View Full Version : Anyone prefer running irons?

10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I have ran my AR with a few different borrowed optics from buddies Aimpoint's,eotech's. The main reason I don't have a optic right now is because the cost factor, I plan on running a micro t-1 but I find my self really liking using my iron sites out to 100 yards "the furthest I shot my ar so far was 182 yards so far". Is there anyone else out there that like running irons? I am using a rear MBUS with the standard FSP and the MBUS has done really well and has held up extremely well especially for the price.

10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I honestly think optics are a waste of money, all I use is iron sights. I shoot 500 yards with my irons. I also find it easier to zero in iron sights. I believe most guy's get optics because that's what they see on TV.

10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I prefer irons on many different guns. I also prefer irons for brush hunting (up to 200 yards) I can hit the 600 yard gongs at Angeles with the OEM irons on my K31! Well, 75-80% of the time I can hit them. My last trip there, I got bored shooting the smallest swingers at the 300 yard line with irons off of rests. Too many people can't shoot without optics. I think that's sad, very sad.

10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I can shoot just fine with irons, but there is absolutely no way in hell they are better then high quality optics. The only way irons are preferable is if you can't afford quality optics.

Edit: I'll make an exception for those that do competitions with irons, they might actually enjoy that better then the equipment race that the open classes entail. Plus everyone should know how to use your BUIS

10-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I like iron sights, but not on my AR (Aimpoint for me). Give me a lever action 30-30 though, and I'd never even consider throwing optics on it.

10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Really when I think about it I have no use for a high end optic.

I don't go open land hunting, in fact I don't hunt. So high power scopes are not needed.

Red dot for quick target acquisition is out since I think the big ring on my dedicated sights is good enough for that. I don't see myself gaining anything since I hope I will never run into a scenario where I need to acquire multiple targets in the shortest time span possible.

So for now I'm running Iron and loving it. It might not get the tight groupings optics would, but its just fun.

10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't mind irons....I just prefer the ACOG.

10-05-2009, 1:00 PM
I find it fun to shoot with irons, I mostly shoot long range but when it comes to my AR I have a lot of fun with the irons. It's funny to see guys that run only optics and when the optic fails they don't even know how to tune iron's haha.

10-05-2009, 1:06 PM
Open sight marksmanship is very challenging so I use the Irons. However, I am nearsighted and would welcome optics if I can afford them. Right now none of my rifles wear a magnified optic.

10-05-2009, 1:06 PM
I don't know exactly....But the FS post on an AR is huge, and can completely cove a man sized target at certain distances.

A T-1 with 4MOA dot can nearly cover a torso at 200 yards.

10-05-2009, 1:13 PM
I got optics and good irons. I probably shoot 50 to 1 ratio with irons over optics. Maybe it's just me, but shooting with irons just feels WAY more gratifying than optics. Especially when making 1-1.5MOA holes at 100 yards. I think most people should learn to shoot good with irons first before they jump to optics. It will probably improve their overall shooting. I've been trying to use optics a little more now since I feel that I'm pretty decent with irons.

10-05-2009, 1:14 PM
I prefer my ACOG but take it off once and a while to shoot iron sights. Love my ACOG though

10-05-2009, 1:14 PM
I don't use my AR for long range pretty close in stuff, I have not had a chance to take it out very far I feel very confident that I can make hits at a good distance with the irons. I plan on running a T1 in the future but right now it's not a option.

10-05-2009, 1:36 PM
I honestly think optics are a waste of money, all I use is iron sights. I shoot 500 yards with my irons. I also find it easier to zero in iron sights. I believe most guy's get optics because that's what they see on TV.

I agree

10-05-2009, 1:46 PM
I use my M-44 to shoot 300 yards on a regular basis. I have used M1a out to 800 yards on irons but now that my eyes are getting old....I cant do that much anymore. :(

10-05-2009, 1:46 PM
I actually shoot more accurately with my iron sights from benchrest. I have my Eotech for fast target acquisition within 100 yards.

10-05-2009, 1:55 PM
I'm too cheap to spend money on optics, so yea, I guess you could say I prefer irons.

10-05-2009, 2:03 PM
I prefer irons sights on most, especially my AR. But for bolt action I prefer my glass.

10-05-2009, 2:04 PM
I prefer iron sites. (Fewer things to go wrong at the worst possible moment.)

10-05-2009, 2:17 PM

10-05-2009, 2:53 PM
Depends on the application for me. Irons are the most fun IMO, but I like scopes depending on the type of hunting, and even red dot sights for faster target acquisition.

I do personally believe it is mandatory that everyone should be sufficient with iron sights before moving on to optics. It is sad to see when people put various optics on without even knowing how to shoot with the basics.
Its like doing math or physics and homework. The person better be able to know how to do the problem and why it is done like that instead of only knowing how to input it in to the calculators program or formula.

10-05-2009, 2:55 PM
:cool: I am the black sheep I guess. Irons are boring for me and I of course shoot much better with optics. Actually most of the time high power scopes are boring as well. I prefer low powered or RDS.

10-05-2009, 3:02 PM
i'd rather be shooting irons.... problem is i need a nice spotting scope.
otherwise irons rocks!

10-05-2009, 3:20 PM
My rifles are now KISS, and I shoot with irons. I am not shooting anything for distance, basically up to 150yds. I am considering going to a BUIS rear sight in place of my carry handle A2 sight though.

10-05-2009, 3:23 PM
i have both on 3 built rifles (BUIS + optics, though 1 needs a magnifier for my 557.ar223). i dunno about having both for the finishing my next 3 builds (2 just waiting for stocks and buffer system, 1 waiting for upper).

i guess i can just move the 557 to my 18" Noveske since it's not bad shooting the Recce with just BUIS, and probably the best in the bunch I shoot with BUIS though with more expensive Federal match 77gr smk. :(

i dunno... i'm on the fence. i like optics (good ones though the supersniper 20x was my first and didn't want to indulge too much). i'd love to have an acog to experience what that is all about. i think 2 eotechs is enough (512 and 557) though i'd like to try an aimpoint one day too.

too many goodies to build "properly" and not enough money. my quest for more pistols is hampered by eBRs, and i'm not even on the ar10 platform or bolt action yet. :(

10-05-2009, 3:43 PM
i would like to use irons... but having to wear glasses it really makes hard to.

although i do use irons on my mosins. and i can usually hit what i'm aiming at up to 100yrds. haven't had a chance to go further...

Jonathan Doe
10-05-2009, 3:46 PM
I have a scope on my snier rifle. It is a bolt gun without built in iron sight. That is only rifle that I have a scope on. All my service rifles have just iron sights. My AR's and M-1A's shoot very well with rion sights.

One of the benefits of a scope is when your eyes are going bad. If you have to wear reading glasses, a scope can be very beneficial.

10-05-2009, 4:04 PM
i have an aimpoint ml2 for my ar15. note that i said "for" my ar15, not "on" it. i honestly can't stand it. maybe someday ill sell it. every rifle that has iron sights on it in my safe, has no optic. i really like the hi-mag scopes for rimfire shooting, but for a battle rifle, theyre overrated. maybe the acog is better, i havent tried it. but my budget just wont allow me to try something i "might kinda like," at that price point.
id say for folks new to shooting (as in less than 5 years into the sport,) take the time to shoot irons proficiently, before you get into optics.. unless you have a vision impairment that prevents it, in which case, have fun! these kids today, i tell ya.

Army GI
10-05-2009, 4:14 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

10-05-2009, 5:42 PM
i like using my RDS much better.

10-05-2009, 6:01 PM
i prefeer irons.... out of 80-something rifles I only own 3 scopes, 2 red dots, and 2 eotechs....

10-05-2009, 6:08 PM
i prefer both. in fact i prefer irons, optics, and dots.

thats why you need several ar's.

10-05-2009, 7:16 PM
If you are running an AR you should master iron sights before you consider optics. Since I purchased some prescription shooting glasses, iron sights have become a lot of fun to shoot with, I can get consistent hits at 300-400 yards with iron sites. Next time out I will try 500 yards

10-05-2009, 7:23 PM
While I have used both it just depends on the situation. But I do believe basic marksmanship skills start with being accurate with iron sights long before you should move onto any magnification device. Which I feel enough people don't concentrate on and get the fanciest thing they can afford. Now almost all my shooting now consists of irons, but I am presently broke as well.

10-05-2009, 7:42 PM
I just Love the looks on people's faces when we're down range patching/placing targets and they look over at mine. I'm not an expert shot, but when I shoot better with irons, than someone with optics, or RDS at the same distance there is something to be said.
I'm not anti-technology but what I've learned in life is that Murphy's Law is in full effect and you better have a backup. ;) For that, you'd better be damn proficient with your irons/BUIS.

10-05-2009, 8:15 PM
I like irons. I like being able to pick up any firearm and shoot it. Optics and RDS just a bonus.

10-05-2009, 8:26 PM
Even though I very much enjoy shooting my AR's with irons there is no comparison in fast target to target acquisition between irons and using a RDS.

10-05-2009, 9:05 PM
Before I got my Aimpoints, all I did was use iron sights on my ARs. But I agree with Technique; the typical AR front sight leaves little to be desired. But it's still fun.

But give me an Anschutz aperture sight system any day. That is a great set-up.

10-05-2009, 9:13 PM
irons are the way to go

10-05-2009, 9:17 PM
AR's and Levers Irons all the way.Rifles,gotta have a scope. I'm an AR purist though.

10-05-2009, 9:50 PM
I enjoy shooting with my irons more than my scope. The scope is a no brainer at close range so I use my irons instead to make it a little more challenging and fun.

10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I love irons. I don't need no stinking optics to shoot the distances I shoot.

10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Sights on Bolts, everything else is irons for me. I like the rugged and easy use.
But...if I had cash, i might be running red dots just because. I would own more guns too though...

10-06-2009, 6:01 AM
A lot of you will be singing a different tune as you get older and you're eyes start going south :/ Keep an open mind.

10-06-2009, 7:00 AM
9 out of 10 Somali Pirates say scopes are better.

10-06-2009, 7:09 AM
9 out of 10 Somali Pirates say scopes are better.

almost 10 out of 10 miss :D

10-06-2009, 7:19 AM
Each system has its uses. I love shooting irons, but I often use optics as well. I don't dismiss the usefulness of optics. I do agree tho that a good number of shooters buy into the kool aid of having the latest and greatest optic on their gun and forget the basics.

10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I like to run only irons on my M1A. I believe I have a NM front sights on my Loaded M1A and its pretty awesome out to basically all practical ranges. I can tag the farthest steel plates at Angeles with milsurp ammo with ease.

10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I love irons but theres nothing better than irons co-witnessing with my Eotech :p

10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Each system has its uses. I love shooting irons, but I often use optics as well. I don't dismiss the usefulness of optics. I do agree tho that a good number of shooters buy into the kool aid of having the latest and greatest optic on their gun and forget the basics.

You can't dismiss the usefulness of optics. If you think about it, thats why the Mil began issuing optics...to increase hit probability.

I ran my first AR with irons for a good while, I am good with irons. I can use them if I have to. My current rifle is SUPER light weight without the ACOG on it, its awesome!!! But I carry the extra burden of the ACOG because it is beneficial to me and I feel its worth id weight in gold.:)

10-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Please bring your irons out to a 3 gun match in Piru on the 3rd Sunday of the each month.

Watch the clock tic away while you're trying to find and hit targets.

They both have their place.

10-07-2009, 2:21 PM
There's no reason to limit yourself, work to become proficient with both sighting systems.

10-07-2009, 3:59 PM
I like shooting with irons and with optics. It's fun adjusting optics to make super long range shots, and then be able to consistantly hit in the same area after zeroing. Can't really do that with irons.

10-07-2009, 5:50 PM
For me, shooting with irons has been better than with scopes on both my AR-15 and M1A due to a lack of proper cheek weld. I never got a stock pad to go with the setup when I tried them out and shoot the scoped rifles so badly I switched back to the iron sights. It was just less hassle for me and I wanted to get good with the iron sights anyway.

With the iron sights you need to have a big enough sighting reference to really shoot consistantly. If I'm aiming at a nice round black bullseye it isn't too bad to get a nice group, but really small objects are just plain hard to pick out sometimes unless you have really good eyesight and good lighting.

10-07-2009, 5:51 PM
I love irons but theres nothing better than irons co-witnessing with my Eotech :p

Really? I have handled several rifles set up with Eotech/iron co-witness setups and I really dont dig it. I havent shot the rifles though, just looked through the sights. I prefer the ACOG, but then again I havent fired an AR with the co-witness setup, just dedicated irons or dedicated red dot.

Why exactly do you like it? Isnt the sight picture kind of...smaller since you have a red dot plus the front post to look at? It almost seems redunant do me. Someone please help me out with this, I am genuinely interested in why people like this, there must be a good reason.

10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I like both, some rifles have better iron sights the others, but you need too know how to use both. I prefer low power scoped for my rifles. 3x or 4x work fine out to 600 yrds. I just came back from angeles sighting in both iron and optics. I have a original 3x colt scope with adj from 1 to 500 yrds. works great. no problem hitting steel from 1 to 600 yrds. it was almost too easy:D

Steve O
10-08-2009, 12:20 AM
For the price that my friend spends to build one really taticool rifle with optics, I build 4 stock rifles... I don't get it!

I arm my entire family for the price of one tricked out AR with optics...

10-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I'll admit that I've gotten use to shooting with optics that I no longer like shooting with iron sights. At least for distances greater then 50 yards. I guess I'm getting old cuz its hard to see anything beyond that.

10-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Irons is all I got, so yeah I do prefer them! :D

10-08-2009, 6:41 AM
I like shooting with irons I only have a 1022 with a cheap scope on it when my daughter was little it helped her enjoy it better, she could see where she was hitting.