PDA

View Full Version : Double Star Finish/ Semi-Gloss?

tonelar
10-07-2009, 7:09 AM
Hi, I tried searching but didn't find anything about this...
I have a Double Star Upper that looks kinda strange when mounted to my anodized lower. It's either a Satin Black or a Semi Gloss looking finish on the upper.
Is the Double Star lower, the only one with a matching finish?
What is this finish? Is it powder coat or paint?

Namaste,

missiontrails
10-07-2009, 7:28 AM
My CMMG has that finish on the upper and lower. CMMG uses a Teflon coating OVER the black anodizing. I like it, and it's very durable. There is a good chance yours is not tefloned though. My VLTOR MUR upper did not match my lower, but the fit was precise. If your fit is good, don't sweat it. It's a home build rifle, and chances are you will sell components separately anyway in the future.... BTW, a Territorial Gunsmiths lower will come close to your uppers semi finish.

freakshow10mm
10-07-2009, 7:29 AM
It's just Teflon coated over the anodizing.

Darklyte27
10-07-2009, 7:30 AM
I have a doublestar lower, cmmg and stag, the doublestar is more powderish coated while the cmmg i have is shinier.

more importantly is does it shoot straight?!

missiontrails
10-07-2009, 7:32 AM
The Teflon finish is sooo good on my CMMG, I'm thinking of lighting a can of Sterno under it and cookin some eggs, and maybe bacon on it.

tonelar
10-07-2009, 9:22 AM
thanks guys!

sevensix2x51
10-07-2009, 9:30 AM
i dunno what the finish is, but i dont really like it. its in all the pinholes, and in the hole for the safety. i had to work my safety back and forth about 150 time just to get it to operate without using both thumbs... i wish they would be more careful about getting that stuff into places with tight tolerances... other than that, the doublestar is a decent lower. not the prettiest, but the cuts are all the right size, and in the right places. and it was cheap. but its no kaiser...

Cal-Irish
10-07-2009, 1:47 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5778/lowerassmo.jpg

Should be very similar

missiontrails
10-07-2009, 2:01 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5778/lowerassmo.jpg

Should be very similar

Yes that would, especially if you buff the lower with some Slip 2000 or CLP.