PDA

View Full Version : Rifle to rifle accuracy difference?

Spirit 1
10-05-2009, 7:25 PM
Hi folks!

Just some chin scratching here. I see that various rifles have differing reputations for accuracy. For the sake of argument, let's say mil-surp, Mosin Nagant, compared to a quality hunting rifle.

What are some of the things that would make the Mosin Nagant inherently less accurate than the hunting rifle? I mean is it issues like the rifling, the chamber, barrel diameter or what? All of the above?

I'm sort of getting around to: why can't a guy make a Mosin Nagant into a tack driver? Could the rifling be improved? Would a cryogenics job on the barrel do it? Or some other smithing type stuff, as compared to replacing the entire barrel? Always wondered about this.

thanks!

Fjold
10-05-2009, 7:30 PM
Tolerances.

Most military arms are made with large tolerances for ease of manufacturing by marginally trained workers and for the lowest cost. They are designed to run with minimal care by conscript troops.

Sporting arms are made to tighter tolerances and are more uniform.

reidnez
10-05-2009, 7:33 PM
The differences is all in the tolerances. Most milsurp rifles, particularly Soviet ones, are intentionally machined to relatively liberal tolerances in order to enhance reliability--especially when dirty. Add a few decades of abuse, corrosive ammo, little-to-no maintenance and it's a wonder that Mosins shoot as straight as most of them do. 3-4 MOA is perfectly acceptable in a service rifle, anyway.

I don't know about making a tack driver out of a Mosin. It may well be possible, but I have a feeling that for the money you'd spend, you would be much better-served buying a new, off-the-shelf rifle which will shoot just as accurately.

Don't forget that ammo is part of the equation as well. Even if you had a tack-driver Mosin, it is never going to shoot sub-MOA groups with Yugo ball! There is some fairly rare 7.62x54R "sniper" ammo designed for the SVD, but other than...You could handload, of course, if you find some reloadable brass.

mif_slim
10-05-2009, 7:42 PM
Yes tollerance, but my Mosin is a tak driver at 50 yards since I havent had the chance for 100 yard yet. But the Finn Mosins are pretty nice rifles. I've seen guys use them for 800 yard and 1000 yard shots and it pretty much can hit a man size target at those distance.

In the Mosin community and the Buba's I've seen some that rebarreled the rifle to 8mm. But I wouldnt use that much money on a 80 dollar gun. By the time you do, you can buy a Savage 10 and get a tack driver OTB.

Spirit 1
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the great replies, guys! My question was more 'Why?', not how to make mine better, so you nailed it

Well, my problem is that I'm intolerant? Hmmmm, I've been accused of that before. But seriously, I see what you mean. Not exactly precision hand crafted stuff to begin with and a little late to start improving it. Thanks!

ar15barrels
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
What are some of the things that would make the Mosin Nagant inherently less accurate than the hunting rifle?

The ammo that you shoot in it.
Next would be the trigger and the barrel.

You could certainly spend more than the cost of a commercialy produced rifle trying to fix up a surplus rifle and get similar results to having just bought a commercially produced rifle to begin with.

brando
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Ammo is a big one. For example, inexpensive surplus ball ammo will often have wild variations in velocity. At 100 yards that may not mean much but at 500 yards the differences become quite apparent.