PDA

View Full Version : new bb law for ar-15

winxp_man
10-05-2009, 9:56 PM
hey guys i was just told a couple of days ago about some new law or some sort of change to the definition of bullet buttons anyone else here the same or are the normal bullet buttons we've been using ok .......... thanks for any info

bwiese
10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
It's a FUD rumor spread by the unknowing. Ignore it and continue on with your legally-configured rifle.

There is no proposed legislation (would be a nightmare to draft, and legislative staff wouldn't even understand all the gotchas), and no proposed regulatory change.

If the law is changed in an attempt to obviate the Bullet Button, SKSes become assault weapons subject to AW registration - in addition to the ~250K OLL rifles out there.

Won't happen. We own this battle.

paintballergb
10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
hey guys i was just told a couple of days ago about some new law or some sort of change to the definition of bullet buttons anyone else here the same or are the normal bullet buttons we've been using ok .......... thanks for any info

Ummmm.......yes.....yes they are. Your OLL rifles are now worth half of what they were previously worth but lucky for you I am willing to buy yours.....what do you say?....huh.....huh?

tenpercentfirearms
10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
YES! I am the first to say, "Yes it is true. They are changing the law in...two weeks!" :43:

bboyin4food
10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Yea just went into my local gun store yesterday and asked to see the only top loaded AR they had there. i brought up /EDIT the issue of /END EDIT bullet buttons and the guy immediately got into a huff about how they wouldn't touch the stuff and how your committing a felony every time you drop the mag, blah blah blah. i pretty much told him hes full of ****, and walked out.

i dont mind driving 50 miles out of town to spend my money somewhere else to hear less FUD. wont be going there anymore.

your good, its just a rumor. :D

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Yea just went into my local gun store yesterday and asked to see the only top loaded AR they had there. i brought up the bullet buttons and the guy immediately got into a huff about how they wouldn't touch the stuff and how your committing a felony every time you drop the mag, blah blah blah. i pretty much told him hes full of ****, and walked out.

i dont mind driving 50 miles out of town to spend my money somewhere else to hear less FUD. wont be going there anymore.

your good, its just a rumor. :D

Wait, they sold BBs and still told you it was illegal to drop a mag? Name the shop or it didn't happen.

bboyin4food
10-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Wait, they sold BBs and still told you it was illegal to drop a mag? Name the shop or it didn't happen.

nah. they had a top loaded AR - the kind you gotta take the upper off to reload.

they did not sell any kind of bullet button stuff. i was the one that asked about the BB's and why they didnt sell them, and the salesman got all Mr. Boyscout on me :rolleyes:.

Hunters supply in Salinas - good selection, but way overpriced. that was the second time ive been there - and the last.

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
God, I've gotta learn to read. You said you "brought up the BBs" but, I read "you bought up the BBs". There's a store in Simi Valley, Greta's, that's the same way. But, the owner is an ex-cop so, he knows the laws better than anyone else. All his staff thinks the same way he does and everything is overpriced because, except for Turner's in Reseda, it's the closest gun store to the San Fernando Valley and it doesn't have the stupid City of Los Angeles restrictions governing it.

bboyin4food
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
God, I've gotta learn to read. You said you "brought up the BBs" but, I read "you bought up the BBs". There's a store in Simi Valley, Greta's, that's the same way. But, the owner is an ex-cop so, he knows the laws better than anyone else. All his staff thinks the same way he does and everything is overpriced because, except for Turner's in Reseda, it's the closest gun store to the San Fernando Valley and it doesn't have the stupid City of Los Angeles restrictions governing it.

lol, np. yea this shop is the same way. its the only fully stocked gun store in the area. nothing for probably about 50 miles into the bay around san jose area so they have their way with what they want.

they wanted almost $40 for a factory glock 26 10rd magazine :eek:
i was just in Idaho last month and the factory 33rd mag was only $45!

kf6tac
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
If the law is changed in an attempt to obviate the Bullet Button, SKSes become assault weapons subject to AW registration - in addition to the ~250K OLL rifles out there.

This. I'm sure the politicians, even the dumb ones like De Leon, probably realize that if word got out that such a law was in the works, all they would get is a TIDAL WAVE of people buying bullet button equipped rifles (I'd personally account for as many rifles as my savings could buy) who would then register them as assault weapons, leaving them subsequently free to equip all the evil features they want.

winxp_man
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
well i own two complete rifles and plan on buying another lower and throw a LPK and BB just to have it around :D thanks guys...... i was thinking the same and i just wanted to hear that my idea was right that there are just to many things that will have to be changed based on how many CA ar owners are out there..... again thanks

Hunter4life1990
10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
nah. they had a top loaded AR - the kind you gotta take the upper off to reload.

they did not sell any kind of bullet button stuff. i was the one that asked about the BB's and why they didnt sell them, and the salesman got all Mr. Boyscout on me :rolleyes:.

Hunters supply in Salinas - good selection, but way overpriced. that was the second time ive been there - and the last.

hahaha im from salinas,yeah they are way to expensive if you even hint at anything other than the top loading models they call you felon.they are nice people but for all your oll needs or questions STAY AWAY FROM HUNTER SUPPLY.

artherd
10-06-2009, 3:00 AM
I'm sure the politicians, even the dumb ones like De Leon, probably realize that if word got out that such a law was in the works, all they would get is a TIDAL WAVE of people buying bullet button equipped rifles (I'd personally account for as many rifles as my savings could buy) who would then register them as assault weapons, leaving them subsequently free to equip all the evil features they want.

Does that make Wes Gene Rob and I the 'wave machine?' :)

Exactly this happened in early 2006 when we broke the OLL concept - and we got the desired result "The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones." - AM of DOJ.

thatrogue
10-06-2009, 4:53 AM
Wes Gene Rob artherd ahhhh:clap: The A team.

tenpercentfirearms
10-06-2009, 6:41 AM

Someone with photoshop skills could throw Bill Weise in there and have an impressive poster.

Mitch
10-06-2009, 7:32 AM
This. I'm sure the politicians, even the dumb ones like De Leon, probably realize that if word got out that such a law was in the works, all they would get is a TIDAL WAVE of people buying bullet button equipped rifles

I'm surprised you believe the people who draft this legislation even care one way or the other. You really think Perata or DeLeon lose sleep at night worrying about ordinary Californians owning AR-15s? They don't craft this legislation because they actually care about reducing crime. If they did, they would spend their time working on legislation that, you know, actually did something about crime.

The problem is exactly as Bill characterizes it: "assault weapon" legislation is devilishly difficult to craft, especially if you don't know that much about guns ("it's a shoulder thing that goes up"). The only fool-proof legislation I can think of would be a blanket ban on all semi-auto rifles. Since that is not going to happen, the gun grabbers are reduced to inventing convoluted language that is easily defeated by a clever firearms enthusiast.

dantodd
10-06-2009, 7:37 AM
This. I'm sure the politicians, even the dumb ones like De Leon, probably realize that if word got out that such a law was in the works, all they would get is a TIDAL WAVE of people buying bullet button equipped rifles (I'd personally account for as many rifles as my savings could buy) who would then register them as assault weapons, leaving them subsequently free to equip all the evil features they want.

Don't bet that this would be the result. While obviously many people would buy and register new BB guns there is no reason the legislature couldn't create a separate classification of RAW which can only be configured in accordance with today's laws. This would make enforcement a nightmare and would keep us from taking our BBs off of our rifles, even after registration or adding a .50 BMG upper etc.

Of course this is all just shaking our fists at shadows as incorporation changes the whole game, though it would be one more law we would have to spend time and energy on overturning.

WokMaster1
10-06-2009, 8:01 AM

Someone with photoshop skills could throw Bill Weise in there and have an impressive poster.

I thought "ahhhh:clap:" was Bill in unitard clapping.

pdq_wizzard
10-06-2009, 8:33 AM

let me guess, Wild Sports on Greenback?????

tombinghamthegreat
10-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Its FUD. Refer to the AW flowchart for featureless or BB builds.

winxp_man
10-06-2009, 1:47 PM
let me guess, Wild Sports on Greenback?????

no its was a guy i bought some gun parts from a guy who told me to double check and i did but only the old stuff we already know... i dont talk to hunting shops about leagal AR-15 stuff they get crazy but then again there loss and my gain :D right

winxp_man
10-06-2009, 1:49 PM
Its FUD. Refer to the AW flowchart for featureless or BB builds.

i did refer to the chart and even when to check out the actual written law just to be safe. you never know right ?