PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first C&R, experience

cyrus
10-05-2009, 9:29 PM
I bought a 99 Mosin nagant. A 1943 high wall with a finish that looks like the Germans were attacking the factory when it was made. So off we went to metcalf and with my bother in law. Being 6'3", 200lbs and overly ambitious, I brought a 100 rounds of Bulgarian ammo.

I shot the gun once at arms length to give it the is-it-going-to-explode-test. Have new found confidence as being successful, I shot standing 3 times. Wow what power. I was getting the hang of this high powered rifle. Overflowing with confidence I decided to shoot from the bench. Bending forward too far the buttstock rested against a piece of anatomy in my shoulder that must be related to my funny bone, I fired, Feeling like pain surge through my shoulder, I proceeded to cry like a little girl. A bystander suggested a piece of carpet could be held between me and the Mosin Nagant. So I selected a filth piece of carpet that best represented a Russian jacket I tested the idea. The amazing carpet cut the pain significanly. I was back in fight.
After about 50 more rounds we having a great time were as incredibly sore. So in order to change things up we went to the hanging steel pieces at 100 yards. With a ping ratio of around 60% with iron sights this Mosin was so accurate that I think the factory workers may have been sober on the day they made this rifle. Ping Ping Ping... then a round ricocheted to the left in the bushes. No time to stop now, we are beating the Axis. 10 Round latter we saw a fire, no not small but a large fire where the ricochet landed. With 4 foot flames the range masters ran with shovels and put out the fire. Then one stormed over to me check my ammo. After finding I did not have incedinary rounds. I was given the thumbs up to continue.

All in all around 80 rounds, 1 fire, and a sore shoulder deserving a purple heart, it was one of the best times I have ever had at the range.

Saigon1965
10-05-2009, 9:30 PM
Time for a limbsaver -

tuna quesadilla
10-05-2009, 9:39 PM
This is why we don't use magnetic ammo...

cryoguy
10-05-2009, 9:45 PM
Thats why I love my Mosin so much. It may not be the most accurate but it sure is fun to shoot.

7.62x54R
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Time for a limbsaver -

+ one i dont find the recoil bad in 91/30's or Finn M39. its the M44 that hurts.

Brianguy
10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I picked up my 91/30 a month ago and i've been itchin to shoot her. I picked up 440 rds of the Bulgarian too :D I found a nice rubber recoil pad on ebay that screws in place of the metal plate.

Spiggy
10-06-2009, 12:25 AM
All in all around 80 rounds, 1 fire, and a sore shoulder deserving a purple heart, it was one of the best times I have ever had at the range.

throw on a heavy wool coat and you're back in business :D

johnthomas
10-06-2009, 1:25 AM
You can also get the shoulder pad vest at wal mart. I always wear a jacket anyway so it hides the whimp pad, lol.

Gunaria
10-06-2009, 1:09 PM
See you don't need an overpriced piece of plastic rifle to have a good time at the range. C&R's rule. Give me blued steel & real wood any day.:D

Jimmy310
10-06-2009, 1:19 PM
Mosin's are awesome! Great story, glad you had fun. I can wait to go out next month and shoot my mosin and enfield........wish .303 was more abundant and cheap like 7.62x54r.

packnrat
10-06-2009, 1:28 PM
Now that you have shot a mosan, time to go and find a SVT-40,
russans answer to the M1grand.
It shoots the same 7.62X54r, but better.

Keep on target. And be safe!

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-06-2009, 4:20 PM
Let me know next time you are going to Metcalf!

RimfireJim
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Give me blued steel & real wood any day.:D
Amen to that, brother! :D

knucklehead0202
10-06-2009, 11:07 PM
mmm hmmm, took my m44 out last time and made fireballs. little bastard is pretty accurate too, whoever says you have to shoot them with the bayonet out is a wanker. they're just fine with it folded. i also have a sportered military '91 mauser in 7.65 which is pretty fun. i've recently anointed it with an S&K scout mount and 4x32 scout scope. haven't got it out yet but it should be fun. c&r's frickin' rule! i own many military stock ones, but have 4 or 5 sporters with scopes that are also awesome. I'm with gunaria, i love wood and metal. my safe smells like old wood and i just adore it. mosins are the best bang for the buck(pardon the pun) but ammo's cheap, guns are cheap, and they'll kill the hell out of anything you shoot with 'em.

mtsul
10-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Mosin's are awesome! Great story, glad you had fun. I can wait to go out next month and shoot my mosin and enfield........wish .303 was more abundant and cheap like 7.62x54r.

Get on sportsmans guide and buy the chamber insert to let you shoot 32 acp out of your .303 brit they have em for 303 308 30-06 7.62x54r (you can shoot all 32 sizes out of the 7.62x54r)

Lucky Scott
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Uh OH, now you are hooked!

I love my Mosin and shoot it all the time. Yeah, I wimped out and bought one of those shoulder pads, but can now put 100 rounds down range easily.

Watch out, I started with one rifle and ended up with 5, (so far).

glennsche
10-07-2009, 2:50 PM
Uh OH, now you are hooked!

I love my Mosin and shoot it all the time. Yeah, I wimped out and bought one of those shoulder pads, but can now put 100 rounds down range easily.

Watch out, I started with one rifle and ended up with 5, (so far).

same here. bought a big5 mosin in january, my first gun ever, now i have a C&R and a safe with 11 rifles in it.

socomIInato
10-08-2009, 1:20 AM
we are all infected with mosin fever! just got back from angeles, sighted in my 91/30 and m44. heavy ball ammo kicks steel rearend, love that brass cased yugo HB.

emcon5
10-08-2009, 7:06 AM
Get on sportsmans guide and buy the chamber insert to let you shoot 32 acp out of your .303 brit they have em for 303 308 30-06 7.62x54r (you can shoot all 32 sizes out of the 7.62x54r)

Wow. that is pretty cool:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rifle-chamber-insert.aspx?a=471502

Nodda Duma
10-08-2009, 7:14 AM
This is why we don't use magnetic ammo...

This is why the ranges should clear their firing lanes of dry vegetation...

mmm hmmm, took my m44 out last time and made fireballs. little bastard is pretty accurate too, whoever says you have to shoot them with the bayonet out is a wanker. they're just fine with it folded.

YOURS is fine with the bayonet retracted. YOU should be very thankful for that. MY M44 shoots a foot to the left at 50 yards with the bayonet retracted. With it extended, it is dead on and can easily ping steel at 300. Since you have never fired MY rifle, are you going to continue to insist that I am a "wanker"?

Unless you've shot every M44 out there, or.. at the very least a statistically significant number of M44's and found that the bayonet makes no difference, you should be little more careful about calling shooters who are relating THEIR personal experience "wankers"

-Jason

cryoguy
10-08-2009, 1:05 PM

YOURS is fine with the bayonet retracted. YOU should be very thankful for that. MY M44 shoots a foot to the left at 50 yards with the bayonet retracted. With it extended, it is dead on and can easily ping steel at 300. Since you have never fired MY rifle, are you going to continue to insist that I am a "wanker"?

Unless you've shot every M44 out there, or.. at the very least a statistically significant number of M44's and found that the bayonet makes no difference, you should be little more careful about calling shooters who are relating THEIR personal experience "wankers"

-Jason

I agree. Some MILSURP rifles are accurate and some arn't. Be carefull when calling names please. My 91/30 is very accurate but doesn't like Czhec ammo. Yugo and Hungarien is preferred.

glennsche
10-08-2009, 2:38 PM

-Jason

awww is someone being a bit hyper sensitive?

a. he never called you out, rather made general statement about his experience. at least, that's how i interpreted it.
b. even if he did, does being called a "wanker" actually hurt yer feelers? we're all wankers.

Nodda Duma
10-08-2009, 3:13 PM
Gee thanks for the tough love, mom. :rolleyes:

-Jason

awww is someone being a bit hyper sensitive?

a. he never called you out, rather made general statement about his experience. at least, that's how i interpreted it.
b. even if he did, does being called a "wanker" actually hurt yer feelers? we're all wankers.

cryoguy
10-09-2009, 8:23 AM
Someone should set up a range day just for mosins. I think it would be neat to see all of that history in one place.

corpsedub
10-09-2009, 8:44 AM
there is not one time that i have gone to the range(be it los gatos or metcalf) that my M44 has failed to strike up conversation. one of my favorites to shoot, own and hold. the feel, the weight, the smell, the look. my othger guns pail in comparison to it's character with the exception of my CZ, which also posses the awesomeness.

knucklehead0202
10-09-2009, 10:26 PM
well, i guess i am lucky, but the fact of the matter is that the bayonet thing is mostly an urban legend. the possibility exists that at some point in YOUR individual rifle's history, that the front sight was drifted to compensate for an extended bayonet, but the rifle was not designed that way. only a wanker would do that. :beatdeadhorse5:

Milsurp Collector
10-10-2009, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth:

The carbine can be fired with the bayonet folded in place or extended, but it is important to note that the M44 was designed to be fired with the bayonet in the extended position. This design fact means when the bayonet is not extended, the point of aim/impact changes.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Russian-M44-Carbine.asp

Q. Why does my M44 shoot so far to the left (or right) of the point of aim?
A. M44s were sighted in with the bayonet extended. Shooting with the bayonet stowed affects the barrel harmonics and can change the point of impact by as much as 1 foot per 100 yards. Not all M44s are effected this much or even at all. Either shoot with the bayonet extended or drift the front sight to compensate for the difference.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

Reports from other M44 owners confirm that it shoots closer to point of aim with the bayonet extended, and a few also reported smaller groups

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=118450&highlight=bayonet+extended
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=84374&highlight=bayonet+extended
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=3951&highlight=bayonet+extended

:)

Scratch705
10-10-2009, 12:46 AM
well, i guess i am lucky, but the fact of the matter is that the bayonet thing is mostly an urban legend. the possibility exists that at some point in YOUR individual rifle's history, that the front sight was drifted to compensate for an extended bayonet, but the rifle was not designed that way. only a wanker would do that. :beatdeadhorse5:

not urban legend, and why don't you try to stop calling proven experiences and the people that experienced it wankers. :rolleyes:

Dekker
10-10-2009, 2:45 AM
even if he did, does being called a "wanker" actually hurt yer feelers? we're all wankers.

*notes lotion on desk and pile of tissues in the corner* And some of us, just a tad bit more than others :(

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-10-2009, 5:51 AM
even if he did, does being called a "wanker" actually hurt yer feelers? we're all wankers.

*notes lotion on desk and pile of tissues in the corner* And some of us, just a tad bit more than others :(

Silence, you dog! (WH40K Commisar Voice)

well, i guess i am lucky, but the fact of the matter is that the bayonet thing is mostly an urban legend. the possibility exists that at some point in YOUR individual rifle's history, that the front sight was drifted to compensate for an extended bayonet, but the rifle was not designed that way. only a wanker would do that.

This is quite contrary to my experience and the experiences of the country's greatest collectors. Milsurp Collector has already pointed that out through his links on gunboards. Combine the fact that a mounted bayonet changes the harmonics of the barrel, and that the Russians always had their bayonets mounted unless ordered otherwise, and you're left with a scenario that makes sense. Don't make **** up when you don't know what you're talking about. If you do, at least apologize.

ZRX61
10-12-2009, 9:11 AM
there is not one time that i have gone to the range(be it los gatos or metcalf) that my M44 has failed to strike up conversation.

In my experience those conversations invaribably start with the guy at the next bench saying something along the lines of "$#&*$#%^&*@! WTF was THAT?"

& just for reference: I usually shoot mine wearing a tshirt.. :)

johnthomas
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Big 5 had a great looking 91/30 for 99 bucks, was there in Watsonville yesterday. I bought my first at Big 5, 15 years ago for 89.00. It shot great but the one's now look so much better than they did back then.

knucklehead0202
10-20-2009, 10:00 PM
apparently i never posted, or it was deleted, either way, that's good. venkman, we disagree, which is a right we have as americans(for now). anyhow, many of these c&r issues go back as far as men and women having differing opinions about things. i would like to apologize for being a penis, there is no excuse, but these are trying times for us all. i'll leave it at that. i love you all for loving guns, especially old, weird guns like i like. good night.

wksun88
10-21-2009, 9:06 PM
awesome, next time fire a 45-70 and the mosin will feel like nothing :D