PDA

View Full Version : Best .308 Ar ?

Crazy_J
10-06-2009, 6:44 PM
After building several AR's , I want to start building an AR .308.
What would you guy's say is the best way to get started.
I am looking for a Good quality shooter, Accuracy a must.
What is the differance between a AR10 or Dpms set up?
What manufacture is known for Quality.
What lowers are available for Ca.
What would be the best setup (upper/lower)?

Any help would be helpful.

five.five-six
10-06-2009, 6:46 PM
you can't put a dpms on an armalite lower.. go with aeroprecision IMO, it's a eagle lower

technique
10-06-2009, 6:47 PM
Armalite platform. IMO.

five.five-six
10-06-2009, 6:48 PM
just not hesse :pewwwww: (which is the armalite platform)

StevieC
10-06-2009, 6:49 PM
FAL :)

technique
10-06-2009, 6:55 PM
FAIL :)

you forgot the "I":D

Just kidding, FALs are nice just not as good at distance in comparison:)

joemama
10-06-2009, 6:57 PM
DPMS seem to have more parts available for the .308 platform. AR-10 uppers are still kind of hard to come by right now. I'm still looking for an upper for mine. Not sure if its available yet but LWRC's REPR looks pretty nifty, its for the AR-10 platform.

five.five-six
10-06-2009, 7:19 PM
FAIL :)
you forgot the "I":D

LAWL :D

dawson8r
10-06-2009, 7:47 PM
Armalite platform.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-06-2009, 7:57 PM
Another vote Armalite.

madcount
10-06-2009, 8:21 PM
I have an Armalite SASS upper on a Noveske N6 lower. No complaints here.

slick_711
10-06-2009, 8:31 PM
I vote you build up a J.D. Machine PR3 lower! They're DPMS pattern and made right here in CA (San Diego) by the same guys that made the Calguns lowers. They just recently released their .308s, and have them coming off the machines right now. Look for them from your local OLL shops soon, or call J.D. Machine and talk to Rob about getting one directly from them.

Upon my inspection the receivers are really well done. Very well machined, smooth lines, glossy anodizing, and of course they say CA on the side so that doesn't hurt. They're billet CNC machined, and in my opinion are nicer than many of the other .308 options on the market (and I've handled lots of AR10s). Nicer than CMMG without a doubt, and I'd say they're better than DPMS or Armalite/Eagle as well. They'll also hook you up with an upper to go with it.

I DROS'd mine just the other day, and will be building as sweet of a rifle as my finances will allow.

tommyid1
10-06-2009, 10:20 PM
armalite

whobob
10-07-2009, 4:44 AM
DPMS, Krieger makes barrels upgrades for them now.

Hk996
10-07-2009, 4:54 AM
There are a few feature differences between the armalite and dpms.... I know dpms has forward assist and armalite does not... there are a few others but I can't think of them right now. Now, I don't really use forward assist on my current AR's, so when I decided to build one, I went with whatever style the lower was that I chose. I went with Noveske and they are armalite type. I had my upper built by GA precision and am happy with the way it turned out.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/Gun/PA030004.jpg

technique
10-07-2009, 5:08 AM
Armalite did come out with a forward assist FYI

five.five-six
10-07-2009, 5:45 AM
forward assist is not really needed IMO with .308

JagerTroop
10-07-2009, 6:01 AM
I like DPMS, if only for the fact that mags are waaaaay cheaper. Armalite mags are about twice the cost.

JTROKS
10-07-2009, 6:44 AM
I never had a problem with a R25/DPMS it's a solid shooter and pretty darn accurate with 168 grain HPBT bullets. I don't know why I sold it, but I am building another with an Armalite platform.

Rommel
10-07-2009, 7:32 AM
There are a few feature differences between the armalite and dpms.... I know dpms has forward assist and armalite does not... there are a few others but I can't think of them right now. Now, I don't really use forward assist on my current AR's, so when I decided to build one, I went with whatever style the lower was that I chose. I went with Noveske and they are armalite type. I had my upper built by GA precision and am happy with the way it turned out.

What height bipod is that?

problemchild
10-07-2009, 8:40 AM

Seems like a 308 would bounce like a rodeo bull being up on those 3 legs. Doesnt seem like an accurate configuration.

djleisure
10-07-2009, 8:44 AM
Seems like a 308 would bounce like a rodeo bull being up on those 3 legs. Doesnt seem like an accurate configuration.

Luckily, I don't think he's sniping off of his chest-of-drawers. ;)

slick_711
10-07-2009, 9:11 AM

Odd, there are dozens of pictures of bolt action .308s here with that same setup, nobody ever questions them... and they don't even have a 12" spring to assist with recoil control. :confused:

evollep3
10-07-2009, 9:59 AM
I say DPMS because of Fulton and POF and DPMS is not that bad with their stainless barrel

bomb_on_bus
10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
depends on what you have a budget for.

you can build up a .308 based off the armalite or DPMS design for the same amount of money. I see some good setups going for around 1.5-2k all the time. on the same note you could spend several thousand on a custom accurized .308 platform.

both styles have just about the same amount industry support.

I have shot the DPMS SASS the armalite SASS a few variant POF models and GAP tuned set up and all were good platforms.

I havent tried any of the import .308 platforms or Rockriver, but like I said earlier theres tons of options and price ranges to consider.

jmf_tracy
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
+1 on the GAP.
i have a GAP built upper on my fulton armory (DPMS style) lower.

Crazy_J
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the info guys,
as for budget I'm looking at 1.5-2.5K.
Looking to start buying all the components ASAP.

jmf_tracy
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
i would suggest that you build a fulton armory lower (dpms compatible) yourself and have GAP build your upper. they guarantee 3/4 moa on their AR-10 builds but it should be more like 1/2 moa. it will come out to about 2.5K total not including optics.

Crazy_J
10-07-2009, 6:51 PM

Very nice looking rifle, That is pretty much what i am looking to ?
HOw does it Shoot (Group)?
Last time i checked Noveske lower were not available anymore.

Crazy_J
10-07-2009, 6:54 PM
How are CMMG lowers.
I here they make them for both DPMS and Armalite uppers.

slappomatt
10-07-2009, 7:15 PM
I wish someone would make a lower that took DPMS mags and used armalite uppers. I sure would like to be able to get 308 Pmags when they become available....

HkUSP45
10-07-2009, 7:32 PM
Get one of each. Best of both world.

Close up pic CMMG lower w/DPMS 24" upper.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/tw0leftskis/Guns/IMG_1919.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/tw0leftskis/Guns/IMG_1918.jpg
rear take down pin. small gap at the rear. I'm holding the rifle up by the free float tube, one handed. There's some freeplay. but its normal.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/tw0leftskis/Guns/IMG_1921.jpg

front pivot pin pic
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/tw0leftskis/Guns/IMG_1923.jpg

220RR
10-07-2009, 7:37 PM
I wish someone would make a lower that took DPMS mags and used armalite uppers. I sure would like to be able to get 308 Pmags when they become available....

hesse

DSeifert
10-07-2009, 7:41 PM
I'm hoping to build a 308 on my POF lower when I get the funds. I would love a POF, Fulton or equal if i could afford it, but right now I think I'll have to settle for a DPMS upper due to the price of the upper assemblies.
Anyone here build a 308 on a lower that was compatible with a G3 mag? I'd like to know how the build went. It is my understanding that the upper has to be modified. Though I did read that SI Defense is making a 308 lower and upper pair that are made for G3 mags. Anyone have experience with those?

slick_711
10-07-2009, 7:45 PM
I'm starting to plan out my build for my JD Machine PR3 but I can't seem to find barrels anywhere that aren't $600+... Cost is a factor, but I want quality so I'm willing to spend within reason.

So does anyone have a line on a source for decent DPMS pattern barrels? I'd like 18" chrome lined or SS, not looking for anything too heavy, but good quality. If I remember correctly Randall had told me in a PM some months back that he wasn't doing barrels for the time being, and I don't know where else to look. Google isn't very helpful.

Hk996
10-07-2009, 8:53 PM
What height bipod is that?

I'm not sure of the height... i picked it up at riflegear last weekend and they had a short one and a longer one... this is the longer one. The legs will extend out of there also.

Hk996
10-07-2009, 9:08 PM
Very nice looking rifle, That is pretty much what i am looking to ?
HOw does it Shoot (Group)?
Last time i checked Noveske lower were not available anymore.

I didn't know Noveske didn't offer their lower anymore..... here is the best group I've done... but must have been kinda lucky, cause I haven't done anymore that tight... though at ASR it easily hits steal out to 400yrds.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/Gun/PA070002.jpg

Crazy_J
10-07-2009, 9:28 PM
Any body heard or have any experience with Iron Ridge Arms (IRA-10)?
They do DPMS and ARmalite recievers.

Crazy_J
10-07-2009, 9:31 PM
I didn't know Noveske didn't offer their lower anymore..... here is the best group I've done... but must have been kinda lucky, cause I haven't done anymore that tight... though at ASR it easily hits steal out to 400yrds.

That is great grouping for your AR-10 setup.
Just what im looking for.
pm sent

problemchild
10-08-2009, 9:05 AM

I think you are suppose to measure bullet center to center. Makes that hole a lot smaller.

Matt P
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM

I would say that is an incredible group.
5 rounds at a 100 yards? Amazing.

I can appreciate the fact that you have to do everything the same with each shot cycle. The way you touch the trigger, where your body makes contact with the rifle, and not to even add in just the scope alignment and insuring the retical is in the same place each time. That my friend is very impressive demonstration of your very developed shooting skill.

Please tell us if you shot that off the bi-pod or bags or whatever. And maybe a little about your background in shooting?

And on his measuring, it looks to me he is properly measuring from center to center..

Jpach
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
HK996, awesome group. GAP built it right? Do you reload?

HUTCH 7.62
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
FAL

Hk996
10-08-2009, 2:55 PM
I would say that is an incredible group.
5 rounds at a 100 yards? Amazing.

I can appreciate the fact that you have to do everything the same with each shot cycle. The way you touch the trigger, where your body makes contact with the rifle, and not to even add in just the scope alignment and insuring the retical is in the same place each time. That my friend is very impressive demonstration of your very developed shooting skill.

Please tell us if you shot that off the bi-pod or bags or whatever. And maybe a little about your background in shooting?

And on his measuring, it looks to me he is properly measuring from center to center..

Thanks for the compliment... Here is a pic of how that group was done... seriously, not sure how, but when I did this, it was during the break in period. I shot one shot, took off the upper, cleaned it, put it back, put another bullet in, aimed shot, repeat. five times. I didn't try to resight the scope (was aiming at the center each time) cause I wanted to see what the gun would do.

No real training or anything other than watching sniper, hitman, heat, shooter and other gun movies :)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/Gun/P2280009.jpg

C.G.
10-08-2009, 2:56 PM
Armalite.

Hk996
10-08-2009, 2:58 PM
HK996, awesome group. GAP built it right? Do you reload?

Yes, GAP. I would like to reload. I have bought some components and made bullets once at bambam31's place. I need/ want to do more, but right now, I have no space at my place for the setup and can't always make it to friends places to reload. Still would like to make a round that is just right for the gun.

bomb_on_bus
10-08-2009, 4:44 PM
If ya are going with a lower build off gun theres plenty of vendors to choose from.

The newest to the .308 AR style list is Kaiser which looks impressive but havent heard anyone build a rifle off of that lower but I would imagine its just as good as any other lower out on the market.

Iron Ridge is also sorta new to the .308 lower field AFAIK anyways. I have seen em all over gun broker and a couple of build off rifles and pretty much the same thing as it being as good as the others out there.

POF makes a decent .308 receiver as well but no better then the other 2 listed above.

CMMG is pretty decent as well and I have seen a build off floating around town but didnt get to ask how the owner liked it but I would imagine it was as good as any other lower out on the market.

Fulton makes a good dpms style lower and I have seen them going for the mid to high end of 400.00+

They all run in the 400.00 dollar range depending on where you go I have seen POF and IR lowers for around 350.00.

Bushmaster makes a dpms style .308 lower as well but don't know the legality of it here in CA though.

DPMS lowers can be had for 300.00 maybe even cheaper since all the gun buying craze has died down since the elections last year.

RRA lowers are just as cheap and I am not sure on the legality of them in CA.

JP is another dpms style design but I havent seen any lowers by themselves for sale just complete .308 rifles.

Knights Armament makes a good lower and have lots of good reviews but are banned under CA laws.

Noveske makes a .308 lower in the armalite style as well and runs in the 400.00 range as well.

Aero Precision is another armalite style .308 lower that is CA legal in the 400.00 range as well.

LWRC just came out with a .308 rifle and I don't know if its DPMS or armalite (leaning towards armalite) compatible but from what I can tell its a custom design that looks proprietary havent seen any lowers just complete rifles.

larue tactical just came out with a .308 platform as well which looks to be armalite compatible and haven't seen any lowers alone for sale either just complete rifles.

Crazy_J
10-08-2009, 6:39 PM
Are DPMS 308 lowers legal in Ca?

Toolfreak66
10-08-2009, 7:22 PM
Armalite parts with an Aero lower. Best AR-10 we can get here in CA!

jmf_tracy
10-08-2009, 7:35 PM
Are DPMS 308 lowers legal in Ca?

no. you can buy a fulton armory lower which is DPMS compatible.

Ghillie-man
10-08-2009, 7:59 PM
Noveske / Armalite

Jpach
10-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Yes, GAP. I would like to reload. I have bought some components and made bullets once at bambam31's place. I need/ want to do more, but right now, I have no space at my place for the setup and can't always make it to friends places to reload. Still would like to make a round that is just right for the gun.

Sweet, do you mind me asking how much your setup ran you? I think I may get my upper sent to GAP to rebarrel and do whatever other cool things that they do to it. Perhaps Ill even have them change it to .260. Either way I want a GAP!

Let me know when you take that baby out next time and we can blast our .308s together and such. I always need an excuse to put more rounds together

Matt P
10-09-2009, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the image and the response HK996.

You are well equipped for such a group with your shooting accessories. Me thinks you have a fair developed ability, and an appreciation into what it takes to shoot tiny little holes.

Be well HK, and enjoy the peace of mind in knowing what your rifle is capable of if you do your part.