PDA

View Full Version : RRA 2-stage trigger - no take up?

high_revs
10-05-2009, 7:10 PM
I've always wondered about this, but I have not yet assembled my other lower with another RRA 2-stage trigger. I still had the instructions on my office desk, and decided to go read further. I did read it during install initially, but never asked these detailed (might be mundane) questions. My last thread after reading the instructions was the oversize pins. :D

I never felt a "2-stage" feel on it but it functions just right. Even got it tuned by Bill Springfield. Reading the yellow/greenish instruction sheet, it says "pull the trigger back to the second stage (this is the release stage) then release the trigger" under Step 8 - safety check. When I do this, there is only 1 click. If I play with the trigger and hammer enough (holding the hammer with left thumb), I might be able to get it to release ever so slightly and something else is still holding it from fully release (is this really the 2nd stage?). But when I pull back, it seems to go back all the way (is this really all the way to 1st stage). When shooting, I never notice this "take-up" when shooting even after it being tuned. I just pull, breaks clean.

Any other RRA owners have the same experience? At least there's no creep (noticeable to me). But somehow, something felt lacking and it felt like a 1-stage instead from a take-up perspective.

P.S. I guess I shot the RRA trigger enough that when I got my Recce, I hated the creep on it. I doubt it was take-up but it even felt/sound like a door creaking. :p brand new though; maybe just needed break-in but i had it tuned too anyway.

technique
10-05-2009, 7:24 PM
I have own 3 RRA two stage triggers, all but 1 has turned into a single stage. Thats common.

Even the one that still works is touchy...I don't notice it anymore because I am not a bench rest kinda guy that needs it for precision. But WeekendWarrior said it felt funny to him.

Cyclepath
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I would ask Bill Springfield to take a look at it since he tuned it. He does great work on triggers and should be able to restore the 2nd stage. However, I believe over time, there is a possibility that it will go single stage again. This is a common problem with the RRA 2 stage triggers. A Geissele SSA costs more but there is a reason for that.

doughboy334
10-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I would ask Bill Springfield to take a look at it since he tuned it. He does great work on triggers and should be able to restore the 2nd stage. However, I believe over time, there is a possibility that it will go single stage again. This is a common problem with the RRA 2 stage triggers. A Geissele SSA costs more but there is a reason for that.

+1 for the SSA :D

sholling
10-06-2009, 8:15 AM
RRA should not be smoothed. They are just case hardened and when you remove material you expose the soft easily worn inner core. I'd replace it with a Geissele.

oddball
10-06-2009, 8:25 AM
Call me cautious, but I would think an RRA 2-stage would be the last trigger needing some metal to be removed/polished, given its track record of turning into a single stage.

But a tuned single stage is an excellent trigger also.

zman
10-06-2009, 8:33 AM
Call me cautious, but I would think an RRA 2-stage would be the last trigger needing some metal to be removed/polished, given its track record of turning into a single stage.

But a tuned single stage is an excellent trigger also.

That's my line of thinking also :confused:

I have own 3 RRA two stage triggers, all but 1 has turned into a single stage. Thats common.

Even the one that still works is touchy...I don't notice it anymore because I am not a bench rest kinda guy that needs it for precision. But WeekendWarrior said it felt funny to him.

Hey tech,

Do you have a RRA 2-stage on your AR with more than 10k rounds?

high_revs
10-06-2009, 9:03 AM

Thanks Cyclepath. Actually, it's the same even before I sent it. I don't feel that "take-up." Still works. No biggie for me if somehow it's become a single stage. I plan on getting a geissele one day anyway for comparison.

technique
10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey tech,

Do you have a RRA 2-stage on your AR with more than 10k rounds?

I do, and its a freak of nature I tell you.:)

zman
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I do, and its a freak of nature I tell you.:)

Kewl! That's good to know. :party: