PDA

View Full Version : Winchester safe at costco...

GoingPro
10-06-2009, 2:37 PM
is this a good and reliable safe? i seen one today and do you guys think its big enough ? i have two ak's an AR and a 1911 i plan to add more rifles and a few handguns. or should i just wait a while and get something big enough that i will never have to replace.

djleisure
10-06-2009, 2:41 PM
or should i just wait a while and get something big enough that i will never have to replace.
Hahhaa! That's a good one! I tried that and it lasted all of a year... :D

You should probably start with something a little bigger than you think you'll need (if you have the space for it.) That way there will be less "banging around" your guns in there anyway.

crob
10-06-2009, 2:43 PM
I was looking at those too. It is probably big enough for what you have now with room for a few more, but personally I would go a little bigger. It would fit what I have now, but not allow for some future purchase I have planned, as well as whatever the GF wants to throw in there. I say buy as big as you can afford, I don't think I've heard anybody say they wish they bought a smaller safe....

justin_5585
10-06-2009, 5:44 PM
Another place that has safe's (at least up here) at a reasonable price is Tractor Supply Company. I believe ours caries cannon and browning safes.

secretasianman
10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I have one: starting to feel cramped. It's holding 4 pistols, lots of ammo, 5 long guns, laptop, external backup hard drives... Etc.

I think it'll get the job done protecting your stuff against smash and grab burglars. I dint think any professional safe crackers will be hitting up my house... I'm not important or rich enough.

tankerman
10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I have one: starting to feel cramped. It's holding 4 pistols, lots of ammo, 5 long guns, laptop, external backup hard drives... Etc.Why are you storing ammo in a safe?

mebethekoko
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Why are you storing ammo in a safe?

I'm guessing he keeps his ammo in his safe for the same reason I keep my ammo in my safe: To prevent people from stealing my ammo.

dot429
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
If you plan on staying in the gun hobby/shooting sports, take it from experience, don't go cheap on a safe, and if you have the room, buy one that is TWICE as big as you think you need. By the time you put your guns and other valuables in it, you'll see that safes fill up quickly.

Also, from experience, pay a pro to deliver it and bolt it down to the floor if possible. Think of a safe as a life-long investment.

Best,

Michael

k1dude
10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
It's probably not the best idea to store ammo or reloading supplies in a safe. In effect you're creating a big bomb. It's better to store those items in a locked cabinet.

chuckdc
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Another place that has safe's (at least up here) at a reasonable price is Tractor Supply Company. I believe ours caries cannon and browning safes.

Got my Cannon from TSC, it was less than 700 bucks out the door after I got a "store grand opening" discount. I made sure to get the one with the S&G dial lock because I prefer that (OK, so i'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to some things) Our local store carries Cannon and another brand (Bighorn?) in 24 and 36-gun sizes, and they are 100 to 300 bucks cheaper than the nearest stores that carry the same safes.
Last time they had a sale, they had the 36-gun Cannon for $789:eek::cool2:

They were really cool about loading the safe onto the trailer I rented, also. Took me and a couple other guys to get the thing into the house, but now I feel somewhat better than I did when I just had my little Homak locker.

Still, even with the new addition, I have stayed with a layered defense here. The safe isnt the only thing.

Flying Bones
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I bought that POS from Costco...wouldn't even open when I got it home. The electronics were crap. That was the 2nd one MY Costco had to send back...not good odds. I never saw more than 10 of them on the floor at that store.
I got my money back, went to a safe co and got a dial lock. YMMV.

tankerman
10-07-2009, 2:33 PM
I'm guessing he keeps his ammo in his safe for the same reason I keep my ammo in my safe: To prevent people from stealing my ammo.
My guess is he doesn't have much ammo then.

Flying Bones
10-07-2009, 3:00 PM
My guess is he doesn't have much ammo then.

How much ammo do you think you can store in a safe? THOUSANDS of rounds to say the least...from what i've been told.:43:

Vanguard
10-07-2009, 3:36 PM
It's probably not the best idea to store ammo or reloading supplies in a safe. In effect you're creating a big bomb. It's better to store those items in a locked cabinet.

So, what you're saying is that you shouldn't store those items in a confined space, you should store them in a confined space?

Got it. :D

Caeser2001
10-07-2009, 3:37 PM

Same reason here

CSACANNONEER
10-07-2009, 3:43 PM

The way I see it you have two problems, not enough ammo and not enough firearms. Or, you have too much cash and just like collecting safes. But, to each his own.

Vanguard
10-07-2009, 3:55 PM
Jeez...WTF is wrong with people?!

If the guy wants to store his $#@$ing ammo in his safe, who gives a rat's furry ***?

PeterGenius
10-07-2009, 4:03 PM
Jeez...WTF is wrong with people?!

They are upset they don't have as much ammo as us :43:

My two cents is that regardless of what safe it is, get a professional to bolt it down. If people have the audacity to get into your house, they will take a dolly and leave with everything. As the saying goes, if its not bolted down its portable.

220RR
10-07-2009, 4:23 PM
if anyone is looking for safes,let me know.i can get them at a discount.(bay area only)..PM me.i can get AMSEC(american security),Gardall,adesco

tankerman
10-07-2009, 5:10 PM
That's a good one. None of my safes have room in them for ammo.

Mine will be stored in a safe when I build a vault.
They are upset they don't have as much ammo as us :43:

maschronic
10-07-2009, 5:21 PM
i have the winchester model that costco sells. it is a 24 gun safe. it is plenty big!! i never had any problems with it as long as i have owned it. i think it has been like 5 years now. i opened it just about every day. it weights about 500lbs or so.

Tankerman, some people do store ammo in their safes. i have 16 rifles, 13 handguns and 13k of ammo in the safe. i still have a shelf in the safe to store personal belongings. if that isn't big enough, then i don't know.

HeHateMe
10-07-2009, 5:29 PM
i'd suggest the Liberty Safes FATBOY. I think it holds 64 rifles..plenty of room for future growth.

dawson8r
10-07-2009, 8:02 PM
As others have pointed out, buy bigger than you think you will ever need because someday it will probably be crowded. On the other hand, a smaller safe might keep you from buying more firearms than you will ever need.

Carnivore
10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
As others have pointed out, buy bigger than you think you will ever need because someday it will probably be crowded. On the other hand, a smaller safe might keep you from buying more firearms than you will ever need.

Or you wind up buying a second safe for the "other" guns you forgot you would be wanting. I might be looking for number 3 soon. Damn I am stupid.

swerv512
10-08-2009, 4:15 AM
i wish i had a safe that could store all my firearms , ammo, and reloading components- but it would have to be alot bigger than my current safe. do yourself a favor and buy the safe at least one size (model up) bigger than you're alreay thinking about...
the worst thing is running out of room, trust me. and keep the ammo outta that safe- unless you're just using it as additional weight- that way you can squeeze every single lever action, bolt action, or bazooka in there...