PDA

View Full Version : HK G36

cosmos0665
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Can I legally buy a G36K from an LE ? I have to make it CA legal of course.

69Mach1
10-06-2009, 1:00 PM
NOooooo!

Unless it's a converted SL8. Which is it?

cosmos0665
10-06-2009, 1:16 PM
Real G36. So I can buy the parts kit and convert my sl8 to a g36? Is this 100% legal or it falls under the gray area?

69Mach1
10-06-2009, 1:19 PM
A real G36 is a select fire assault rifle. What do you think?

Yes, you can get the parts to legally convert your SL8 to look like a G36 as long as both CA and Federal laws are obeyed.

Flogger23m
10-06-2009, 1:22 PM
They do make semi auto only G36 rifles. There is a small number of them in Canada. I am sure police use the semi auto versions, unless it is a SWAT weapon.

If it is a semi auto G36, then get bullet button, make sure its barrel is over 16 inches and the overall gun is over 30 inches, and you are good to go.

The K has a barrel less than 16 inches, so you would need to fix a flash hider to make it 16 or longer.

B Strong
10-06-2009, 2:36 PM
Can I legally buy a G36K from an LE ? I have to make it CA legal of course.

You can't legally acquire a G36K from anyone unless you're a licensed SOT with a LEA love letter.

Post-5-19-86 MG's are transfereable only to the Military, LEA's and licensed dealers as sales samples with an agency letter requesting same.

If you're talking about an SL8 that has been retrofited with the G36 parts, properly configured for California (over 30" OAL with the stock folded, bullet button) that's a different issue - that would be legal.

GoingPro
10-06-2009, 3:02 PM
they make things so difficult.

TangoCharlie
10-06-2009, 5:37 PM
Just to be clear, HK does offer a semi-auto G36 to LE/mil, however it's not what you think.

While it might be semi-auto in function, these are machine guns that simply have semi-auto lowers attached. You could just remove the lower and add a select-fire lower to return it to full-auto fire. Hence there are machine guns in any configuration and you cannot own it.

Jpach
10-06-2009, 6:10 PM
Just to be clear, HK does offer a semi-auto G36 to LE/mil, however it's not what you think.

While it might be semi-auto in function, these are machine guns that simply have semi-auto lowers attached. You could just remove the lower and add a select-fire lower to return it to full-auto fire. Hence there are machine guns in any configuration and you cannot own it.

Really? So theyre kind of like FALs in that the upper is considered the firearm? Thats pretty interesting

cosmos0665
10-06-2009, 8:45 PM
Yes you can - The PARTS KIT that is. You can lock the mag. Also its easy (by a little pricy) to get all the 922r compliance parts. Lock the stock open and you are done.

A full conversion also means you will be cutting out the original receiver so you can use the "correct" mags (and not the SL8). A correct conversion will require you to relocate the serial # and get rid of the tangs (receiver modification) that increase the receiver length behind the pistol grip.

Yes it has been done legally and there are ways. Read up on HKPro

Not exactly like the FAL scenario but the same as the HK 91/93/94 series.
Mag well is part of the receiver that houses the bolt. You can also compare to Uzi. The design is quite different then the FAL or the M16.

Thank you for everybody's input. I'm aware of the conversion process and parts kit. I just thought that buying a g36 would be cheaper than buying an sl8, parts kit and doing the conversion. I think I saw one from allied armament for under $2k, but for LE only. tbostic from hkpro does a very nice conversion and I have done business with him before. Does the sl8 Raddlock work with a G36? The sl8 magwell is different from a G36.

badicedog
10-06-2009, 9:12 PM
They do make semi auto only G36 rifles. There is a small number of them in Canada. I am sure police use the semi auto versions, unless it is a SWAT weapon.

If it is a semi auto G36, then get bullet button, make sure its barrel is over 16 inches and the overall gun is over 30 inches, and you are good to go.

The K has a barrel less than 16 inches, so you would need to fix a flash hider to make it 16 or longer.

NO, G36 is a designated select fire class 3 weapon. The semi civi version is the SL-8. you can do a conversion to make the weapon look like a G36.

PolishMike
10-06-2009, 9:14 PM

FUD.

There are a lot of weapons that you can just add a select fire lower and return it to full auto.

badicedog
10-06-2009, 9:16 PM
A full conversion will end up costing you upwards of 5K:eek: Hk does hate you! My HK 416 has run me upwards of 6k! Yes, I know It's insane and you can buy 2 well built AR's for that price.

badicedog
10-06-2009, 9:19 PM
FUD.

There are a lot of weapons that you can just add a select fire lower and return it to full auto.

Care to elaborate? Most HK weapons (90's series) require some gunsmithing to convert to FA (Illegal unless you have a registered SEAR or Registered receiver) A FA lower will not simply just bolt on ( push pin lower).

badicedog
10-06-2009, 9:26 PM
Yes you can - The PARTS KIT that is. You can lock the mag. Also its easy (by a little pricy) to get all the 922r compliance parts. Lock the stock open and you are done.

A full conversion also means you will be cutting out the original receiver so you can use the "correct" mags (and not the SL8). A correct conversion will require you to relocate the serial # and get rid of the tangs (receiver modification) that increase the receiver length behind the pistol grip.

Yes it has been done legally and there are ways. Read up on HKPro

Not exactly like the FAL scenario but the same as the HK 91/93/94 series.
Mag well is part of the receiver that houses the bolt. You can also compare to Uzi. The design is quite different then the FAL or the M16.

Yeah, and that guy is NUTZ. He cut up his 2k receiver and welded it to the rear of a real G36 receiver. Too much cahones for me:eek:

radd
10-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Does the sl8 Raddlock work with a G36? The sl8 magwell is different from a G36.

If you use a G36 Lower, then you will need to shim the SL8 Raddlock with some nylon washer you can get from Home Depot.

However I do have some custom G36 Only Raddlock made just for this purpose. They are 1/4" wider than the SL8 Raddlock.

Most dealers don't carry this version. Let me know if you need the special G36 Raddlock

Radd

B Strong
10-07-2009, 5:44 AM
FUD.

If you're talking about simply substituting parts, there are only two types of (one that is in the over 5K $ price range these days) rifles that can be converted to the original select-fire configuration.

If you're talking about switching the lower in an AR to one drilled and milled, that's a different deal, and post 5-19-86 it's all illegal unless the individual doing the modifications is a SOT.

WeekendWarrior
10-07-2009, 8:01 AM
WWRTW

cosmos0665
10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
If you use a G36 Lower, then you will need to shim the SL8 Raddlock with some nylon washer you can get from Home Depot.

However I do have some custom G36 Only Raddlock made just for this purpose. They are 1/4" wider than the SL8 Raddlock.

Most dealers don't carry this version. Let me know if you need the special G36 Raddlock

Radd

PM sent.

Flogger23m
10-07-2009, 3:43 PM
NO, G36 is a designated select fire class 3 weapon. The semi civi version is the SL-8. you can do a conversion to make the weapon look like a G36.

Like I said, there are some semi auto G36s for sale in Canada (with the name G36). Pretty sure a semi auto version would fall under a semi auto rifle. I'd think this is what the OP is looking at buying, the semi auto version.

Here is an example of a semi auto civilian owned G36KP:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98266

If it is like the rifle linked above, it would be legal to own as long as the barrel is above 16 inches and you get a BB or go featureless.

The SL8 is a special version made for the USA. Other countries that allow semi auto rifles have a normal semi auto G36s (such as Canada). These are the same as semi auto AR-15s. They function the same, just semi auto only.

Now, if select fire/machinegun means more than safe/semi/full auto or burst in the USA, then that is a different situation and really sucks.

ProlificARProspect
10-07-2009, 4:22 PM
Thanks for all the insight, Hk G36 gotta love it.

tiger222
10-07-2009, 4:22 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/1p6vlj.jpg

B Strong
10-07-2009, 8:41 PM
Like I said, there are some semi auto G36s for sale in Canada (with the name G36). Pretty sure a semi auto version would fall under a semi auto rifle. I'd think this is what the OP is looking at buying, the semi auto version.

Here is an example of a semi auto civilian owned G36KP:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98266

If it is like the rifle linked above, it would be legal to own as long as the barrel is above 16 inches and you get a BB or go featureless.

The SL8 is a special version made for the USA. Other countries that allow semi auto rifles have a normal semi auto G36s (such as Canada). These are the same as semi auto AR-15s. They function the same, just semi auto only.

Now, if select fire/machinegun means more than safe/semi/full auto or burst in the USA, then that is a different situation and really sucks.

Sorry guy, even that Canadian G36KP wasn't meant for civilian sales (the post talks about HK shutting down the sellers as soon as the rifles got out) and they wouldn't be legal for importation into the US even if they were intended for Canadian civilian sales - an HK36 whatever -semi or select fire, legal barrel length or not - wouldn't pass muster with ATF under the post 89 import ban regs.

Flogger23m
10-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry guy, even that Canadian G36KP wasn't meant for civilian sales (the post talks about HK shutting down the sellers as soon as the rifles got out) and they wouldn't be legal for importation into the US even if they were intended for Canadian civilian sales - an HK36 whatever -semi or select fire, legal barrel length or not - wouldn't pass muster with ATF under the post 89 import ban regs.

But if it already is brought in by the police, can't they sell it anyways (as long as it is not an MG/SBR)? Like those HK-416s that are in circulation?

bondmid003
10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/1p6vlj.jpg

Thats a converted SL8 correct? I kind of like that its got the same (approx) length barrel as the G36V or standard model. Seems like everyone wants the K or C models as those are the only two being sold on gunbroker at this time.

bondmid003
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm also kind of curious as to why this country allows the domestic manufacture of rifles VERY similar to the G36 yet we restrict the crap out of the importation of foreign born rifles. I mean honestly, is there anything more evil about the G36 than a GP AR15?

B Strong
10-08-2009, 8:29 AM
But if it already is brought in by the police, can't they sell it anyways (as long as it is not an MG/SBR)? Like those HK-416s that are in circulation?

When an law enforcement agency imports a non-importable for civilian sales firearm for agency use or testing and evaluation, that firearm still can't be transfered to a civilian.

They can scrap the receiver and sell the parts, but a complete non-importable firearm still can't be transfered to a civilian.

The HK 416's you see are uppers that came from NFA weapons, sold off by NFA dealers, and HK isn't keen on that happening either. I know a guy in Atlanta that dropped some uppers on the market that took a beating from HK over it.

There are some exceptions to this wrt individual officer purchases that are allowed to keep the weapons as personal property (non-NFA firearms) upon retirement.

SMGLee
10-08-2009, 8:54 AM
Yeah, and that guy is NUTZ. He cut up his 2k receiver and welded it to the rear of a real G36 receiver. Too much cahones for me:eek:

yea, i was one of the original guy that did this conversion. it is still working well but no longer my possession. it was sold to a friend after I finish the conversion since i could not refuse the offer he made me.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50078