PDA

View Full Version : DROS

Skandy714
10-06-2009, 9:47 AM
Hi, I just ordered a rifle online, and I want to know if I can do the DROS ahead of time instead of waiting for the gun to arrive... Thanks

soundwave
10-06-2009, 9:55 AM
I don't think so. FFL needs to have the item on hand to record serial number and what not.

Mitch
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't think so. FFL needs to have the item on hand to record serial number and what not.

Serial numbers are not recorded during the DROS for long guns, only handguns.

liketoshoot
10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Some will some won't, depends on the infomation you have on the long gun. Do you have a confirmation from the seller, did you have the FFL fax to him so he can send it to that FFL?
Just ask the FFL that is receiving it.

soundwave
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Woops. I knew that :o

Why not ask your FFL if he will start it up.

E Pluribus Unum
10-06-2009, 10:21 AM

They are stored on the 4473 and transmitted during the DROS process. They are then deleted from the database after I believe 30 days.

OCArmory
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Nope no serial numbers are transmitted for long guns just handguns

Skandy714
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I was going to ask my FFL but didn't want to sound like an idoit lol. Yea I just sent him an email.

CHS
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
It depends on the FFL.

But yes, you have 30 days in which to finalize the paperwork. You don't need the firearm to be present at the start of the paperwork, unless it's a handgun.

The firearm MUST be present before the paperwork is finalized and you pick up the gun though.

On a non-handgun, no identifying information for the firearm is submitted to anyone whatsoever. The information is recorded on the 4473 before finalizing the paperwork.

OCArmory
10-06-2009, 10:30 AM
straight from the horses mouth. My DOJ examiner is looking over my DROS' as we speak so I asked him. Dealers are highly encouraged not to. The law says concealable firearms, but if you are being inspected they want to see all of your 10 previous days drosed firearms. And if one is not there they want a tracking number or purchase order showing it is on the way.
Mike

E Pluribus Unum
10-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Nope no serial numbers are transmitted for long guns just handguns

I once was going to purchase a .22 rifle. I went to the gun store to do a PPT.

The gun came back stolen so I was unable to purchase it.

How then were they able to determine it was stolen if the serial number was not transmitted to anyone?

CHS
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
How then were they able to determine it was stolen if the serial number was not transmitted to anyone?

Someone ratted you out?

Here is a long gun DROS. These are the only two screens that are filled out when selling anything that's not a handgun. 100% of the information that needs to be filled in is being represented here. Tell me, where do YOU see the box for the serial number?

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/DROS1.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/DROS2.jpg

When doing a PPT, there is one extra screen for the seller's information. Still not seeing anything for a serial number.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/DROS4.jpg

I can't explain your experience, but that serial number was not submitted via DROS. Someone probably just called the cops or something.

Mitch
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
They are stored on the 4473 and transmitted during the DROS process.

Nope.

slick_711
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I once was going to purchase a .22 rifle. I went to the gun store to do a PPT.

The gun came back stolen so I was unable to purchase it.

There is NO longgun information transmitted in a DROS beyond the quantity of firearms. Take my word for it, I've done more longgun DROS' in the last two days than I'd care to admit.

As to you purchasing a .22 and it coming back stolen: it must have been used. When a gun store takes in a used firearm they have to fill out a pawn slip with it's source and information. That slip gets submitted to the local PD and the firearm cannot be sold for thirty days to give the PD a chance to run a check on the firearm. That is how it would have been determined stolen, and it's a process that has absolutely nothing to do with the DROS.

E Pluribus Unum
10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Someone ratted you out?

Here is a long gun DROS. These are the only two screens that are filled out when selling anything that's not a handgun. 100% of the information that needs to be filled in is being represented here. Tell me, where do YOU see the box for the serial number?

I can't explain your experience, but that serial number was not submitted via DROS. Someone probably just called the cops or something.

I was not saying you are wrong; I am simply trying to figure out how they knew.

I bought a .22 rifle from a redneck in Taft and demanded he go with me to the gun store to do the transfer. He didn't want to be agreed anyway. I get a call 3 days later from the FFL saying the gun came back stolen and was seized by law enforcement. I assumed that they ran the serial number during the DROS. I guess the only thing that would explain it is that the FFL was suspicious and decided to call the cops to run the number.

Skandy714
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I just go an email back from my FFL and he said:

It appears that there is a bit of grey area involved in when a dealer is allowed to submit the DROS... The DOJ has told me specifically that I must have physical possession of the firearm before I can submit the DROS, although I haven't read that anywhere in the regulations...

However, at this point we do not feel comfortable initiating the DROS before we have received the firearm.

.....so I guess it just all depends on the FFL.

CHS
10-06-2009, 11:34 AM
.....so I guess it just all depends on the FFL.

Looks like you're in OC. Riflegear will start the DROS for you before the firearm comes in.