PDA

View Full Version : California/Fed laws on private ammo sale

Esquire
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi,

As we all know, to sell/transfer firearm, we have to go through FFL intermediary. For ammo, is there such requirement under either CA or Fed law? I searched and did not turn up any such law.

So, selling ammo (in my case 22 LR), face-to-face, is purely cash-and-carry, right? There is no requirement to collect or verify any personal info from buyer, right?

But that means, seller has no way to verify that buyer isn't someone (ex-felon or such) who is prohibited from possessing ammo. Does current law impose any criminal/civil liability to seller for this?

Thanks for inputs/experience you might have.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 10:44 AM
There is no dealer requirement on ammo xfers, nor paperwork requirement on private sales to your buddy, etc.

You should not knowingly sell to felons, mental defectives etc or anyone with whom you are not comfortable. Hell, you can ask.

As far as civil liability, you can always be sued. "You can sue a ham sandwich", so to speak. If there were drama, the ammo is way down the list.

wash
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
+Don't sell your reloads.

bwiese
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
+Don't sell your reloads.

Yes, you should not engage in the repeat sale of reloads for profit.

If you had an old box of your reloads hanging around and wanted to get rid of 'em for $25, that's probably OK. Don't do it repeatedly, don't sell your reloads at a table at a gunshow, etc.

GrizzlyGuy
10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
This federal law comes into play for reloads when it crosses borders:

"It shall be unlawful...for any person...except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce"

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

mmartin
10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, you should not engage in the repeat sale of reloads for profit.

If you had an old box of your reloads hanging around and wanted to get rid of 'em for $25, that's probably OK. Don't do it repeatedly, don't sell your reloads at a table at a gunshow, etc.
so what was with all the reloads I saw for sale at the del mar show? are they officially manufacturers?
megan

Nodda Duma
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
so what was with all the reloads I saw for sale at the del mar show? are they officially manufacturers?
megan

Yes, they should have an FFL 06 license (or an FFL 10 if they're a Big Player). You can make and sell ammunition and reloading components except for AP with an 06.

-Jason