PDA

View Full Version : Overpriced California gun stores...not sure whether to laugh or cry

TonyNorCal
06-17-2005, 7:32 PM
I live near Santa Rosa. I've been to two local stores (Montana Hawk and Helms Guns) here and both are overpriced such that it's a joke. Even some of their USED stuff seems to be priced over what I can order NEW stuff for via the internet.

Now, I'm aware that running a business means generating a profit. And, I'm also aware that California isn't an easy place in which to make one's living peddling firearms. However, I'm sure not going to patronize places whose prices are so outrageous that I'd feel I'd been had were I to purchase their wares.

I also called River City Gun Exchange about their DSA Fals and was quoted prices that I believe are HIGHER than the MSRP on DSA's website. Now, that's just nucking futs.

JAFGO
06-17-2005, 7:57 PM
Sounds like Eddie's in Mountain View. But then they went out of business. It's a self correcting problem though. Set your prices too high, no one buys your wares, business folds. End of story.

Turbinator
06-17-2005, 9:16 PM
Originally posted by JAFGO.:
Sounds like Eddie's in Mountain View. But then they went out of business. It's a self correcting problem though. Set your prices too high, no one buys your wares, business folds. End of story.

Eddie's. I bought a box of primers from them once because I needed them. Saw their other prices and made a mental note - "ouch!" Never went back there again.

Turby

jmayse
06-17-2005, 9:22 PM
Try Marin Firearms in Novato. Their prices are as good as you'll find anywhere in Norther CA.

-hanko
06-17-2005, 9:24 PM
Immert's in San Carlos has a you-can-touch/fondle used long gun section. Selection varies, but there's always 3-5 pieces there I wouldn't mind having. Prices vary from a taste above reasonable to stratospheric. If you're looking for lever actions, there's a bunch; I picked up an older Winchester for a little past $300. I missed a clean Remington M600 (or maybe 650) in .308, would have been a nice piece for the car or truck. Used pistol prices don't seem reasonable at all, but there's a fair selection to check out.

-hanko

TonyNorCal
06-17-2005, 9:48 PM
Originally posted by jmayse:
Try Marin Firearms in Novato. Their prices are as good as you'll find anywhere in Norther CA.

Thanks,
I plan to check them out. They were very cool on the phone when I called to ask about a few things.

JAFGO
06-18-2005, 9:36 AM
Eddie's. I bought a box of primers from them once because I needed them. Saw their other prices and made a mental note - "ouch!" Never went back there again.

Ditto.

In '93 I was looking for a Springfield M1A National Match. I went over to Eddie's after work and they had an M1A or two sitting on the rack, so I ask, "how much?". I was quoted $1795.00 + tax. I kinda went "huh, I don't want a Super Match, what's the price for a NM?".

I was told the M1A in the rack was a NM and the price was $1795.00 for it. Then the jackass behing the counter starts telling me that someone like me can't appreciate or need the refinements and added maintenance of a National Match M1A. He tried selling me a standard grade M1A for, if I remember correctly, $1450.00. I left, shaking my head.

I called San Francisco Gun Exchange and they had a new NM in stock that included Springfield's scope mount in the package for, I believe, $1300.00. Needless to say I gave SFGE my business, saved $500.00 vs. Eddie's and like you, never set foot in Eddie's of Mountain View again.

bwiese
06-18-2005, 9:48 AM
Edy's in MV went out of biz during the last of the dot-com craze. I think their rent just got jacked up ridiculously and owner decided to fold/retire. He'd already done one move (from Castro St to El Camino) and didn't wanna do another.

I got a Sig 226 from them and my Rem 700PSS from them.

In both cases took a bit of negotiation and repeated trips.

[The PSS they actually price-matched to within $20 of Trader's which saved me the trip across the bay so I went with that.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stillbigmac
06-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Guys eddies closed because of a divorce generated finance snafu...

I talked with eddy about it.

dave3006
06-19-2005, 5:30 AM
Yes prices can be insane. I actually don't see how the mom and pop stores stay in business. 1. Their margins are low on guns. <10%
2. Most shooters have more guns than they need and make an occasional purchase now and then. 3. Everyone buys most of their bulk ammo on the web.
4. Rent and the cost of hiring employees (workers comp) keeps going up.
5. It takes about 30 minutes to process a gun order due to all the red tape. (almost as complicated as a refi).

Not exactly a get rich quick scheme...

berg
06-19-2005, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by -hanko:
Immert's in San Carlos has a you-can-touch/fondle used long gun section. Selection varies, but there's always 3-5 pieces there I wouldn't mind having. Prices vary from a taste above reasonable to stratospheric. If you're looking for lever actions, there's a bunch; I picked up an older Winchester for a little past $300. I missed a clean Remington M600 (or maybe 650) in .308, would have been a nice piece for the car or truck. Used pistol prices don't seem reasonable at all, but there's a fair selection to check out.

-hanko

You mean Imbert And Smithers. A totally realistic description of it. The nice thing is you can make offers on their consignment stuff. Everything I've bought there I've made lower offers on and they were accepted.

-hanko
06-19-2005, 8:41 PM
Originally posted by Berg:

You mean Imbert And Smithers. A totally realistic description of it. The nice thing is you can make offers on their consignment stuff. Everything I've bought there I've made lower offers on and they were accepted.
I did mean Imbert & Smithers. Neglected to mention that reloading supplies are (as you expect) way overpriced, about on par with Tabor's in San Bruno. It's not a bad place to get a used rifle or shotgun, but asking them to keep an eye out for something special will add about $100 to the price.

-hanko

maxicon
06-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by stillbigbac:
Guys eddies closed because of a divorce generated finance snafu...

I talked with eddy about it.

I got the same story from him.

I did buy several guns at his going-out-of-business sale for very reasonable prices, but that's not a very sustainable business model...

max