PDA

View Full Version : 3x Magnifier w/ green laser

L4D
10-06-2009, 1:48 PM
I was wondering if any have you have tried this combination? what your thoughts on it as well.

A 3x magnifier and a green/red laser sight.

Thanks.

reidnez
10-06-2009, 1:51 PM
I'll pose the obvious question: why wouldn't you use a red-dot sight or an ACOG? I'm not sure what the purpose would be of using a laser with a magnifier.

L4D
10-06-2009, 1:53 PM
I'll pose the obvious question: why wouldn't you use a red-dot sight or an ACOG? I'm not sure what the purpose would be of using a laser with a magnifier.

so you can use it either way. through the magnifier for longer distances and without the magnifier for maybe 10-50 yards.

reidnez
10-06-2009, 2:03 PM
so you can use it either way. through the magnifier for longer distances and without the magnifier for maybe 10-50 yards.

Hmmm, it is an interesting idea actually. I guess I'd have to see it in action.

Flying Bones
10-06-2009, 2:09 PM
Seems complete useless to me.
The laser is only good in low light conditions.

100 yds in daylight = no see nothing.

WeekendWarrior
10-06-2009, 2:10 PM
WWRTW

L4D
10-06-2009, 2:18 PM
Do you think you would be able to see the laser at 100 yards with the magnifier?

i know its probably really hard to see it @ 100 yards with the naked eye.

technique
10-06-2009, 2:36 PM
Lasers are only good for the set distance you have them sighted for....
A laser is a straight line, a bullet arcs. I'm not seeing how a magnifier is coming into play here.....can you explain a little more :)

L4D
10-06-2009, 3:14 PM
Oh your right. It's sighted at a designated distance.

Magnified red dot + laser would be the way to go.

sevensix2x51
10-06-2009, 3:24 PM
i would leave out the laser. an aimpoint with a magnifier is going to set you back several hundred dollars already, and add a pound to your rifle...

tomd1584
10-06-2009, 4:51 PM
why the need for the laser? like Technique said, if your laser is set to 50 yards, it will be off at 100, even farther off at 150, etc..

a red dot with magnifier is perfectly fine. the laser seems a little mall ninja-ish.

technique
10-06-2009, 5:32 PM
he may be able to get it to work....he would just need to be damn good at judging distance. Say he sets the laser at 25, he would be back on at 300....but off anywhere in between. Or 50-200....

tomd1584
10-06-2009, 5:38 PM
lets say he gets it right...wont the dot from the RDS cover up the green one? I would think if they;re both zeroed at the same POA/POI

technique
10-06-2009, 5:41 PM
So I think I'm picking up what you are putting down now. You don't really want the red dot sight. You want a magnifier to see your laser on the target at far distances?

So maybe this will help...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP097-1.html

It magnifies and has a range aperture in it. Well, to size up a tank...but you get the picture...... It will work with a 1in ring.

L4D
10-06-2009, 6:38 PM
So I think I'm picking up what you are putting down now. You don't really want the red dot sight. You want a magnifier to see your laser on the target at far distances?

It magnifies and has a range aperture in it. Well, to size up a tank...but you get the picture...... It will work with a 1in ring.

Yes thats exactly what i meant, i want to be able to see my laser on the target through a magnifier.
Thanks for the link that will actually work better for what i had in mind, it looks lighter in weight as well. It would aid in teaching me to judge distance better.

Flying Bones
10-06-2009, 7:45 PM
why the need for the laser? like Technique said, if your laser is set to 50 yards, it will be off at 100, even farther off at 150, etc... Same with a scope...we still use scopes. The OP would have to be able to guestimate his hold over/under.

That would work...in theory...and do a good enough job of allowing him to judge hold over/under.

OP, The idea of magnifying your laser likely wouldn't work. It's going to take more than 4 power magnification to see a laser on a target at 100 yds in broad daylight without lots of squinting, squirming and 20/10 vision. Stick with a red dot, and be a happy camper. If you want to magnify the red dot, you have that option. Keep thinking outside the box.