PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to get the BRD

ShelbyGT500
10-05-2009, 2:37 PM
Hey guys, my dad and I have always wanted to get into the firearms hobby, till finally we decided our next project will be firearms (we've mostly been into mustangs, the fox variety). I was looking at AR-15s and what it takes for it to be legal in Cali and the best way would be a Bullet Button and some 10-rd mags right? now would it be better to piece together my own set? or go for something like this? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411537958

I would like my budget to stay under $750 if possible, I dont think I'll be putting more then a few hundred rounds per year

Thanks for any info

justin_5585
10-05-2009, 2:39 PM
Check out UCLA's Post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1165997#post1165997), it will cover all you need to know to get started. It's more fun to piece one together IMO, as you can build exactly what you want, rather than a carbon copy of 1,000 other peoples rifles.

BroncoBob
10-05-2009, 2:40 PM
Welcome to the BRD gang.

ShelbyGT500
10-05-2009, 2:45 PM
yup, I've been reading everything on here, lots of good info

technique
10-05-2009, 2:59 PM
or you can go cheaper and get better quality. Just hope they don't pick you an ARmalite or DPMS lower.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1908909&cat=161&

skkeeter
10-05-2009, 3:00 PM
If you want it to be a hobby, then I suggest you build your own. It's much more fun and you learn how it really works. There's so much info on them and how to build them, that it's much easier than most people think.

tomd1584
10-05-2009, 3:11 PM
or you can go cheaper and get better quality. Just hope they don't pick you an ARmalite or DPMS lower.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1908909&cat=161&

yea, except what happens when they do give you a banned lower? you're screwed.

technique
10-05-2009, 3:18 PM
yea, except what happens when they do give you a banned lower? you're screwed.

A buddy and I ordered 5 bargin bin rifles a year or two ago....they were all CMMG lowers. Luck of the draw I guess.

He would have to middle man it anyway...perhaps the middle man would swap lowers at no charge? Never know.

tomd1584
10-05-2009, 3:20 PM
A buddy and I ordered 5 bargin bin rifles a year or two ago....they were all CMMG lowers. Luck of the draw I guess.

He would have to middle man it anyway...perhaps the middle man would swap lowers at no charge? Never know.

wasnt saying you're wrong. its a good deal for someone like the OP in terms of pricing. I just figured it would be extra work than just ordering and having it shipped to his FFL.

ShelbyGT500
10-05-2009, 3:21 PM
Already read UCLAs post and all the links, the assembly vids, etc.

I not looking for anything flashy, something no frills and cheap

Heres what I had in mind so far

CMMG complete lower - $218
Rock River Arms Upper, BCG & CH - $475
Raddlock - $35
Rear BUIS - not sure whats good and cheap
Magpul PMAG 10/30 - $30

Later I might look into an EOtech, more mags and a sling

technique
10-05-2009, 3:22 PM

Magpul MBUS

hybridatsun350
10-05-2009, 3:22 PM
This is like going on to Craigslist personals and asking to get chlamydia. You're going to get what you ask for... :p

ShelbyGT500
10-05-2009, 3:27 PM
Magpul MBUS

thanks

This is like going on to Craigslist personals and asking to get chlamydia. You're going to get what you ask for... :p

haha

swerv512
10-05-2009, 4:07 PM
You have no idea what you're getting yourself into...
There is no cure for BRD! You will spend years of your life and money that you could have bought a house with feeding the disease better known as BRD. Read my sig line.... I'm not cured, but the physical cravings have disappeared. BUT the temptation lays dormant, waiting for an opportunity to out-wit me and send me back into the GLORIOUS HELL of BRD!!!
Tag this post... One day you will look back and say, "Dang, I shoulda listened..."

K1LLROI
10-05-2009, 5:58 PM
Have you looked into AKs...just saying...BRD digs DEEP into pockets..

be1498
10-05-2009, 6:04 PM
OP, you came to the correct place for information about OLLs in our great state...now prepare to spend all your uncommitted funds to feed your BRD!

ShelbyGT500
10-06-2009, 1:03 AM
no problems guys, aslong as I have fun doing it I dont mind, I've spent enough on mustangs, its time for a new hobby.

so what do you guys think of my build at the bottom of the first page?

jmf_tracy
10-06-2009, 1:10 AM
i would suggest getting a Stag rifle kit from the group buy over at AR15.com. i got a model 2T on the last group buy and i am happy with it. also call him and ask if he has a stag lower for the kit, last i knew he would sell a lower for $100 when you bought the kit. that would come out to around $709 for the whole rifle, but you have to assemble it yourself and you would need to buy a bullet button.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=636628

swerv512
10-06-2009, 5:16 AM
no problems guys, aslong as I have fun doing it I dont mind, I've spent enough on mustangs, its time for a new hobby.

so what do you guys think of my build at the bottom of the first page?

i think that's an excellent first build. while i have never had any experience with CMMG, i hear that they make a quality product. I have a couple RRA uppers and i couldnt be happier. i see little need to spend more money, when you can buy a quality product at those prices.... pMAG 10/30... of course!

fliparch
10-06-2009, 7:27 AM
Looks like you and your dad's got a plan already. I don't see anything else you'll need to shoot a bargain basement AR than what you've got there, maybe just ammo. Post us some pics and a range report when you finish your rifles.

If I'm a bettin' man...this wont be your first rifle or the only stuff that goes with it.

Welcome to Calguns. You are in a good place here.

justin_5585
10-06-2009, 7:32 AM
Already read UCLAs post and all the links, the assembly vids, etc.

I not looking for anything flashy, something no frills and cheap

Heres what I had in mind so far

CMMG complete lower - $218
Rock River Arms Upper, BCG & CH - $475
Raddlock - $35
Magpul PMAG 10/30 - $30

Later I might look into an EOtech, more mags and a sling

Not a bad budget build. What do you want the BUIS for? For when you get the Eotech? I only ask because that's another place to save money. Also, you can get a Bullet Button cheaper than the Raddlock by looking around, and you can buy a Magpul 30 round rebuild kit and make your own 10/30 for about half that shipped (given you said you like to work on projects, not have them already done when you get them). Just food for thought..

Flying Bones
10-06-2009, 7:37 AM
Your build looks good. I would say don't be tempted to spend any more money than you have to. One of two things will happen after you buy it.
1. You're satisfied, and spend a couple of days each year shooting cans with your AR.
2. You become infatuated with the EBR, and you will want a significantly "better" (for lack of a better term) for your next build.

Keeping the cost low, like the setup you've shown will get you in the door with money to spend on ammo.
Welcome to calguns, you're going to do fine, Based on the fact you actually read a bit, that leads me to think that you're the right type of person to have a good time with the BRD.

pontiacpratt
10-06-2009, 7:46 AM
Your looking for a budget build and want to put a EOtech in it... that will probably cost as much as the upper you put it on.
I got my CMMG upper from Marks armory for $549, its on sale right now for $499. Includes a Pro Mag flip rear sight.:D
The price is now $475.

justin_5585
10-06-2009, 9:17 AM
Your looking for a budget build and want to put a EOtech in it... that will probably cost as much as the upper you put it on.
I got my CMMG upper from Marks armory for $549, its on sale right now for $499. Includes a Pro Mag flip rear sight.:D

Big +1 here. Marks armory is great, and a calguns supporter.

ShelbyGT500
10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys, Im just looking to build an entry-level rifle. The EOtech wont come till waaay later once I get comfortable with the rifle, practice with irons and maybe decide if Im happy with the rifle and decide to spend on adding to it.

ShelbyGT500
10-06-2009, 8:06 PM
quick question, would any cleaning kit do or are some better then others?

also...hmmm I completely forgot what I was gonna say....