View Full Version : whats it worth.

10-06-2009, 10:05 PM
custom built turk mauser 30-06 1" stainless fluted barrel, timmney trigger ,ramline stock ,leupold mounts, and a bushnell scope. i built this a few years ago and fired no more than 20 rounds threw it. i know the pic sucks but it's the best my phone will do.

10-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Generally speaking, customized or sporterized milsurps are never worth more than the original gun unless someone of notariety owned or worked on the gun. That said, it's probably worth a good $400 tops (with the optics) unless you found someone who wanted EXACTLY that in their gun and then you might be able to sell it for 80% of the investment without factoring in labor.

In all honesty, you'd probably fare better parting it out and selling it as a completed action, the scope and base, the stock, and barrel.

ETA: In these cases, if you can produce a target with very nice groups at a good distance, such as .5 MOA at 300 yards, it would certainly open the appeal to someone looking for a cheap and ready hunting rifle or starting long range rifle that's ready 'out of the box'.

10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
i'm thinking if i can trade it off or sell it for what i have invested into it ( parts only) i would off it since i don't shoot it. when i sighted it in, i was putting 5 rounds within a 1" at 100 yds. and stopped shooting it after i got to that point. wether it will shoot better than that i don't know, i was happy with what i did and put it up. i know i have between 5-600 into it.

10-06-2009, 10:54 PM
The reason I said you could make more parted out is because you could probably get a good $200-250 for the action alone, the barrel could be sold for $100-150 as it's still very useable even if it had to be turned down and re-chambered. So on a good day you could already be at where I figure the entire gun would sell at before you even sold the stock, optics, or trigger. The added effort of you taking it apart and selling each part individually could net you $500 and upwards towards $600 if you're lucky. But I think you're going to go through a lot of effort to get that much and in the end it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Like I said, $400 is probably a safe bet with the potential to get more IF you find someone who wants exactly what you've made.

10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Having rebuilt/restored a few weapons, cars, boats and motorcycles in my time, I soon learned it is cheaper to buy the damn things rebuilt or restored than doing it yourself. Even with my cheap labor it was usually a financial loss. Consider what someone can buy for 5-600 dollars. Another point, I think it is no longer C&R ???. Very nice looking weapon, my guess about $300 max. my ha-penny