PDA

View Full Version : AR Drop in Triggers?

AfisBoy
10-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Anyone have any opinions on drop in triggers that they considered superior to the one they got from their parts kit?

Jwood562
10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Timney. case closed as for drop in units

Southbay
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I believe most of the aftermarket 2 stage drop in triggers are generally to light for anything other than running the gun at a range, the standard trigger has a broader range of applications.

Norcal911
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Yes, upgrade your trigger. I was a stock trigger guy for a long time. Just didn't think I needed a good one. Shot one at a class and it made a huge difference. I didn't want a 6oz trigger on my duty gun for obvious reasons, I stuck with a 2 stage. Big difference, I'm a believer but they are expensive. I'll probably get a significant amount of flak but I think a good 2 stage in a duty gun is an asset....just make sure its reliable and not too light.

I have a RRA 2 stage in my duty gun, I like it. Breaks clean, not super light, both stages are pretty easy to feel. I've fired the Giessele (sp?) and thought it was at least as good as the RRA but almost three times as much cost wise.

I had Bill Springfield to a couple of target triggers for me and have been very happy. I thought it was a well spent $50 for a great trigger, I just keep his work out of my duty rifle, more to reduce his liability than anything, I trust his work. I'd start with his trigger, it only cost $50 to see if you like a well tuned single stage and go from there-Norcal911

dchang0
10-06-2009, 1:23 AM
JP is offering a drop-in. Anyone have experience with these?

Jicko
10-06-2009, 1:32 AM
JP is offering a drop-in. Anyone have experience with these?

JP needed to be tuned to each lower. Not too easy to get the optimal result or you can send you lower to them for the installation. Once it is installed (professionally), it is THE BEST that you can get as far as a single stage is concern.

THT
10-06-2009, 4:40 AM
Geissele SSA is an excellent trigger.

SoCalRandy
10-06-2009, 4:42 AM
I got the Timney 3lb. trigger for my AR and it made a HUGE difference. The installation was really easy and went smooth. Like others have said if you only plan on using this rifle for the range then the lighter trigger pull shouldn't really be an issue. Also, others will probably disagree with me but I recommend you get the KNS anti rotation trigger pins too.

badicedog
10-06-2009, 5:33 AM
I guess I'll be the odd one out. I don't care for specialized triggers too much. Be proficient with the factory trigger, this way you don't become dependent on "jeweled" triggers. Under stressful situations, a light trigger is the last thing that I want.

B Strong
10-06-2009, 6:09 AM

+ 1 -I have one in my Mk12 Mod 0 thingee. Excellent unit.

Mine is the 4 lb. solid. No problems with installation.

cal3gunner
10-06-2009, 6:41 AM
///

fliparch
10-06-2009, 7:00 AM
I bought the Timney drop in trigger but haven't had a chance to fire her. From my first impression and what I've read, Timney is one of the best next your Geiselles and JPs. The install was pretty simple...a true drop in. I've heard people had issues with the two locking screws but they weren't much of an issue, you just had to move the leg of the spring from one side and then screw in both the screw and it's backup screw. I dryfired the trigger and it's crisp without any noticeable creep. I'm going to fire her this week, message me if you want to feel how the Timney trigger handles?

bombadillo
10-06-2009, 7:53 AM
I have a geissele SSA in mine and its got great pull, and a VERY clean break. I have to say though, the ARgold from americantrigger.com is the best i've felt for the AR to date. It has one of the lowest settings a 2 stage trigger can have to the point where you think it'd be dangerous but it has a pretty amazing safety mechanism in it so its very safe as well. Check them out

http://www.americantrigger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=57

oddball
10-06-2009, 8:18 AM
I have a couple of Geissele SSA triggers and they are my favorite.
Excellent pull and break, and they are supposed to be as rugged as a single stage USGI trigger.

zman
10-06-2009, 8:27 AM
I have a RRA 2 stage in my duty gun, I like it. Breaks clean, not super light, both stages are pretty easy to feel. I've fired the Giessele (sp?) and thought it was at least as good as the RRA but almost three times as much cost wise.

I have to agree with your sentiments. I have tried the Geiselle too on my friend's AR.

The RRA 2 stage trigger is very nice on my latest build. The problem is....now I want to change the trigger on my Spikes ST-22 :o

Bug Splat
10-06-2009, 8:41 AM
Personally I don't like 2 stage triggers. When I pull the trigger I want a BANG not a second stage. I have JP triggers and love them. They are not a true drop in trigger and require some tuning but when you have them set up, oh baby they are nice. Zero creep and very little reset. One caution, if you go too light on a JP it will rapid fire on you. Depending on who you are this might or might not be a bad thing :D. So always test your triggers with 2 rounds many times before you load up a full one.

bombadillo
10-06-2009, 8:47 AM
If you're gonna fork out the dough, go with an ARgold but if you're gonna be (Or try to be cheap) cheap with it, get a RRA white oak tuned trigger and you won't be too disappointed. Nice trigger for the money.

jdogg2000
10-06-2009, 9:03 AM
I have the Timney 4.5 pound single-stage and it is fantastic. I thought the little screws were kind of a pain in the *** to install, but it was worth it. A signficant improvement from the base trigger.

RHT447
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
+1 for Geiselle. Very precise, completely adjustabe, easy to install and adjust, comes with two different weight trigger return springs. However, they are spendy.

RRA--also very good two-stage for the money, but no internal adjustments. Any tunning will have to be with files and stones.

Timney--One of the best single stage triggers out there. Very easy to install.

Jewel--Very nice two stage to be sure, but good golly Miss Molly, what a PITA to install. Also spendy.

ar15barrels
10-06-2009, 10:17 AM
JP needed to be tuned to each lower. Not too easy to get the optimal result or you can send you lower to them for the installation. Once it is installed (professionally), it is THE BEST that you can get as far as a single stage is concern.

Not this one...

http://www.jprifles.com/photos_new/JPFC-M1_450.jpg

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.3_fc_m.php

Ahhnother8
10-06-2009, 2:25 PM
Jewell
Geissele
X-treme

ar15barrels
10-06-2009, 2:28 PM
Jewell
Geissele
X-treme

I stopped at the first one.

bomb_on_bus
10-06-2009, 2:57 PM
So far I have run nothing but Timney trigger groups in all my AR style platforms.

Bolt actions are a different story though.

Ahhnother8
10-06-2009, 3:07 PM
I stopped at the first one.

I likely have over 20,000 rounds on the Jewell. It works great, but the lock times on the others is WAY faster. Does not matter too much in prone, but for offhand, I hope it will help save a few points.

Super Spy
10-06-2009, 3:13 PM
I have the Iron Ridge trigger kit in my AR, it is a single stage trigger and it's not too light, fairly close to stock, It does have extremely short take up and no creep at all, once it tightens and you squeeze it goes bang, no guesswork. I will use this lower for hunting as it seems very reliable and great shooting.

WeekendWarrior
10-06-2009, 3:19 PM
WWRTW

bombadillo
10-06-2009, 6:52 PM
I keep telling people, once the ARgold triggers get out there and word is out about them nobody will want to go to anything else. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING compares to them in the AR world when it comes to triggers. They are the best trigger you can get for a 2 stage. Single stage you could argue, but its still the number one top tier.

AfisBoy
10-06-2009, 8:33 PM
How many have had a chance to use the AR Gold? Is it the new kid on the block?

BroncoBob
10-06-2009, 8:53 PM
I have several Timneys, only problem came when I put one in a S&W MP15R and tried to shoot surplus 5.45x39 ammo. Due to the hard primers I had to pull it out and send it off to Timney to instal a heavier hammer spring. Once done no issues with FTF's. Timney did this a no charge.

bombadillo
10-06-2009, 9:35 PM
How many have had a chance to use the AR Gold? Is it the new kid on the block?

Not many yet but wait until people are willing to fork out 3 bills for one of these bad boys. They're $279 which is the same as a geissele but IMO much better and I've felt both the geissele and the milazzo which were the "best money could buy" just a few years ago. I still like the Geissele that I traded and will continue to use it for its intended purpose, but the ARgold is just the best hands down. Literally no creep, just a take up stage that you set, and a 2nd stage that you set, no more, no less.

Jwood562
10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
yeah one other thing is Timney stands behind their products with the best of them. If you feel creep or have light primer stikes they will take it back and make you right.

BTW to the one poster who said they have a 1.5lb timney. Where on earth did you get that? I have never seen it

AfisBoy
10-07-2009, 12:39 AM
First stage, second stage? First stage means no take up? Second stage mean some take up? Help, what do these exactly mean?

I'm not a bench rest shooter. I just pathetically participate in local 3 gun matches. Opinions on what would be the best for the 3 gun application?

randy
10-07-2009, 1:12 AM
I guess I'll be the odd one out. I don't care for specialized triggers too much. Be proficient with the factory trigger, this way you don't become dependent on "jeweled" triggers. Under stressful situations, a light trigger is the last thing that I want.

I'm guessing you haven't shot a rifle set up for 2 legged varmit hunting.

I've had a Accuracy Speaks in one of my 3 gun rifles for over 10 years. Great trigger no problems.

Hk996
10-07-2009, 1:14 AM
I have several Timneys, only problem came when I put one in a S&W MP15R and tried to shoot surplus 5.45x39 ammo. Due to the hard primers I had to pull it out and send it off to Timney to instal a heavier hammer spring. Once done no issues with FTF's. Timney did this a no charge.

Thanks for the info!! I have a skeletonized timney on my AR and I use it on my 416 upper... but I noticed when I use surplus ammo (norinco, some prvi) I would get the light hammer strikes... was more noticable with the norinco. When I used remington, it worked 100%. I will contact them in the morning to see if I can get mine adjusted too!

Otherwise, the feel of and look of the trigger is GREAT!

mh2291
10-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I m going to get the timney trigger too . but what is the different between solid and skeleton trigger ?

cal3gunner
10-08-2009, 7:20 AM
yeah one other thing is Timney stands behind their products with the best of them. If you feel creep or have light primer stikes they will take it back and make you right.

BTW to the one poster who said they have a 1.5lb timney. Where on earth did you get that? I have never seen it

Special order.......

fliparch
10-08-2009, 7:58 AM
I m going to get the timney trigger too . but what is the different between solid and skeleton trigger ?

Just looks. I got the run of the mil one and saved a few bucks.

bombadillo
10-08-2009, 8:06 AM
I'd save my money and buy a regular trigger not the skeletonized one. Just me though.

jdhawg
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I've tried out a few of the drop in trigger units. I put a Chip McCormick in both of my POF rifles (no longer available I think?) Its a fair bit nicer than the stock trigger but not as nice as the Timney. It doesn't seem to have as crisp a break as the Timney. On another of my builds (Sun Devil 6.5 Grendel) I put in the Timney 3lb model and immediately loved it. Shot my best group to date with this rifle (.56 at 100yards-5 shots) and having a nice trigger definitely made it easier to do. When the ARgold came out I was just putting the finishing touches on my Larue upper/Doublestar lower build and decided to try this one. WOW! As other posters have said its really nice. Its by far the nicest trigger I've ever used, not that i'm some sort of gun guru and know everything. If you were to close your eyes and pull the triggers side by side without knowing which one was which I think most people would chose the ARgold. Whether or not its suitable for a duty weapon I couldn't tell you that but for target/varmint shooting its pretty darn nice. My next build, another Grendel, will be sporting this trigger when completed. As you can tell BRD has completely taken over..... sigh

japps
10-08-2009, 4:09 PM
So I've been reading a lot of pro ARgold trigger posts lately...but have yet to see anything posted on a comparison between the Geissele SSA and the ARgold triggers. Has anyone actually fired some rounds through both triggers that can give a good assessment of how the two compare?

Hk996
10-08-2009, 4:27 PM
Just looks. I got the run of the mil one and saved a few bucks.

I bought the skeletonized one for my AR 223... since it looks nice, but then again I use it in my 416 upper that cost a bunch too :eek:

I have the normal looking one in my ar10 though.

bombadillo
10-08-2009, 9:37 PM
Yes I have, and I can say without a single doubt in my mind that the ARgold is THE BEST of the two hands down. It has the shortest reset time, amazing safety, and easily the cleanest trigger i've ever felt for an AR. I've personally shot
Timney
Chip Mccormick
ARgold
Geissele (Only the SSA though, not the match)
RRA 2 stage
GI standard trigger
Bill springfield tuned factory trigger

And out of the bunch, the ARgold was truly leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. I would really like to compare a geissele match trigger to the ARgold because the SSA versus the 1lb break of the ARgold wasn't a good comparison at all. My SSA breaks pretty darn clean and in my opinion I prefer it over a timney any day but the ARgold was so clean it wasn't even funny. Do it, Buy it, and love it. It will be the one thing you won't regret spending that much money on something potentially negligible. I would really like to build a dedicated target gun and not skimp anywhere and that WILL be the trigger I will use for it.

osis32
10-08-2009, 9:46 PM
I plan on getting a timney for my target build eventually.

rumble phish
10-08-2009, 9:49 PM
I'm happy with a the RRA 2-stage trigger. HUGE improvment over the standard trigger and you don't have to drop a lot of coin.

bombadillo
10-08-2009, 9:50 PM
For target rifle, which timney are you looking at osis32? If you're going for the skeletonized 3lb, check out the ARgold I was pushing a moment ago. Its only a few more bucks and OH-so-much-better!!!!!!!!!!

glockwise2000
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
McCormick. period.

madmike2uu
10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I've only used one... the JP trigger, but mine was factory installed. Absolutely beautiful.

osis32
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
For target rifle, which timney are you looking at osis32? If you're going for the skeletonized 3lb, check out the ARgold I was pushing a moment ago. Its only a few more bucks and OH-so-much-better!!!!!!!!!!

I was just gonna get the regular one. Im not one of those form over function types.

dchang0
10-08-2009, 10:55 PM

I still sorta feel this way, but after repeated failures to qualify Expert Rifleman on the AQT, I finally decided to clean up the trigger in my AR. It was very rough and "scrape-y" before (even after many thousands of rounds)--now, it's like butter. If I qualify this next try, all the credit will go to the "jeweled" trigger.

And when I figure out which brand of LPK I used, I'll never buy them again. I had to really work at it to clean up the trigger and hammer sears with a Dremel polishing wheel.

AfisBoy
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
It sounds like a lot of experience is with target shooting (bench rest?). Any one use these enhanced triggers in 3 gun? If so, what did you think?

Maestro Pistolero
10-08-2009, 11:29 PM
My two ARs are sporting RRA 2 stage triggers. They are very nice, crisp and just right, not to light or heavy. They are a giant improvement over the GI trigger, they drop right in, and they're not too much money.

J_Rock
10-09-2009, 1:17 AM
Yes I have, and I can say without a single doubt in my mind that the ARgold is THE BEST of the two hands down. It has the shortest reset time, amazing safety, and easily the cleanest trigger i've ever felt for an AR. I've personally shot
Timney
Chip Mccormick
ARgold
RRA 2 stage
GI standard trigger

And out of the bunch, the ARgold was truly leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. I would really like to compare a geissele match trigger to the ARgold because the SSA versus the 1lb break of the ARgold wasn't a good comparison at all. My SSA breaks pretty darn clean and in my opinion I prefer it over a timney any day but the ARgold was so clean it wasn't even funny. Do it, Buy it, and love it. It will be the one thing you won't regret spending that much money on something potentially negligible. I would really like to build a dedicated target gun and not skimp anywhere and that WILL be the trigger I will use for it.

Im very weary of anyone who speaks in absolutes like this, saying something as THE BEST usually means they have some kind of agenda. You should read this article:

When we rate anything as “best” it is certainly relative. If, for example, a guy test drives four cars on a Saturday and opts to buy one, he’ll probably tell his buddy over beers Saturday night that he bought the best of the four. Did he buy the “best” car available? Who knows? Of those he tried, he probably bought the best for his needs. No matter how you slice the bread he only tried four of MANY available cars… By that rationale how could he possibly determine “best” from a handful of cars? He determines “best” by those cars he tried and thus, he chose a car that fit his needs.

Some friends and I were sitting around having one of those “best” conversations regarding AR15 triggers and fire control groups when it donned on me, that without trying them all we couldn’t really know. Even then, the AR platform has become so versatile it can be used in any configuration from pistol, CQB, varmint hunting, medium and large game hunting, precision, competition, long range, extended range, and many others. I can think of several different trigger weights and styles I’d prefer for most of the applications noted above. As a result I wanted to get my hands on as many of them as I could and do some side by side comparing. To take it a step further, I wanted to have others lay their hands on them for their impressions as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=501733#Post501733

Also, as you pointed out, comparing it to the SSA is not a fair comparison at all. The SSA is built as a combat trigger NOT a target trigger. When you make a trigger as simple and rugged as the SSA of course you are going to sacrifice the trigger pull feel alittle bit, thats why they sell 2 triggers: a match trigger and a combat trigger.

cal3gunner
10-09-2009, 6:59 AM

cal3gunner
10-09-2009, 7:01 AM

bombadillo
10-09-2009, 8:14 AM
Im very weary of anyone who speaks in absolutes like this, saying something as THE BEST usually means they have some kind of agenda. You should read this article:

When we rate anything as “best” it is certainly relative. If, for example, a guy test drives four cars on a Saturday and opts to buy one, he’ll probably tell his buddy over beers Saturday night that he bought the best of the four. Did he buy the “best” car available? Who knows? Of those he tried, he probably bought the best for his needs. No matter how you slice the bread he only tried four of MANY available cars… By that rationale how could he possibly determine “best” from a handful of cars? He determines “best” by those cars he tried and thus, he chose a car that fit his needs.

Some friends and I were sitting around having one of those “best” conversations regarding AR15 triggers and fire control groups when it donned on me, that without trying them all we couldn’t really know. Even then, the AR platform has become so versatile it can be used in any configuration from pistol, CQB, varmint hunting, medium and large game hunting, precision, competition, long range, extended range, and many others. I can think of several different trigger weights and styles I’d prefer for most of the applications noted above. As a result I wanted to get my hands on as many of them as I could and do some side by side comparing. To take it a step further, I wanted to have others lay their hands on them for their impressions as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=501733#Post501733

Also, as you pointed out, comparing it to the SSA is not a fair comparison at all. The SSA is built as a combat trigger NOT a target trigger. When you make a trigger as simple and rugged as the SSA of course you are going to sacrifice the trigger pull feel alittle bit, thats why they sell 2 triggers: a match trigger and a combat trigger.

Zero interest in the company whatsoever. How I found out about it was through a friend who was back and forth between a geissele match and the ARgold. I say it is the best because out of the other match triggers it flat out is. You have to feel it to understand. The bane of the trigger is that it comes in a two stage only version and some guys just don't like that. Single stage is the only acceptable trigger for them and that may mean timney, JP, or another. As for 2 stage, I will say again with utmost certainty that ARgold makes THE BEST two stage trigger out there for the AR market at the moment.

(Quoted from Webster's Dictionary)

best
  /bɛst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [best] Show IPA
Use best in a Sentence
See web results for best
See images of best
–adjective, superl. of good with better as compar.
1. of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
2. most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
3. largest; most: the best part of a day.

Here is where I got my version of "Best" from. and all of it holds true. :cheers2:

Sunshine
10-09-2009, 5:22 PM
I just got my SSA and oh wow I am pleased. It fits my needs perfectly.

*bleh double post*

Sunshine
10-09-2009, 5:26 PM
2. most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.

Zero interest in the company whatsoever. How I found out about it was through a friend who was back and forth between a geissele match and the ARgold. I say it is the best because out of the other match triggers it flat out is. You have to feel it to understand. The bane of the trigger is that it comes in a two stage only version and some guys just don't like that. Single stage is the only acceptable trigger for them and that may mean timney, JP, or another. As for 2 stage, I will say again with utmost certainty that ARgold makes THE BEST two stage trigger out there for the AR market at the moment.

That's funny, because this part of the given definition is rather subjective. One might even say that it kind of depends on the intended use of the firearm that would dictate which is DA BEST TRIGGER EVER!!!! :rolleyes:

bombadillo
10-09-2009, 5:32 PM
Shoot one and then roll your eyes. Just saying, if you haven't shot one, you can't say otherwise. Yes they're new, and yes they're the best for their intended purpose. You can set them to match weights or you can set it to service weight. It IS the best for either of those two purposes for a two stage. Its not a single stage and doesn't compare to a single stage. If you must have a single, then its not the best nor is it the trigger for you.

2euro
10-09-2009, 5:42 PM

+1

Have the 3lb skeleton unit and its amazing!

fliparch
10-09-2009, 5:50 PM
Fired my Timney the first time after installing a couple of weeks ago. Oh what a wait but well worth it. The weight I thought is perfect not too heavy and not too light. I didn't have any problem with light strikes which I've heard people complain about. There is NO creep and just breaks when pressed. Took a little time getting used to since I had the CMMG 2 stage (which I replaced due to double tapping). I'd recommend the Timney.

Sunshine
10-09-2009, 6:09 PM
Just saying, if you haven't shot one, you can't say otherwise.

I've personally shot
Timney
Chip Mccormick
ARgold
RRA 2 stage
GI standard trigger

You make an excellent point sir, :euro: Geissele DMR, Service, National Match

FeuerFrei
10-09-2009, 7:48 PM
Timney for my choice of choices.
Clean and precise snappage with easy install.
It has been very reliable. Remember to use a little Loctite as per directions for the set screws.
Bump fire anybody?

bombadillo
10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Well I won't argue it anymore, but shoot the ARgold and see. As everyone says in the handguns forum, "Go to the range and see what you like the best"

Hk996
10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the info!! I have a skeletonized timney on my AR and I use it on my 416 upper... but I noticed when I use surplus ammo (norinco, some prvi) I would get the light hammer strikes... was more noticable with the norinco. When I used remington, it worked 100%. I will contact them in the morning to see if I can get mine adjusted too!

Otherwise, the feel of and look of the trigger is GREAT!

So, I sent my trigger to Timney to get a stronger hammer spring and to check that it was indeed a 3lbs. trigger. He received it Tuesday and today I come home to a package! He sent me a new 3lb. trigger in the box!! The spring is also a stronger one... all this at no charge! Gotta love the service from these guys...!

I will recommend these guys to anyone asking about special triggers... not only a great product that looks good also... but the SERVICE after the sale is what makes them superior.

dot429
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I've run Timney's, quite a few now, in AR-15 and one in AR-10, and love them.

I've also run the JP, tune-it-yourself, it's a lot of work and though rewarding, I'd just buy a Timney and be done with it. I'd like to try some of the others, but I don't want to mess with success. I'll make a point to try more at the SHOT show and see if I find one I like better.