PDA

View Full Version : Cheap First Rifle

jordan870
10-05-2009, 8:50 PM
i was wondering if there are single shots that are cheap i want a first rifle and was wondering if this is the cheapest. i need something cheap. what would you guys recomend as a first rifle?

and
is a single shot more accurtate than a bolt-action?

just wondering what would be the cheapest first rifle it would be used for california game

reidnez
10-05-2009, 8:52 PM
What would I recommend as a first rifle? A ruger 10/22. Not single-shot, but cheap and fun to shoot. :thumbsup:

Single-shots are not more inherently accurate than bolt-actions, no.

Spyder
10-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Ruger Model 1, isn't it? Chambered in all sorts of different calibers, single shot, low price, decent looking. But yea, I recommend you start out with something in .22, and I'd also recommend the 10/22.

gdun
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
i think he wants something in big game calibers.
and no you can never get any more accurate than a bolt gun :)

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Yea, you can find a cheap, barely used NEF for around $100-$150. I have one in 30-30 that I bought for my stepson's first deer rifle. He didn't like it though. Now, it's a back-up to my back-up hunting rifle.

dfletcher
10-05-2009, 10:48 PM
i was wondering if there are single shots that are cheap i want a first rifle and was wondering if this is the cheapest. i need something cheap. what would you guys recomend as a first rifle?
and is a single shot more accurtate than a bolt-action?

I'd say in general a single shot is not more accurate than a bolt action rifle. Single shots are a bit of an aquired taste, I have some Ruger No1s, Winchester 1885s and Thompson/Center Encore and Contender.

I think the Ruger No1 is the nicest looking, but my experience regarding accuracy is that they can be finicky on accuracy. The Winchester 1885 is a nice looking gun, mine's in 7 WSM and it's very accurate, better than the Ruger.

The T/C is the most versatile, but it's a very light gun and I think best kept in the 30 cal & under chamberings. I shot my Contender in 375 JDJ last week, it's not too bad at all but it sure let's you know it's there. One of my favorite chamberings is the Encore in 25/35 - accurate as heck and pleasant to shoot.

The NEF does the same thing as the T/C, but at a much lower price. I've heard and seen accuracy problems related to the forend on the NEF.

1siktkt
10-06-2009, 5:16 AM
I have a Handi-Rifle in .308 and it is a good gun but I would recomend saving a little more and getting a bolt gun IMHO they are more accutarate and not too much more $
That said if you are set on a single the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifles are good guns and you can have a multi-caliber by sending your forend to manf. and having them fit another barrel to it (pretty cheap too)
my 2 cents

jordan870
10-06-2009, 6:47 AM
ya i am looking for like a .30-06.
thanks
i figured that because there is no action on one then you could have like a 26 inch barrel or loger and it be just as long as a bolt action with a 22 inch barrel

Fjold
10-06-2009, 7:00 AM
A single barrel break top with a 26" barrel will be about as long as a bolt rifle for the reason that you stated. There are also drop block, falling block and other types of single shot actions that will not have that same feature. Also many popular single shots are built on bolt action actions, they just don't have magazine cutouts for feeding extra cartridges, Savage makes a lot of them and many custom actions are single shots.

Most break open type guns will not be as accurate as a bolt guns because of a couple of reasons: The fact that the action hinges means that it has to have some clearance between the chamber area of the barrel and the frame to allow the barrel to tip open and the forearm of two piece stocks usually mount on the barrel which causes pressure to vary on the barrel which also affects accuracy.

sevensix2x51
10-06-2009, 7:21 AM
single shot rifles are awesome, theres no doubt. The tc encore especially, when your collection is larger. You can have a barrel for every caliber you own.
however, i think you'd be a lot happier with a stevens by savage, or a weatherby vanguard. (i think those are the names, correct me if im wrong) they can be had cheaper than the encore, and they have a box magazine. Also, im pretty sure they have the stevens and vanguards as rifle/scope packages, to save you some more money.

but if it were up to me, id have you get a 10/22 and shoot only that for 5-10 years with irons, like the rest of us had to do :D

Spirit 1
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree the 10/22 is a whole lot of bang for the buck as is, and has further near limitless potential for upgrades of any type.

But for a larger caliber there's something more to think about, like getting a used gun that has build potential. That's probably not a single shot. There are several guns used for long range stuff, target & hunting. Slightly higher initial price, but you can get a well used one cheap.

Then as your skills pick up and you begin to out-shoot it there's a myriad of custom upgrades you can do. In other words if you want you can rebuild the gun continually from beater on up to an astounding tack driver even out to 1,000 yards!

You would never really outgrow it because of it's potential for custom mods. Stocks, barrels, bolts, optics, small parts, chamber work, and many other options are possible on the right gun, like a 700 or others.

Check what the long range guys are using for their basic gun for builds, get one & learn to shoot it as is, then when the time comes mortgage your kids to buy all the bells & whistles. That's an investment rather than just a purchase.

RugerNo1
10-06-2009, 1:06 PM
The first centerfire rifle I ever bought was a Ruger No. 1 Varminter in 22-250 Rem. and to this day, 4 years later, I still have a blast with it. However, in my opinion it is a fairly light rifle and may not be very fun for heavy 30-06 loads...But, the action alone is one of the strongest and can take some punishment. But, for a first gun? Go 10-22!!!:D

slappomatt
10-06-2009, 3:17 PM
yeah a 10-22 is good for a first gun. as to the ruger number 1. they are awsome and I want one bad but cheap they are not!!

smittty
10-06-2009, 6:02 PM

and

Single shot is not more accurate than a bolt action. That doesn't mean they are not accurate but something like a Ruger No. 1 needs work and hand loads to get decent accuracy. They have terrible factory trigger pull and is not adjustable. And these rifles are expensive.

The NEF single shots are pretty accurate and have OK triggers but for the money I'd start with a Stevens Savage model 200 in a short action. It's a $300 rifle that has decent accuracy right out of the box.

If you go the Stevens 200 route I recommend a short action caliber such as 223 or 308. The short action will make mounting a scope easier. Some scopes are too short for their long action. Anyway, good rifles for very low price, and made here in the US.

jordan870
10-06-2009, 8:02 PM
i shoot my friends 10/22 every time i go out practicly.
so what is a cheap rifle i can get that is halfway desent?(dont care what action weather bolt or single or pump)

jordan870
10-07-2009, 8:04 AM
what about the marlin xl7
used or new?

WeekendWarrior
10-07-2009, 8:39 AM
WWRTW

thomashoward
10-07-2009, 8:52 AM
and

I did not catch what your intended purpose was for the center fire.
Small Game?, Deer? a TC Contender would be excellent as you can buy additional barrels as you have funds.

No a single shot is not MORE accurate than a bolt, but many are accurate enough for general purposes

jordan870
10-07-2009, 4:07 PM
I did not catch what your intended purpose was for the center fire.
Small Game?, Deer? a TC Contender would be excellent as you can buy additional barrels as you have funds.

No a single shot is not MORE accurate than a bolt, but many are accurate enough for general purposes

deer bear pig california game

Davidoff
10-07-2009, 4:23 PM
I second Smitty's opinion on a Savage 200. If you get the short action in .308 you will have enough power for pig and deer, maybe small bear too.

The MSRP is $399, but it can be found for $300-$350 new, or ~$420 with a Simmons or Bushnell 3-9x40 scope already mounted.

I have a Stevens 200 in .223, and it is a great rife for the price. The barrel is fairly thin so you will need to let it cool for a few minutes every 10-20 rounds.
Cold barrel accuracy is phenomenal, getting less than 1" groups with a $400 rifle is a great feeling.

Here's a link:http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

jordan870
10-07-2009, 5:27 PM
ok so what is the cheapest rifle out there?

rubber duckie
10-07-2009, 5:32 PM
why not just buy a saiga for 400 otd?

jordan870
10-07-2009, 5:36 PM
i have never heard of saiga?
are they any good?

is 400 cheap for a rifle?

tombinghamthegreat
10-07-2009, 6:49 PM
i have never heard of saiga?
are they any good?

is 400 cheap for a rifle?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156400

Basically it is AK style rifle with a detachable mag. About a year ago you could get this rifle for $300 but 400 is a fair price. It is cheap for a semi automatic rifle, if you compare it with an AR15 style rifle(over $1,000) or a Mini Ruger($800). There are mosin nagants(ww2 bolt action rifle) that you could get less than $100

Jeffy
10-07-2009, 7:01 PM
How about a Mosin Nagant? Cheap to buy and cheap to shoot.

shmeddie
10-07-2009, 7:12 PM

this is the first thing I thought of! 7.62x54r will take down dear and pigs. I don't know about bears though. Mosins can be had for under $100 and accurate enough.

tankerman
10-07-2009, 7:44 PM
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

You can get one for around $200. No frills, get the job done rifle.

geronimo2012
10-07-2009, 7:46 PM

Agreed, Mosins are cheap and there is alot of accesories available for them. Soft point 7.62 X 54R is reasonably priced and powerful enough to take anything you would encounter in Cali. Get a M44, put an ATI synthetic stock and a decent scope on it and you will have one hell of a nice hunting rifle.

Here is mine.

Fot
10-07-2009, 8:08 PM

+1 on this. Can be found online for $80. Used guns online are a pig and a poke, but i have heard really good things about this gun. Also most Big 5 stock a few of these under $200

slappomatt
10-07-2009, 8:39 PM
yeah. I'm not a fan of the scope mounts for those. but the open sights should work well enough. the scope mounts require you to cut off the bolt handle and drill and tap a new handle onto the action. I have done it for a friends gun and wasnt impressed.

ILVSMOG
10-07-2009, 8:57 PM
I have to throw in a vote for the 1903A3. They're inexpensive and plentiful, shoot 30-06 and are very accurate with the factory iron sights.

technique
10-07-2009, 9:56 PM
There are a ton of used hunting bolt guns (since you edited looking for a game gun)

Winchesters, Rems, Savage,....tons man tons.

If you find yourself in the Bay Area at all...drop by the SJ gun exchange. You will literally see the walls lined with used singles and bolts that are perfectly serviceable for game. Just don't expect the best service!!!

Good luck with the search!

jordan870
10-08-2009, 7:03 AM
thanks so much for all your help.
where would you get a 1903A3?

ILVSMOG
10-08-2009, 2:52 PM
CMP (civilian marksmanship program) still has a ton of them, as far as I know. I see them just about everywhere it seems like.

olhunter
10-08-2009, 3:19 PM
CMP (civilian marksmanship program) still has a ton of them, as far as I know. I see them just about everywhere it seems like.

From the CMP website -

"M1903 AND M1903A RIFLES ARE ALL SOLD OUT AND NOT EXPECTED TO AGAIN BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 2011, AT THE EARLIEST."

Jordan, I would go with the Mosin like others have suggested. I would even suggest the M44/M38, which is on sale right now at Big5 for $139. I don't remember which model is on sale, but if it's the M44, you can bayonet the pig if you miss and he charges. The shorter barrel is easier to handle and hunt with in the field. The Mosin is rock-solid, dependable and accurate. Ammo is cheap. Check the barrel before you buy one and just make sure it actually has some rifling in it and it doesn't look like a gravel road.

tombinghamthegreat
10-08-2009, 4:10 PM
From the CMP website -

"M1903 AND M1903A RIFLES ARE ALL SOLD OUT AND NOT EXPECTED TO AGAIN BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 2011, AT THE EARLIEST."

Jordan, I would go with the Mosin like others have suggested. I would even suggest the M44/M38, which is on sale right now at Big5 for $139.

that is way too much, wait for their "sales" when they are 80 dollars.

sevensix2x51
10-08-2009, 4:58 PM
there's at least 2 1903's for sale in the pvt firearms section for around $400....

ILVSMOG
10-08-2009, 7:16 PM
From the CMP website -

Well that's a bummer! I'd suggest looking around and trying to find one. I've heard so many mixed things about the quality of the Big5 Mosins, that I'd be pretty skeptical about rolling the dice on one.

jordan870
10-09-2009, 6:49 AM
so what do mosins shoot?

olhunter
10-09-2009, 6:59 AM
so what do mosins shoot?

7.62x54R - Similar to a 30-06.

www.ammoman.com - free shipping. There's others, just Google it.

that is way too much, wait for their "sales" when they are 80 dollars.

That's the 91/30's. The 44/38's I've never seen below $130. Nothing wrong with the 91/30's, just a little unruly in the field.

jordan870
10-09-2009, 7:08 AM
so i guess there is multiple models witch one would be bast???
i like the idea of a 90 dollar gun

jordan870
10-09-2009, 7:16 AM
oh are the ballistics
how acurate is it

tankerman
10-09-2009, 2:23 PM
oh are the ballistics
how acurate is it

You should be good to go if you use barn door size targets or are hunting for T-Rex.

tombinghamthegreat
10-09-2009, 2:44 PM
oh are the ballistics
how acurate is it

It can vary due to how much use it has been though and the how skilled the user is. It is about as accurate as a low budget 30-06 rifle.

tankerman
10-09-2009, 4:11 PM
It can vary due to how much use it has been though and the how skilled the user is. It is about as accurate as a low budget 30-06 rifle.Really? I'll take a low budget Steven's, Savage or Remington against your Big 5 special Moisin any day. All three of those rifles will smoke a Moisin, they are not comparable.

jordan870
10-09-2009, 5:11 PM
but it should be acurate enough too hit a deer in the vitals and kill it right?

mif_slim
10-09-2009, 5:19 PM
I think Rossi makes one and it comes in two barrels..or was it three? Shotgun + Large Rifle. Thats pretty good. Its cheap too.

sevensix2x51
10-09-2009, 5:45 PM
but it should be acurate enough too hit a deer in the vitals and kill it right?

i had a mosin that could not hit a 24"x24" target at 50yd. it surely would hit a deer in the vitals, you just have to lay down in a rut and hope a deer steps over top of you...

you get what you pay for.

jordan870
10-09-2009, 6:00 PM
ok.
are there any succes stores with this gun.?.
why did so many people suggest it then say they couldnt hit something big close?

what are some other cheap rifles? that are accurate but under like 300

Brd_Hntr
10-09-2009, 6:34 PM
As an experience hunter here is what I would recomend:

Go to your local gun dealer and start looking at the used rack. You want a sporting rifle not a battle rifle. The weight should be reasonable cause you are going to be carrying that rifle over hill and dale. A quick check of any ammunition catalog would give a long list of possible caliber choices.

California has tight brush country and wide open spaces - better to get a rifle with reach. A bolt action is simple and easy to learn. Most of the modern rifles are very well made. A solid inexpensive second hand rifle in good condition, combined with a high quality scope will give years of service. You want to save some money for good binoculars and the best pair of boots you can buy.

Hunting does not require the utmost in accuracy. Your rifle must be reliable and safe. Lighter is better. You are going to carry this rifle much more than shoot it. You will never wear out a hunting rifle by shooting it - you wear them out through rough use. If you have any specific questions go ahead and pm me.

tankerman
10-09-2009, 7:43 PM
why did so many people suggest it then say they couldnt hit something big close?Because they don't know how to hunt.

jordan870
10-09-2009, 9:00 PM
As an experience hunter here is what I would recomend:

Go to your local gun dealer and start looking at the used rack. You want a sporting rifle not a battle rifle. The weight should be reasonable cause you are going to be carrying that rifle over hill and dale. A quick check of any ammunition catalog would give a long list of possible caliber choices.

California has tight brush country and wide open spaces - better to get a rifle with reach. A bolt action is simple and easy to learn. Most of the modern rifles are very well made. A solid inexpensive second hand rifle in good condition, combined with a high quality scope will give years of service. You want to save some money for good binoculars and the best pair of boots you can buy.

Hunting does not require the utmost in accuracy. Your rifle must be reliable and safe. Lighter is better. You are going to carry this rifle much more than shoot it. You will never wear out a hunting rifle by shooting it - you wear them out through rough use. If you have any specific questions go ahead and pm me.

thanks very muck

jordan870
10-10-2009, 8:05 AM
bump

paul0660
10-10-2009, 9:49 AM
All three of those rifles will smoke a Moisin, they are not comparable.

There are mosins and there are other mosins. I have been through a dozen in my time, and now have three that hit the ubiquitious two foot square steel at 400 yards, a 91/30, a m38, and a m39, all with the original sights. I never had one that was so bad it wouldn't find that target at 50 yards, but the other 9 or so had flyers, which makes them unreliable. Putting a scope on a mosin is a pain, but the ammo, for practicing and plinking, is really cheap. For a good first hunting rifle, a mosin is a crap shoot, so get something commercial, and budget for the ammo.

jordan870
10-10-2009, 5:38 PM
so the best bet for a reliable gun is save up some more?
would used be worth it?

gdun
10-10-2009, 6:13 PM
too many questions jordan

jordan870
10-10-2009, 6:15 PM
too many questions jordan

did you say that because you didnt know the ansewer?
hahaha

IrishPirate
10-10-2009, 6:18 PM
i believe you can find a remington 700 series 30-06 in single shot but not positive. the accuracy difference between single and internal mag bolt actions can be written off to the ability of the shooter. there's not a big enough difference to really tell

gdun
10-10-2009, 6:50 PM
did you say that because you didnt know the ansewer?
hahaha

no that's not it at all.

Skoomamonster
10-10-2009, 9:01 PM
would used be worth it?

Just get a marlin xl7 in 30 06 or an xs7 in 308 you can find them for $250-350, used should be just fine as long as you use your better judgment when purchasing and be careful with making sure the barrel has enough life left on it.

thomashoward
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
would used be worth it?
Save your money
No used for you, If you are unfamiliar with what to look for, you could get ripped easily. Unfortunately some gun dealers are not reputable people, and will skin you in a heartbeat.

Most gun makers have an entry level rifle that would be just fine. You may not get a Walnut stock and some of the other bells and whistles, but they are icing on the cake.You are looking for cake not icing.
Big 5 ad today has a Savage for $399. in '06 or 7 Mag WITH a scope which is good.

Both of these calibers have a wide range of bullet weights and you are good to go for anything except the big bears

jordan870
10-11-2009, 4:35 PM
ok thanks very much