PDA

View Full Version : So Sad... Cheaper than Dirt!

Purple K
10-06-2009, 2:16 PM
I tried to order an upper assy. from cheaper than Dirt. Their online system wouldn't ship it to California. I e-mailed them to complain and here's their rersponse;

I am sorry for the confusion, but we do not sell things like this upper in CA to limit our legal liability exposure.

Thank you,

Scott Fuller
Product Tech
Cheaper Than Dirt!

Requiem
10-06-2009, 2:20 PM
Yeah from what I've heard the general consensus is they suck with OLL/CA compliant stuff like that.

fonionrings
10-06-2009, 2:24 PM
The only thing I purchase from CTD is ammo.

slappomatt
10-06-2009, 2:35 PM
even their ammo is generally overpriced. avoid that place like the pauge

5150Marcelo
10-06-2009, 2:37 PM
Just let them know that theyre skipping out on alot of money by not shipping here. Call them, place a HUGE order, then tack on somemore items, then get ready to pay, and when they say that they dont ship to CA, just say no prob, you'll spend your thousands of dollars elsewhere. I bet they might make an acception this one time *as long as you dont have anything that IS illegal for CA*. If they do accept, tell them naw, that you dont ship monies to CTD. LOL

CalNRA
10-06-2009, 2:41 PM

it seems like they had a management change. they used to be great with ammo not too long ago. Hell I was getting 45auto Selliot and Bellot for 7 dollars a box in 05!!!!:mad:

ke6guj
10-06-2009, 2:42 PM
nothing new. There are probably hundreds of threads bemoaning the fact that CTD won't sell a CA-resident a CA-legal item. And guess what, it'll probably happen hundreds of times more.

reidnez
10-06-2009, 2:49 PM
I don't fret about such things. There are plenty of good CA vendors (including some who support this site), and a few wise out-of-state merchants, who are happy to accept my money.

Black Majik
10-06-2009, 2:52 PM
Yeah from what I've heard the general consensus is they suck with OLL/CA compliant stuff like that.

Not only that, they SUCK in general. Want some amusing time killers? Go browse the CTD subforum on ARFcom. They get ragged on by out of staters all the time. They are the J&J Armory of Calguns.

fonionrings
10-06-2009, 3:01 PM

Yeah it used to be a whole lot better =/

Noobert
10-06-2009, 3:17 PM
I'll bet the next thing they don't sell to CA is going to be ear protection

j_deisbeck
10-06-2009, 3:42 PM
they won't ship collapsable stocks to CA either

technique
10-06-2009, 3:47 PM
Well...in all honesty, you have been here on this site since 2008....you should know CTD will not ship that kind of stuff to CA by now.

A CTD thread pops up every few weeks, if not every week. At least now you know from first hand experience.

pontiacpratt
10-06-2009, 5:11 PM
I tried to buy a Houge AR pistol grip... a no go to Cali:(

gn3hz3ku1*
10-06-2009, 5:26 PM
cheaper than dirt has exp dirt

missiontrails
10-06-2009, 5:33 PM
They should change their name to "Service Like Dirt."

Greg-Dawg
10-06-2009, 5:36 PM
Bravo Company will take care of you.

missiontrails
10-06-2009, 5:53 PM
Bravo Company will take care of you.

+1, ALWAYS 100% solid.

Greg-Dawg
10-06-2009, 5:59 PM
+1, ALWAYS 100% solid.

And you can't go wrong with $475 for a chrome lined barrel.

bondmid003
10-06-2009, 6:03 PM
Which upper were you trying to buy from them? The YHM one in their catalog?

Paul
10-06-2009, 6:09 PM
Yeah it used to be a whole lot better =/

Ten years ago I started doing business with them ... and then sometime while living in Corona they went south on us. They stopped selling pistol caliber ammo - whatever that is - to me because part of Corona is in LA county and part is in Riverside ... and LA CITY was prohibiting the purchase of handgun ammo. I quit them and Sportsmen China Junk Guide too.

BHPFan
10-06-2009, 6:16 PM
I stopped buying from them long time ago as they are not exactly cheap anymore. Maybe 10 years ago they were "Cheaper Than Dirt", but now they are more like "Pricier than $h!t"

Justintoxicated
10-06-2009, 6:20 PM
I just got 500 rounds of silverbear 62 grain BT from them for 24 cents a round. Is it cheaper some place else?

BB63Squid
10-06-2009, 7:29 PM
Their no ship to CA policy is the re4son I throw they catalogs directly into the garbage.

BHPFan
10-06-2009, 8:05 PM
Their no ship to CA policy is the re4son I throw they catalogs directly into the garbage.

I wonder why they even bother mailing their catalogs to California if they are not shipping anything there.

BHPFan
10-06-2009, 8:07 PM
I just got 500 rounds of silverbear 62 grain BT from them for 24 cents a round. Is it cheaper some place else?

Do you live in CA?

How can you get them to ship to you?

Even when I was able to order from them, their shipping charges made the order even more expensive.

pl408
10-06-2009, 8:26 PM

I wonder why they even bother mailing their catalogs to California if they are not shipping anything there.

pretty funny, I also fire their catalog in the trash

arjedi
10-06-2009, 8:28 PM
Try pkfirearms.com. They ship to CA. I got my upper from them last month.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/

1859sharps
10-06-2009, 8:35 PM

REALLY?????? and here I thought they were "Cheaper than Dirt!" :D

Justintoxicated
10-06-2009, 8:38 PM
Do you live in CA?

How can you get them to ship to you?

Even when I was able to order from them, their shipping charges made the order even more expensive.

heh they ship ammo to San Diego.

MAD SVT
10-06-2009, 8:41 PM
This was saturdays delivery... (minus the mini mags and UMC 9mm.. i got that from walmart also on saturday)

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab215/madscobra/PA030071.jpg

Cheaper than dirt delivered to Cali...

bondmid003
10-06-2009, 8:52 PM
They've shipped to me in San Diego as well

Justintoxicated
10-06-2009, 8:59 PM
This was saturdays delivery... (minus the mini mags and UMC 9mm.. i got that from walmart also on saturday)

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab215/madscobra/PA030071.jpg

Cheaper than dirt delivered to Cali...

So you bought all the CCI mini mags and left m with the crappy but expensive 22lr :P

Seesm
10-06-2009, 9:06 PM
There is more they do not ship to Ca. ...At least when I check for what I want they will not ship to us. I steer clear of them now because of this.

MAD SVT
10-06-2009, 9:55 PM
So you bought all the CCI mini mags and left m with the crappy but expensive 22lr :P

haha yup... i bought every box of UMC 9mm and CCI 22 they had... only 17 boxes.

packnrat
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is another complant about ctd, cheesey outfit.
My money goes else were.
Just last mo I get a small package from ctd thought it was there catalog... NO it was a bunch of add's for other junk-not gun related-
a bag of flyers trying to sell me junk I do not want or need.

L4D
10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow they really do suck. According to their site i cant even order an AR pistol grip....

socomIInato
10-06-2009, 11:05 PM
remember since there in CA they charge you CA taxes:mad:

socomIInato
10-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Try pkfirearms.com. They ship to CA. I got my upper from them last month.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/

I`ve dealt with pk, there allright stand behind what they sell.

fonionrings
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
remember since there in CA they charge you CA taxes:mad:

If you are referring to CTD then you are wrong.

Barney Gumble
10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I think he's confusing PK Firearms with PRK Firearms.

stillnotbob
10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it is "funny" that CTD will not ship a completely built AR upper to Calif., but that they will ship to me a complete upper AR receiver. Minus the barrel then it's okay?:confused:

Purple K
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Well...in all honesty, you have been here on this site since 2008....you should know CTD will not ship that kind of stuff to CA by now.

A CTD thread pops up every few weeks, if not every week. At least now you know from first hand experience.

I don't need you or anyone else telling me what I "should know". I don't eat, sleep and breath on this forum like some. So, if I missed the previous posts about Cheaper Than Dirt.... Well, I guess I was out having a life! Did you ever think that I had seen the previous posts, but wanted to post this for the benefit of the Newbies.... GEEZ!

technique
10-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't need you or anyone else telling me what I "should know". I don't eat, sleep and breath on this forum like some. So, if I missed the previous posts about Cheaper Than Dirt.... Well, I guess I was out having a life! Did you ever think that I had seen the previous posts, but wanted to post this for the benefit of the Newbies.... GEEZ!

Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way....:)

But another indication would be the restrictions box...its located right under the product.

its says: Sorry, we can't ship this to CA

Purple K
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I think that it's prudent of them to have the restrictions box due to various state-by-state restrictions. However, restricting legal items is definately not prudent.

missiontrails
10-07-2009, 1:12 PM

Purple K, not the place to be if you are going throw an attitude. I can see that you have not contributed much here (124 posts, 0 iTrader, which is OK), but you have probably benefited from information posted here by those with "no life" somewhere along the way. Those who appear to have "no life" here provide massive amounts of useful information for those who may not have the time to research topics (Due to having a life). Just remember that:)

chuckdc
10-07-2009, 1:19 PM
I tried to buy a Houge AR pistol grip... a no go to Cali:(

That's freakin' hilarious, considering that HOGUE IS IN CA!!

:banghead:

Purple K
10-07-2009, 1:37 PM
Purple K, not the place to be if you are going throw an attitude. I can see that you have not contributed much here (124 posts, 0 iTrader, which is OK), but you have probably benefited from information posted here by those with "no life" somewhere along the way. Those who appear to have "no life" here provide massive amounts of useful information for those who may not have the time to research topics (Due to having a life). Just remember that:)

Yes, I have gleened a tremendous amount of information from this forum. Yes, I am very appreciative of those users that take the time to do the research and post their findings. I was a very hesitant to post anything at first, I just read and read and read some more. I wanted to be educated. I didn't want to embarrass myself by posting bad information. As of late I have fealt more comfortable posting comments and getting involved. I attended the Nordyke hearing a few weeks ago. I distributed 2,000 AB962 fliers in Solano County. I have organized a Range Clean-up. I didn't mean to insinuate that folks on the forum don't have a life. Everyone's situation is different, some have more free time, some have less, due to kids, work, etc. If I've offended anyone I'm truly sorry, that was not my intention. If one chooses to spend their time on this forum that's great! But it shouldn't be expected or assumed that anyone/everyone KNOWS certain things.

Pistolwhipped
10-07-2009, 1:42 PM
Another one bites the dust. If they can't man up we don't need them

missiontrails
10-07-2009, 1:48 PM
Yes, I have gleened a tremendous amount of information from this forum. Yes, I am very appreciative of those users that take the time to do the research and post their findings. I was a very hesitant to post anything at first, I just read and read and read some more. I wanted to be educated. I didn't want to embarrass myself by posting bad information. As of late I have fealt more comfortable posting comments and getting involved. I attended the Nordyke hearing a few weeks ago. I distributed 2,000 AB962 fliers in Solano County. I have organized a Range Clean-up. I didn't mean to insinuate that folks on the forum don't have a life. Everyone's situation is different, some have more free time, some have less, due to kids, work, etc. If I've offended anyone I'm truly sorry, that was not my intention. If one chooses to spend their time on this forum that's great! But it shouldn't be expected or assumed that anyone/everyone KNOWS certain things.

Fair enough. No harm done:)

Justintoxicated
10-07-2009, 2:20 PM
I have a feeling it may have to do with the companies software sometimes too.

For example, places might need to re-write their code and change their databases if the new law passes. For example a company may have a table that distinguishes which state county whatever they can ship ammo to. But that will not necessarily mean that they have a table that differentiates rifle ammo laws and handgun ammo laws for each state. (Not to say that they don't but just for an example) So in order to abide my California law, they would simply not sell ammo to Cali at all rather than pay someone to re-write their database to California specific BS to only allows rifle ammo as this could dramatically affect their entire site and the way laws are calculated..

Barney Gumble
10-07-2009, 2:30 PM
There was a big thread on this topic a while ago on arfcom, either in CTD's industry forum or in the CA hometown forum, I can't remember which. In any case the upshot of it was that they said they'd try to do better, but they didn't have the manpower to understand all the details of the law here and how it impacts each of the products they sell. Which to me is just a fancy way of saying, "it's not worth the money for us right now".

This was earlier in the year during the post-election frenzy so I don't know what they'd say now that things have slowed down.