PDA

View Full Version : TRS or SA Custom?

FortyFiveCal
03-26-2005, 7:20 PM
I'm looking into getting a semi-custom 1911 and I've narrowed it down to two. The Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special and the Springfield Custom Carry 5" from their custom shop. I've shot the Baer at reeds indoor range, and it was everything I thought it would be. Unfortunately, I've never seen a custom carry in person, so I wouldn't know how it feels. Both guns retail for around the same price and are pretty similiar in appearance to one another. I know this is all personal preference, but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FortyFiveCal
03-26-2005, 7:20 PM
I'm looking into getting a semi-custom 1911 and I've narrowed it down to two. The Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special and the Springfield Custom Carry 5" from their custom shop. I've shot the Baer at reeds indoor range, and it was everything I thought it would be. Unfortunately, I've never seen a custom carry in person, so I wouldn't know how it feels. Both guns retail for around the same price and are pretty similiar in appearance to one another. I know this is all personal preference, but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

snwnme@realguns.com
03-26-2005, 8:53 PM
Welcome to Calguns 45Cal

Baers are made here. SAs are made elsewhere. I say Baer.

bear
03-26-2005, 9:19 PM
I have a Baer PII, almost the same as the TRS. Handled several TRSs.

They are pretty awesome guns. There's no way the Springfield is going to be "better".

I've not handled the S.A. Custom Carry, but looked at several TRPs and Trophy Match and the back end of the slide doesn't even line up with the back end of the frame. They all had, like, wavey lumps on the rear. And these are supposed to be some pretty high-end SAs. I was quite negatively impressed. I stopped 'lusting' after a TRP after that.

I think the Baer will hold retain its value better, and partly because it isn't forged in Brazil. Nothing against Brazil, per se, but you just don't need to go that far to get a decent 1911.

FortyFiveCal
03-26-2005, 9:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to discount what you guys said, but the Springfield Custom Shop produces their frames and slides here in the states while the regular production frames are imported from Brazil. I've handled a springfield professional and it's fit to finish is nothing short of impressive. I would say Springfields custom shop is comparable to Baers shop. I own a Springfield Loaded model, and I know what you mean bear. Not trying to discount what you guys said, I just wanted to set the record straight about springfields custom shop.

-hanko
03-27-2005, 5:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FortyFiveCal:
'm not trying to discount what you guys said, but the Springfield Custom Shop produces their frames and slides here in the states while the regular production frames are imported from Brazil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meaing they forge or cast in-house, or get them from Kimber like everybody else??

-hanko

gobabygo
03-27-2005, 8:12 AM
I don't know anything about either but I don't think SA TRPs and Trophy Match are anywhere near comparable to the Custom Shop stuff. The TRPs run under $1,000, the Trophy Match is a little more if price is an indication.

FortyFiveCal
03-27-2005, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -hanko:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FortyFiveCal:
'm not trying to discount what you guys said, but the Springfield Custom Shop produces their frames and slides here in the states while the regular production frames are imported from Brazil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meaing they forge or cast in-house, or get them from Kimber like everybody else??

-hanko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of their custom frames start out oversized and is custom fitted to the slide for a tight fit. Custom shop produces their own frames and slides in house in Geneseo Illinois. Not sure what you meant by getting it from kimber? S.A. doesn't buy anything from Kimber.

snwnme@realguns.com
03-27-2005, 4:46 PM
I think you want a Springfield.

Good choice.

bear
03-28-2005, 1:18 PM
Springfield Pro is good, but the frames and slides are forged in Brazil. They have enough "finishing" done here that they don't have to stamp them "FI Brazil" like they do the others. But Springfield makes no slides/frames.
Imports them all. The Pro is good, nonetheless.

CraigC
03-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I own a TRS, so I'm a little biased. I haven't handled the SA, but from what I've seen of the TRP Operator, there's quite a few problems. The TGO 2, on the other hand, is a snazzy looking gun, and it is also supposedly hand-built in the Custom Shop.

However, being that Baer is a small-shop vs a production house that SA is, it will probably hold value better.

One thing to consider is that the TRS has slim grip panels, vs what appears to be standard thickness on the SA. If you're hands are large, it's a toss-up, but if you've got smaller hands, the slim panels are really good.

Kruzr
03-29-2005, 1:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
Springfield Pro is good, but the frames and slides are forged in Brazil. They have enough "finishing" done here that they don't have to stamp them "FI Brazil" like they do the others. But Springfield makes no slides/frames.
Imports them all. The Pro is good, nonetheless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Pro's do not use the IMBEL Frames and slides. SA gets them someplace here is the states and machines them, unlike all the SA production models. The Pro is hand fit and unlike other Springfields. That being said, I've shot a few SA Pro's as well as all three of their TGO models. I own two TRS's and unless I found a great deal on a SA Pro, I'd go with a TRS every time.

GTKrockeTT
03-29-2005, 3:20 PM
don't forget that Baer uses Bearcoat to finish their firearms...and, we all should know about "The Story" by now.

Kruzr
03-29-2005, 5:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GTKrockeTT:
don't forget that Baer uses Bearcoat to finish their firearms...and, we all should know about "The Story" by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only a few Baer models have RMA's now famous finish........without the free thumbprints http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or missives from Bob Ford. It would be nice to help Bob retire and not support RMA.
The TRS comes in blue or hard chrome.

bear
03-31-2005, 9:29 AM
The Brazil thing about the Pro model was discussed extensively on the 1911forum.com

According to all accounts there, the Pro frames/slides are forged in Brazil. They are left unfinished, until they arrive here. ALL machining and finishing is done in the US.

The Springfield Armory factory rep on-line there would not confirm it, but she would not deny it either.

She would not say that they are forged in the US, when asked that specifically. Only that they are machined in the US.

Kruzr
03-31-2005, 3:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
The Brazil thing about the Pro model was discussed extensively on the 1911forum.com

According to all accounts there, the Pro frames/slides are forged in Brazil. They are left unfinished, until they arrive here. ALL machining and finishing is done in the US.

The Springfield Armory factory rep on-line there would not confirm it, but she would not deny it either.

She would not say that they are forged in the US, when asked that specifically. Only that they are machined in the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find the post by Deb but since LK McVay closes every thread when someone asks about Brazilian Frames on the Pro, I'm sure you are correct and the Pro, like all the rest of the SA's, are forged in Brazil.