PDA

View Full Version : Governor Delaying Action on Bills??

natasha69
10-05-2009, 4:54 PM
http://www.capitolweekly.net/article.php?_c=ybibewascl5fzc&xid=ybi967g9i6h1zr&done=.ybibewasclpfzc

This falls under rumour and whispers, but it seems the Governor wants all the bills pulled until the legislature comes up with a water solution for CA. Either they pull the bills or he vetos every last one of them at the end of the week.

This might explain why we have not seen any whisper of what is going on with AB962.

Either way, don't let up guys. It's the home stretch and we need to keep the call volume high and increasing.

Gov wants bills pulled back until water deal is reached

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, apparently standing by a threat to veto hundreds of bills on his desk unless a deal can be reached on the state's water problems, has suggested to Senate leader Darrell Steinberg that all legislation before the governor should be withdrawn to avoid a veto. About 700 bills are awaiting action.

Schwarzenegger did not formally request that the bills be yanked, but that was the implicit suggestion in his proposal, Capitol sources said.

The communications between Steinberg and the governor were referenced in an e-mail sent from Steinberg to Senate Democrats this week. In the internal e-mail, which was reviewed by Capitol Weekly, Steinberg said Schwarzenegger "even mentioned coming back this week to withdraw bills from his desk and hold them until after water is done."

The govenror has called a Big 5 meeting of hismself and legislative leaders, tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, to discuss progress on water negotiations and on the hundreds of bills that have already been passed by both houses.

Steinberg spokeswoman Alicia Trost said Schwarzenegger did not formally ask Steinberg to withdraw the hndreds of Senate bills on the governor's desk. And in the e-mail, Steinberg said his advice to members was "not to participate in the silliness and continue to do our jobs."

Schwarzenegger spokesman Aaron McLear refused to comment about Steinberg's e-mail or whether or not the governor wants the bills removed from his desk.

The e-mail comes as the governor remains coy about the fate of the bills still on his desk. McLear said Monday that no decision had been made about how many bills the governor would sign or veto, but did say Schwarzenegger remains committed to trying to secure a water deal.

"The governor will consider every bill on its merits, but believes the focus needs to be on water right now," he said.

Schwarzenegger has until Oct. 11 to act upon the bills currently on his desk. If he does not sign or veto a bill by that time, it automatically becomes law. If any bill were withdrawn from his desk, it could be sent back at a later date. That would effectively reset the clock, and the governor would have 12 days from the day the bill returns to his desk to act on the bill.

When asked if a water deal was imminent, sources in the Legislature and the governor's office said meetings will continue through the week, but that no agreement has been reached.

The Senate is planning to return on Oct. 13 to convene both a regular session and finish up bills in the third extraordinary session. The Senate is hoping to take up nearly two dozen bills, including funding for battered women's shelters and hospitals that were killed as part of a partisan meltdown at the end of session in the early hours of Sept. 12.

A spokeswoman for Speaker Karen Bass, D-Los Angeles, said there were no plans for the Assembly to return. "There are no plans for the Assembly to come back currently because the Assembly finished its job last month before session ended," said Bass spokewoman Shannon Murphy.

The Senate may also take up a measure to fast track a proposed NFL stadium in the City of Industry. While the developer has reached a deal with the City of Walnut over the plan, a local citizens group remains opposed to the proposal. Trost said it would be the Senate's preference for local officials to reach a compromise.

"We are currently working with the citizens group that is the remaining opposition to see if we can come up with a settlement so there would not be a need for the legislation," she said.

kf6tac
10-05-2009, 4:55 PM
Well if that's the case, then I hope the legislature doesn't pull them. I'd much rather he just flat out veto them.

bsim
10-05-2009, 5:05 PM
Yeah, that's all we need, to have the bills pulled then resubmitted. All this work will then have to be duplicated for 12 days sometime in the future.

Shyte.

devildog999
10-05-2009, 5:08 PM
I would love it if he just vetoed em, at least the 2 gun bills go bye bye

bomb_on_bus
10-05-2009, 5:17 PM
Man I hope he follows through and vetos the bills.

The only thing that I have heard about on the water solution is the big wigs want to create a pipeline that carries water from the San Joaquin river delta to the southlands where it can water crops and help restore the water tables that have all but dissapeared around here.

BroncoBob
10-05-2009, 5:23 PM
Veto, veto, veto, veto...... I would just love it.

BigDogatPlay
10-05-2009, 5:24 PM
That infrastructure already exists... the issue is turning the pumps in the delta back on to put water into the aqueduct.

natasha69
10-05-2009, 5:25 PM
i hope he picks 10 bills he'd veto anyway, and just kills them off...like AB962. as a shot across the bow.

this water issue is surprising - if anything deserved stimulus $$, this would be it. desalinisation plants up and down the coast.

kf6tac
10-05-2009, 5:27 PM
That infrastructure already exists... the issue is turning the pumps in the delta back on to put water into the aqueduct.

Haha, that delta is so disgusting it'd probably clog the pumps in a heartbeat.

Midian
10-05-2009, 5:31 PM
Man I hope he follows through and vetos the bills.

The only thing that I have heard about on the water solution is the big wigs want to create a pipeline that carries water from the San Joaquin river delta to the southlands where it can water crops and help restore the water tables that have all but dissapeared around here.

Instead of pumping TRILLIONS to banks that ruined the US economy, some of it should have been used for a desalination plants in California. A huge modern 21st Century infrastructure project the state and country as a whole desperately needs, thus creating tons of jobs.

But no. Banks first, you last. You're not too big to fail.

I'd like to say I can't imagine something this asinine getting signed into law, but Good God, nothing in CA surprises me now.

Where's all the NRA pressure to veto this pig? Is that happening?

CHS
10-05-2009, 5:57 PM
It scares the hell out of me that there are HUNDREDS of bills on the Governor's desk. HUNDREDS. That means hundreds of new laws.

Why can't there be hundreds of bills each year that simply repeal laws?

obeygiant
10-05-2009, 6:10 PM
Instead of pumping TRILLIONS to banks that ruined the US economy, some of it should have been used for a desalination plants in California. A huge modern 21st Century infrastructure project the state and country as a whole desperately needs, thus creating tons of jobs.

I'd like to say I can't imagine something this asinine getting signed into law, but Good God, nothing in CA surprises me now.

See this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3155250&postcount=14) and yes they have been very active in trying to get AB962 & SB585 defeated.

halifax
10-05-2009, 6:16 PM
So if he gets what he wants, do we lose because he'll just sign everything?

Canute
10-05-2009, 6:58 PM
It scares the hell out of me that there are HUNDREDS of bills on the Governor's desk. HUNDREDS. That means hundreds of new laws.

I think the legislature needs longer vacations. Or pass a law that every new law has a 1/3/5 year sunset.

yoteassasin
10-05-2009, 7:30 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!! DIES SOMEONE ACTUALLY GET IT? thanks to bull puckey water regs this state has been sold to the devil. the LA basin NEEDS their OWN source of water NOW! a la de-sal plants. there was plenty of water for all the farmers in the valley and all the fish in the sea until water rights were sold to developers so they could build LA it is actually quite amazing that no one in nor cal drinks delta water it gets pumped 500 miles away so some one else can drink it

hoffmang
10-05-2009, 7:38 PM
Hrm... betting on the CA Legislature to screw this up and have the Governator terminate 500 bills... I'm betting they all get vetoed...

-Gene

natasha69
10-05-2009, 7:38 PM
So if he gets what he wants, do we lose because he'll just sign everything?

it doesn't say he'll sign everything. it says he'll veto everything unless they pull the bills and submit them later after they have delivered his water bill. then he'll decide what to veto and what to keep.

unusedusername
10-05-2009, 7:57 PM

I'm a NRA member... I've been working my a** off to get this thing vetoed. :chris:

Even if nobody else is doing anything I'll do what I can.

chunger
10-05-2009, 8:07 PM

We are the NRA pressure right now!

I've received requests sourced from the NRA through multiple channels to call, write, fax, and crank the noise up to 11. I'm sure the NRA is doing everything it can to get these bills vetoed, but they need a big show of grassroots opposition RIGHT NOW to back up their position.

bboyin4food
10-05-2009, 9:50 PM
although id LOVE to see him actually veto these two bills, and trust me.... ive been doing my part. i dont think hes going to go through with a veto on all bills on his desk.

if you remember a couple months back he did the same thing with the "California budget crisis" threatening to veto every bill until they came up with a budget. i seem to remember they didnt meet his deadline, but he never went through with the veto.

anyone remember hearing that?

cbn620
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Arnie is just bad news all around. This is ridiculous. If he really felt the way we do he'd have vetoed already. He shows a lack of principle, and so basically the rights and freedoms of the people in this state are contingent upon some political stink he's got going on the back and forth over the water issue. He tried this same type of crap back during the budget crisis. It's basically that he has nothing to lose since he will be out of office soon.

I have a feeling that yes, he would sign the bills into law if they reach a water agreement. That's the whole point here, if what is being rumored is true of course. Otherwise why wouldn't he simply go about business as usual and be vetoing and passing laws he disagrees and agrees with? If this article is at all true, and I do not put it past a politician, it sounds to me like the governor is yet again trying this tactic of using vetoes as a bartering tool to get what he wants done.

bigcalidave
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
He has no balls. He has failed as the big tough action hero governor people wanted. He can't even get this standoff thing right. You want it done arnie? Do it yourself ! Veto all their bs bills. 700 bills ? There can't really be 700 things to waste more money on when we are bankrupt and a huge percent of the state is unemployed. The entire state assembly and senate need to be fired ! They have failed to represent any of us ! Drastic times folks ! The abuse of power can never get better in this system.

winxp_man
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
just cracks me up the state is full of budget problems and here they are still thinking about gun laws that make no sense :rolleyes:

SKSer
10-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Amen, how can he realistically consider 700 bills in such a short time frame, that is scary. How can we expect that the 2 gun bills will actually get proper consideration. PLEASE JUST VETO!!!!

bulgron
10-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Amen, how can he realistically consider 700 bills in such a short time frame, that is scary. How can we expect that the 2 gun bills will actually get proper consideration. PLEASE JUST VETO!!!!

I'm sure he's (or, more likely, his staff) has considered all those bills and they already know exactly what they want to do with them. He just hasn't put pen to paper yet so as to get what he wants.

Arnie is a Hollywood politician. You maybe expected less drama?

hoffmang
10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
The last time he made the "pull them back or I'll veto them" threat, the Legislature pulled all but one bill that would honor vietnam veterans to try to call his bluff. The Governator vetoed it and told the legislature to send it back to him after they dealt with the priorities.

His threats aren't idle. Vetoing every bill would save the state a lot of money actually.

-Gene

7x57
10-06-2009, 12:14 AM
His threats aren't idle. Vetoing every bill would save the state a lot of money actually.

"Congress shall make no law."

7x57

hoffmang
10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
"Congress shall make no law."

You tempt me to get states to introduce an amendment...

-Gene

kf6tac
10-06-2009, 1:52 AM
Otherwise why wouldn't he simply go about business as usual and be vetoing and passing laws he disagrees and agrees with? If this article is at all true, and I do not put it past a politician, it sounds to me like the governor is yet again trying this tactic of using vetoes as a bartering tool to get what he wants done.

And why wouldn't he? If you're holding a hostage as a bargaining chip and have the choice of either killing the hostage right off the bat or keeping the hostage alive and then killing them after you get what you want, why would you ever choose to kill the hostage right off the bat?

artherd
10-06-2009, 2:55 AM
Arnie's done this before. Not a man I'd want to try and out-bluff.

Maestro Pistolero
10-06-2009, 8:11 AM
Vetoing everything would actually give him cover to veto the gun bills without much notice. HMMMMM?

Mitch
10-06-2009, 8:11 AM
Vetoing everything would actually give him cover to veto the gun bills without much notice. HMMMMM?

Why should he care? He's a lame duck.

Midian
10-06-2009, 9:49 AM
We are the NRA pressure right now!

I've received requests sourced from the NRA through multiple channels to call, write, fax, and crank the noise up to 11. I'm sure the NRA is doing everything it can to get these bills vetoed, but they need a big show of grassroots opposition RIGHT NOW to back up their position.

Excellent.

Nodda Duma
10-06-2009, 9:56 AM
Why should he care? He's a lame duck.

Why *shouldn't* he care, if he's a lame duck? Here's his chance to be an actual Republican instead of a RINO.

-Jason

Mitch
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Why *shouldn't* he care, if he's a lame duck? Here's his chance to be an actual Republican instead of a RINO.

Since the Republicans have been fielding nothing but gun grabbers for governor this last decade or two (and will again next year), I can't imagine why you would call Schwarzenegger a RINO.

packnrat
10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Areni is still a joke.
His staff has already told him what to sign and what to veto.
His handlers just want to take more water away from northern ca so it can be sent to la, the water bill he wants is just a rehash of the pipe line taki g water out of the Sacramento river north of sac, and dumping in back in 1/2 mile from the pumps taking water for la.
Thuse allowing salt water to go up stream into the delta, killing crop land.
This "debate" war has be ongoing for over 20 years, the democrats will not let it die.

loather
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
The water issue boils down to the fact that California is simply over-developed. A moratorium on new housing developments would be a good start.

natasha69
10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
The water issue boils down to the fact that California is simply over-developed. A moratorium on new housing developments would be a good start.

I agree, but not entirely. CA (along with the rest of the nation) is not putting money into viable infrastructure that we need to be competitive for the next 100 years.

Stimulus money for a bullet train between SF and LA? We have Southwest, we don't need a train. Maybe we do, but we need desalinisation plants so much more.

Hell, just a simple program of covering the aquaduct with oak trees or a canopy of some sort would save hundreds of millions of gallons of water over the course of the year (hello evaporation). Not a sexy project. Not an expensive project. But good results!!

I think he's already decided how he will vote on all these bills, he's just using the mass veto leverage because he knows how hard the legislature worked to get their current bills through. Getting all of them to agree on something is incredibly tough. So he's using that against them. But this thread is leaning dangerously close to a thread on "what does CA need to do to reform itself". We should not go that way...keep the focus on AB962.

hoffmang
10-06-2009, 1:07 PM

Ha!

Scarcity is almost always a price problem. Too many ag users can buy water way below it's market price. If water prices were allowed to fluctuate, development and AG would make the rational market choices necessary to grow what should be grown when water isn't fully abundant and people would decide that green lawns in LA aren't worth that price tag.

I love it when government tries to fix a crisis created by government...

-Gene

Vtgunner
10-06-2009, 2:29 PM
I hope the water canal that is being proposed does not go through. If it does there goes my favorite striper spot. I guess i will sacrifice it to get this stupid bill vetoed.

artherd
10-06-2009, 3:40 PM

Ah no, the water issue boils down to an artificial shortage created by government's own ineptitude.

natasha69
10-06-2009, 4:39 PM
looks like no action on any bill until this weekend.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/10/legislative-leaders-say-they-hope-for-a-water-deal-this-week.html

should someone host a down with AB962 party? i'll bring the guac.

5hundo
10-06-2009, 4:40 PM
See this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3155250&postcount=14) and yes they have been very active in trying to get AB962 & SB585 defeated.

:rolleyes:

I've been hearing that since the 1980s...

Whatever they're "doing" doesn't seem to be working...

hill billy
10-06-2009, 9:31 PM
So if he vetos will the Senate attempt to overturn the veto when they reconvene?

natasha69
10-06-2009, 9:40 PM
if they do, remember the vote was pretty tight, so to override a veto i believe they need 2/3's of teh vote, which they did not have in the initial vote. someone please correct my statement if it is innacurate.

Overrides. A vetoed bill is returned to the house of origin, where a vote may be taken to override the governor's veto; a two-thirds vote of both houses is required to override a veto.

robairto
10-06-2009, 9:48 PM
Crops in the dry regions of Ca. need to go the way of the dust from which they shouldn't be grown. Desalination is the reality of SoCal and they need to pay for it unlike the water abundant North state. Yes we need more dams but developments in arid areas are much like New Orleans. They are sinking under their own weight of excess. This is not a jab at any individuals but a reality that is playing out.

hoffmang
10-06-2009, 10:06 PM
So if he vetos will the Senate attempt to overturn the veto when they reconvene?

We lost by one vote. That's not at all enough for an override.

-Gene

obeygiant
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
:rolleyes:

I've been hearing that since the 1980s...

Whatever they're "doing" doesn't seem to be working...

Your comments speak more to your own inaction than the NRA's. Take a few and read through what the NRA has been doing here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=5905456)

The NRA has been on top of 962 and 585 since day one. Are you not a member of your local member's council? Do you not get ILA alerts?

The NRA is all over this, both at levels that are visible, and on the back end stuff actually up in Sacto. . .

You won't get much support for any anti-NRA rhetoric here, Calguns and the CGF works closely with the NRA in California, and we get stuff done.

and Wildhawker puts it pretty well here:

Just curious - is everyone who's concerned about the NRA involved in their MC? Volunteered at an NRA event? Talked to Paul Payne about what they can do for the cause?

$35 a year does not mean we get to do nothing and play armchair quarterback.

If you truly believe that the NRA is ineffective then why don't you volunteer your time and do something about it? You can sign up here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3163216&posted=1#post3163216)

hill billy
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
We lost by one vote. That's not at all enough for an override.

-Gene

:cool::cool:

AEC1
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I have spent lots of time in the arabian gulf states. They have no water shortage there... Desalination is a good thing.

ricochet
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
just cracks me up the state is full of budget problems and here they are still thinking about gun laws that make no sense :rolleyes:
The thing about 962 is that it will likely create an UNTAXED black market for ammo where the bad guys will get there ammo. I'm a computer engineer (the farthest from legal you might get). If a commoner like me can see that, how come our high priced professional legislatures can't ?

5hundo
10-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Your comments speak more to your own inaction than the NRA's. Take a few and read through what the NRA has been doing here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=5905456)

Ironically, when I click your link, this is exactly what it says:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

:D ;)

All joking aside, I hope they are successful. That's just a reality that I'm not used to after decades of living in this state...