PDA

View Full Version : Norinco SKS Type 56 question...

commanderb
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I searched and could not find a thread on this - maybe it's just old discussion and a sort of "beating a dead horse" thing...

Let's just say "I have a friend..." who really did not pay attention to the specifics of the CA AW laws when they were passed and now has some questions... nearly at the end of friggin 2009. Oops. :eek: The rifle is probably legal from what I have found on the web, but things change, and much of the information is from a few years ago.

The gun in question is a "Norinco 7.62 x 39 SKS Type 56" (per the paperwork included). It has a 10 round fixed mag, NO pistol grip, flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or thumb hole stock... The bayonet was removed by said "friend" - tho looking into where it went and if it can be re-mounted (don't see mention in the CA AW chart from CalGuns of bayonets.).

In fact - if you have a moment, check out this link: http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/contracosta/FaxAlerts/sksalert.shtml

The "CA Legal" Chinese Type 56 shown on that link is the gun!

In looking at the ID stampings on the rifle - "7.62 x 39 Sporter", "Made in China", and I think "by Norinco", but not real legible... even tho the unit, to my knowledge, has never had a detachable mag, and the stock looks like the "legal" type 56 - not the noted sporter model photo on that link. The rifle was noted when purchased that it was a "parade gun" - it was painted an orange color... which "this friend" promptly stripped down to what turned out to be a very nice looking wood stock.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

69Mach1
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I have one. Perfectly legal. Also, bayonets are not illegal in CA. The one place that bayonets are regulated is the Federal importation laws. If the Chinese SKS in question came originally with the bayonet attached, it's fine. There was a period between 1989 to 1994 when the SKS rifles could not have the bayonets. Chinese imported arms were banned after 1994.

commanderb
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks so much for the quick and thorough reply! It was purchased in 1993, but unsure of the import date...