-2009, 2:03 PM
Just get that worthless FFL03 and COE and you will be part of the exempt plenty.

jerry

mikeinrancho
10-07-2009, 2:12 PM

Nothing illegal there. I have a home in Nevada with a shipping address in Nevada, a checking account in Nevada, a Seasonal Resident ID for Nevada and my handguns are registered in Nevada. And like I said, the mags stay in Nevada.

If AB 962 doesn't get vetoed that's where my ammo will be shipped to, but it WON'T stay in Nevada. Sounds like the makings of a 'group buy'.

Where's the lack of smarts?

Aldemar
10-07-2009, 2:21 PM
Nothing illegal there. I have a home in Nevada with a shipping address in Nevada, a checking account in Nevada, a Seasonal Resident ID for Nevada and my handguns are registered in Nevada. And like I said, the mags stay in Nevada.

If AB 962 doesn't get vetoed that's where my ammo will be shipped to, but it WON'T stay in Nevada. Sounds like the makings of a 'group buy'.

Where's the lack of smarts?

1) It appears that you waited until the mag purchase to open the bank account.

2) The quotes around the 'weekend' home as well as the ;) could lead one to believe you were planning to bring the std cap mags to Cal.

Not saying you did, just be careful on a public forum. Big Brother is most probably lurking.

Mitch
10-07-2009, 2:29 PM

No laws were broken.

G17GUY
10-07-2009, 2:31 PM

2) The quotes around the 'weekend' home as well as the ;) could lead one to believe you were planning to bring the std cap mags to Cal.

Not saying you did, just be careful on a public forum. Big Brother is most probably lurking.

:TFH:

bodger
10-07-2009, 2:43 PM
I'm just gonna road trip it and reload...

Necessity is the mother of invention. My SeaDoo trailer is 350 lbs underweight, more if I run then almost dry & don't fill the gas jugs.

Unfortunately, they are now stored until next season.

Roger that. Road trips.
I have a 3/4 ton pick-up with side rails.

dantodd
10-07-2009, 3:44 PM
I too will probably buy most of my ammo out of state if this is signed into law. This is bad news for CA FFLs. Unfortunately hard times for FFLs is exactly what the legislature wants, the fewer places there are to buy guns the happier the legislature will be.

pullnshoot25
10-07-2009, 3:49 PM
How about sending me with a big *** truck, loading up and coming back? I have a class B license and I will be happy to get a hazmat endorsement.
I only drive buses so I am not certain about all the interstate procedures. However, the options are open.

As long as I am fed and someone gives me a couch to sleep on I am good to go.
Btw, my new arms business is DUCK industries... Damn Ukrainian College Kid Industries!

Gijoe
10-07-2009, 3:54 PM
road trip anyone?

Glock22Fan
10-07-2009, 4:13 PM
How about sending me with a big *** truck, loading up and coming back? I have a class B license and I will be happy to get a hazmat endorsement.
I only drive buses so I am not certain about all the interstate procedures. However, the options are open.

As long as I am fed and someone gives me a couch to sleep on I am good to go.
Btw, my new arms business is DUCK industries... Damn Ukrainian College Kid Industries!

I suggest "Damn Ukrainian College Kid Industry Enterprises"

or DUCKIE.

BigDogatPlay
10-07-2009, 6:05 PM
Just get that worthless FFL03 and COE and you will be part of the exempt plenty.

jerry

I don't see an exemption for FFL03 in the bill as I've read it.

ETA... on further review I do see an exemption for the face to face requirement, but I'm left to wonder who is going to ship in to California to other than the clearly defined exemptions for sales / delivery in the proposed 12061? I think we'd be assuming an awful lot.

mikeinrancho
10-07-2009, 9:58 PM

1) Ah... what difference would the timing of the checking account creation and the mag purchase make? I did wait until I wanted the mags to open the account... I'm not aware of any time limits between the two.

2) The quotes around 'weekend' home were mainly because I don't know what to call the place. Vacation home, retirement home, second home, weekend home, hell if I know. We go out there just about every other weekend... I guess it's an 'every other weekend' home. The mags aren't coming here. I don't need that. I can wait for that every other weekend trip to Nevada and put the 30 rounders in and shoot up sh*t out there.

I assume Big Brother is watching everywhere I go.

</hijack>

I was simply confirming what bwiese said about vendors expecting matching CC addresses and shipping addresses with a 'real life' story.

mikeinrancho
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Make a good friend at www.nevadashooters.com

If I had the $, I would be tempted to open a gunshop at Stateline!

Some of them are already here:

http://mikeandvalery.smugmug.com/photos/673976053_sBN3s-M.jpg

bodger
10-08-2009, 8:40 AM
I don't see an exemption for FFL03 in the bill as I've read it.

ETA... on further review I do see an exemption for the face to face requirement, but I'm left to wonder who is going to ship in to California to other than the clearly defined exemptions for sales / delivery in the proposed 12061? I think we'd be assuming an awful lot.

One of the out of state ammo vendors I deal with for my cowboy loads has already told he will probably cease to take CA orders of any kind if this AB 962 bill goes into effect.

He's got nothing against CA gunnies, and is a huge supporter of the 2A. But he is of the opinion that the CA gun laws have become so convoluted that they are designed to entrap honest law abiding gunnies.

And that the powers that be in CA would be happy as hell to nail an out of state FFL and put him out of business.

bodger
10-08-2009, 8:50 AM
Some of them are already here:

http://mikeandvalery.smugmug.com/photos/673976053_sBN3s-M.jpg

Yeeouch. I went on Nevada Shooters and did a search on "California".

Obviously a great bunch of gunnies. Lots of FUD on the CA gun laws, including AB 962 (not a law yet, obviously).