PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long? short term storage

high_revs
10-05-2009, 6:02 PM
Been searching for probably 90 mins on different key terms here. Couldn't find much on internet either. But what constitutes "short term storage?" I mean, I have one rifle I've not shot since May. Is there such thing as short term storage? And if so, how long/many months to consider before it does become short term? Most threads I saw were like 1 year or more. For something less than 1 yr, just oil down the barrel? Do I have to clean it first before running a oiled patch? (just asking on that last one).

Secondly, does it apply to chrome line barrels?

Thirdly, when ready to shoot, is just a patch or 2 to remove the oil in barrel (which I thought I recall from old threads I came across back then). Or do I need also run a solvent to remove the oil.

Lastly, what is the longest I should go w/o having to run oil down the barrel before it becomes short term? i.e. how long unsused? 4 months? 5 months? Don't bother if less than 6 months?

I've not been out much during late summer (been busy, cycling a lot to get health back, LASIK, etc.). So now that my other builds are almost there, I'd probably shoot those more in the up coming months. I figure the same rule of thumbs go for handguns? I'd post in the general thread but I have a chrome lined rifle that that might be better answered here.

AJAX22
10-05-2009, 6:11 PM
If you safe is dry and your guns are oiled.... 1 year is about right..

If its a humid environment, or it rains. then your timetable gets pushed up significantly.

light oil should keep your bore in good shape, it doesnt hurt to run a clean patch down the bore before firing regardless of how long the gun has been stored (you don't know what dust/lint fell down the bore)

You should keep your guns clean and oiled regardless of if you are or are not going to shoot them frequently. You never know what corrosive crap the guy upwind of you was shooting.

I have fired two guns in the last year and 1/2 (when visiting in CA) for a total of around 200 rounds, none of the firearms I pulled out when going through my stuff had any rust or corrosion when I dug them out of storage.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/IMG_0112.jpg

DK9mm
10-05-2009, 7:16 PM
If you safe is dry and your guns are oiled.... 1 year is about right..

If its a humid environment, or it rains. then your timetable gets pushed up significantly.

light oil should keep your bore in good shape, it doesnt hurt to run a clean patch down the bore before firing regardless of how long the gun has been stored (you don't know what dust/lint fell down the bore)

You should keep your guns clean and oiled regardless of if you are or are not going to shoot them frequently. You never know what corrosive crap the guy upwind of you was shooting.

I have fired two guns in the last year and 1/2 (when visiting in CA) for a total of around 200 rounds, none of the firearms I pulled out when going through my stuff had any rust or corrosion when I dug them out of storage.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/IMG_0112.jpg

Can I come over and play?

SkatinJJ
10-05-2009, 7:22 PM
Looks like the festivities at my buddy's house this weekend.

Pure fun. :D