PDA

View Full Version : SKS maintenance question?

Lucky Scott
10-07-2009, 9:13 AM
Okay, kinda new to the SKS platform and to semi auto guns in general.
Lots of experience with bolt action, shotguns, and handguns.

I know not to use oil on the piston, but what about everything else. What to lube, how much, and oil or grease?

Just picked up another SKS from a guy and he had everything, (except the gas piston), covered in grease. After cleaning it up it got me to thinking, maybe I dont use enough grease in mine.

Spiggy
10-07-2009, 1:29 PM
:P it's an SKS, lube with dirt

The grease you cleaned out is most likely cosmoline, a form of packing preservative

Lucky Scott
10-07-2009, 1:35 PM
No, not cosmo. Just regular grease from a gun that has been shot for years.

CSACANNONEER
10-07-2009, 1:47 PM
Seriously, use whatever you want to. I own 3 and rarely waste my time cleanning or lubing them.

Lucky Scott
10-07-2009, 2:00 PM
"I own 3 and rarely waste my time cleanning or lubing them."

Thats how this one looked, like it had been used for month, dirty and greasy. I havent tried it out yet, but I have heard that they work no matter what.

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-07-2009, 2:08 PM
Lube wherethe bolt carrier meets the receiver with a little bit of grease. That's about it.

RAMCHARGER
10-08-2009, 2:29 PM
My SKS needs lubrication?
Its a machined steel brick with like 2 moving parts and a bayonette...

packnrat
10-08-2009, 7:56 PM
Does anybody out there have a spare crossbolt nut laying around?
Can not find any in stock.

Gunaria
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
SKS & cleaning don't belong in the same sentance. As long as you don't shoot that corrosive Yugo junk in it, your good to go.

lineman66
10-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I tend to lube the receiver rails to make operation smoother, but it seems to be a waste of time :P.

and I'm sure you know this already, but if your SKS has a free floating (not spring-loaded) firing pin, take special care to keep the bolt group clean so the firing pin can move back and forth freely and does not stick.

really it's the easiest gun to clean and maintain that I've owned, you'll definitely spend more time shooting than cleaning it :D, so enjoy.

Gunaria, does the yugo surplus shoot really dirty? I've just ordered some...

Gunaria
10-08-2009, 11:30 PM

I was just stating the fact that Yugo surplus 7.62x39 is corrosive, thus you have to clean accordingly. I have not bought nor ever shot any out of an SKS. Just remember to clean you junk after use.:D

glennsche
10-08-2009, 11:47 PM

yugo surp is fine. its technically corrosive but its relatively clean compared to some of the crap i've shot. i got a little paranoid and checked my sks tonight and its got the shiniest bore of anything in the collection aside from the k31s.

you're in good hands!

lineman66
10-09-2009, 12:23 AM
yeah, I can't imagine the yugo surplus shooting dirtier than wolf...:D

johnthomas
10-09-2009, 2:52 AM
I wonder why the military spent so much time teaching us how to clean a weapon and keep it clean? I'm pretty sure I would trust my life to a clean well maintained gun than one that isn't. I have seen so many post's where people brag about how filthy their weapon is. The op is on the right track asking about properly maintaining his SKS.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/cleaning/hs.asp

Lucky Scott
10-09-2009, 8:25 AM
Good link, thanks!

yeah, I am very good about cleaning my guns. Am aware of the corrosive nature of ammo and use the trick with windex and WD 40 right after shooting at the range to get rid of corrosive salts, then follow up with a good cleaning once I get home. always clean my guns the same day as shooting them.
Also shoot russian surplus in my Mosin so I am very aware of the corrosive nature of the ammo. I am shooting mostly Yugo stuff in the SKS and that is good stuff but I still treat it like surplus ammo.

My original question was about how much grease and/or oil to put on the gun when done cleaning. When I took my latest SKS apart I got from a guy it was covered in grease inside and he said he has been shooting it that way. By the time I got it the grease was black and looked like he had not cleaned the gun, except for maybe some patches down the barrel. I was surprised by how much dirty grease was inside the receiver and bolt area. And he was still shooting it that way!

Got me thinking maybe my guns were too "dry"
Really speaks volumes about how good these military guns are if they work "no matter what".

Francis Marion
10-09-2009, 8:35 AM
As has been said, SKSs can run reliably even with neglect. But it's worth maintaining properly simply because it's a firearm. Lube the bolt carrier recesses which mate with the receiver, and the bottom of the bolt carrier where it cams the bolt into and out of battery. Oil or grease will do.

Every part in contact with powder fouling will need the corrosive cleaning method. A kitchen sink, toothbrush to scour off the fouling, hot soapy water, and boiling hot soak / rinse water from a pot or tea kettle are good as a final step to elevate the temperature of the submerged metal parts. Pull them out of the hot water, shake, and they'll dry themselves rapidly. You usually have to sop up water inside tubes (barrel & gas piston sleeve) and deep recesses to ensure timely evaporation of the water. That's the overkill school of corrosive cleaning, less may work fine, but I have never wanted to 'find out' the cleaning threshold of rust. Now you have to re-oil every surface, which takes time; a spray can of lube is handy. This is probably way more than any soldier ever bothered to do for their SKS.

I know, they're rugged, reliable military arms designed for adversity and neglect, but I still baby mine.

CowboyShooter
10-09-2009, 8:48 AM
I was just stating the fact that Yugo surplus 7.62x39 is corrosive, thus you have to clean accordingly. I have not bought nor ever shot any out of an SKS. Just remember to clean you junk after use.:D

words to live by....

:43: