PDA

View Full Version : C&R Blues...

TaxAnnihilator
10-06-2009, 1:36 PM
After reading this forum and a few others relating to C&R, I caught the bug. So, I sent off for my forms - got them lightening fast - returned them faster and began my wait. I put together a budget and list of "must haves" and was preparing to buy a safe...

Then BLAM - cracked molar! $1620 later (with insurance) for a root canal and crown (had to go expensive, I grind my teeth) I am without funds to proceed.

Insult to injury, get home from the dentist and guess what is in the mailbox! A bright shinny C&R license.

So, I am bummed. I feel worse about the events than had I gotten clothes for Christmas rather than a new bike.

I am all for leveraging myself, but this is one time I just can't risk extending myself further - you know the saying "When it rains it pours." I want to keep an umbrella.

So, please post up your new projects and finds to help remind me of the joy I have to look forward to!

Thanks.

packnrat
10-06-2009, 1:43 PM
Finding three factory 7.62X45 VZ52 mags at a gun show for less than $100.00.

Now I have two vz's and six mag's :-)

now if I only can find the ammo pouches.

joefrank64k
10-06-2009, 2:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation! It's always darkest before the dawn, my friend!

What were you planning to pick-up first?

TaxAnnihilator
10-06-2009, 2:38 PM
91/30, then I really wanted to start with US Military Rifles - Krag, 1903. Enfield, Garands, like to be able to afford a nice sniper at some point, CETME, then in no particular order (yet) Mausers, Arisakas, ...

Once I start reloading I will move to more unique loads... I better keep working!

joefrank64k
10-06-2009, 3:01 PM
91/30, then I really wanted to start with US Military Rifles - Krag, 1903. Enfield, Garands, like to be able to afford a nice sniper at some point, CETME, then in no particular order (yet) Mausers, Arisakas, ...

Once I start reloading I will move to more unique loads... I better keep working!

Hey, check out the 91/30 I got from AIM a month or so ago...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.html

With your 03 FFL, you can get a round-receiver for about $100 shipped to your door...you can't find some spare change in the couch cushions??? :D

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.html

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_Hex_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.ht ml

bugman
10-06-2009, 3:11 PM
Life is full of UPS and DOWNS. Now you are on the down slope, but things should go up for you soon. That is how it always happens. Then you can splurge on C&R stuff.

Look around, there is still some under $100 deals lurking on for sale forums and auction sites. Maybe you can grab one of those to start your collection. Mosin Nagant is where I started at cheap price.

Nodda Duma
10-06-2009, 3:19 PM
My current project is a Swiss M1878 Vetterli rifle which I made a cleaning rod for. You can see that work here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=222387). Just converted it to centerfire last week, and took it out to the range this weekend. Tried 19 gr and 18 gr of Alliant 2400. Shot real nice: I was able to ping steel easily at 200 yds. Think I did that with the 18 gr load. Shoots about 20" high at 50 yds (lowest setting on sights is 225 yds).

Bought a pound of Pyrodex and I am going to put together a "black powder" load so I get all the smoke and recoil.

-Jason

TRICKSTER
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Finding three factory 7.62X45 VZ52 mags at a gun show for less than $100.00.

Now I have two vz's and six mag's :-)

now if I only can find the ammo pouches.

Mag pouch
http://www.buymilsurp.com/pouch-magazine-czech-vz-52-rifle-p-859.html

Cleaning kit
http://www.thedealershowroom.com/catalog/item/6147140/7253000.htm

knucklehead0202
10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
here's a bit for ya, don't try to do it in any particular order, you'll kill yourself. i bought an arisaka, then 2 mosins, a steyr m95, an argentine mauser, 2 swede mausers, another arisaka, a carcano, another argentine mauser, a persian mauser, an sks, another sks which i donated to a worthy cause, a schmidt rubin, etc etc etc...just buy whatever looks good that you can afford at the time. i bought a 14 gun safe that now holds 14+ c&r rifles and my mossberg riot gun. oh yeah, i got a french MAS 36/51 at the last show. you get what you can, when you can. i've acquired several of my rifles from the good folks here on calguns, and many more at the COW gun shows, god bless 'em. if it's c&r's you hunt, luck be with you you'll find what you find, even it you don't know it's what you want. i still want a Krag, a 1903, and a '17 and '14 enfield, but they're bloody damned expensive, so i buy the under 300 dollar guns as much as possible. working up to the big boy stuff, i've got twin babies...

7.62x54R
10-07-2009, 6:32 AM
13 firearms in 3 months :D

caldude
10-07-2009, 7:35 AM
I had the same plan last year when I got my C&R license. I had my initial purchases all planned out. Luckily, it worked out for me, and I bought 6 rifles at once from Classic Arms, back when they actually had C&R stuff.

Be patient. The online vendor inventory seems to have dried up some, but there's always private sales. With the C&R license, you can buy C&R rifles off any forum in the country.

mtsul
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
19 guns in 7 months

TaxAnnihilator
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Yea. I was wanting to start with the bigger pieces, but looks like that plan will have to wait.

I have been browsing all the other forums for deals... there are a few out there but then... ammo. I have an addictive personality so it's hard for me to "go slow" when I get my mind on something (but no, I don't use drugs or drink much).

Thanks guys for your advice/encouragement!

here's a bit for ya, don't try to do it in any particular order, you'll kill yourself. i bought an arisaka, then 2 mosins, a steyr m95, an argentine mauser, 2 swede mausers, another arisaka, a carcano, another argentine mauser, a persian mauser, an sks, another sks which i donated to a worthy cause, a schmidt rubin, etc etc etc...just buy whatever looks good that you can afford at the time. i bought a 14 gun safe that now holds 14+ c&r rifles and my mossberg riot gun. oh yeah, i got a french MAS 36/51 at the last show. you get what you can, when you can. i've acquired several of my rifles from the good folks here on calguns, and many more at the COW gun shows, god bless 'em. if it's c&r's you hunt, luck be with you you'll find what you find, even it you don't know it's what you want. i still want a Krag, a 1903, and a '17 and '14 enfield, but they're bloody damned expensive, so i buy the under 300 dollar guns as much as possible. working up to the big boy stuff, i've got twin babies...