PDA

View Full Version : did I miss something about prosecution in Contra Costa County?

JY25
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I was at a gun store today and was told there were 6 prosecutions in Contra Costa county. They were concerning people removing there magazine from there bullet button equiped AR-15 to reload. I was told they got there guns taken and were in jail? This doesnt sound right to me? If anyone knows something about this, please post. Thanks.

ilbob
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I was at a gun store today and was told there were 6 prosecutions in Contra Costa county. They were concerning people removing there magazine from there bullet button equiped AR-15 to reload. I was told they got there guns taken and were in jail? This doesnt sound right to me? If anyone knows something about this, please post. Thanks.

The bolded in part is all you really need to know. Gun stores are great for hearing the lastest rumor, but often not so great about facts.

djleisure
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Are you sure you weren't at Retting in Culver City? Cuz that definitely sounds like something they would make up... Sounds like some good old fashioned gun store BS to me!

Group B
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
FUD

JY25
10-05-2009, 1:00 PM
Thanks , I thought it was BS.

JY25
10-05-2009, 1:01 PM
thanks, I thought it was BS

Ezekiel2000
10-05-2009, 1:09 PM
What store did this happen at?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-05-2009, 1:18 PM
What gun store?

B Strong
10-05-2009, 1:22 PM
Gun Store = Rumor Control Central.

RobG
10-05-2009, 3:23 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the OP's of these, "I heard in a gunstore," stories actually make them up to stir the hornets nest. Post THE NAME OF WHERE YOU HEARD IT or you are just spreading FUD yourself.

StevieC
10-05-2009, 3:37 PM
my buddy says there's been numerous AR and AK confiscations out here
I'm checking on it to see if it's true and the reason

Turbinator
10-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Without any real facts, I wouldn't believe what they are saying. There is a good lesson here though, keep your stuff configured legally and you won't have an issue.

Turby

JY25
10-05-2009, 9:48 PM
It was safer arms.

Fot
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
It was safer arms.

Safer arms is very anti OLL.

tenpercentfirearms
10-06-2009, 6:33 AM
Sounds like it is better to be Safer than sorry? bada bing!

reidnez
10-06-2009, 7:18 AM
Sounds like it is better to be Safer than sorry? bada bing!

:ban:

Flying Bones
10-06-2009, 7:25 AM
Safer arms is very anti OLL.

+1. These guys don't want anything to do with OLL. They haven't read up, they don't care to read up, so don't worry about what they say. I will say it's a decent place to shoot a pistol if you have the need.

calixt0
10-06-2009, 8:19 AM
I would be willing to be that this is one of those situations that have a smidgeon of truth in it. I would bet it started from someone reading the DoJ talk of the prince 50 mag locks (not bullet buttons) we going to be considered not legal (see link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=150568&highlight=prince+50). My bet or guess is that someone read it and then told a friend. that friend told someone else and someone finally said that doesn't sound right to me and somehow they added no its true heard of x# of people were arrested here in COCO county for this very thing (not understanding the difference between a screw down mag lock vs a bullet button type mag lock).

Again just my guess.

Darklyte27
10-06-2009, 8:35 AM
where the f are they?

rkt88edmo
10-06-2009, 8:48 AM
I don't see any smidgen of truth in your scenario.

If there are arrests/confiscations out there and any has any actual info, post it up :)

I would be willing to be that this is one of those situations that have a smidgeon of truth in it. I would bet it started from someone reading the DoJ talk of the prince 50 mag locks (not bullet buttons) we going to be considered not legal (see link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=150568&highlight=prince+50). My bet or guess is that someone read it and then told a friend. that friend told someone else and someone finally said that doesn't sound right to me and somehow they added no its true heard of x# of people were arrested here in COCO county for this very thing (not understanding the difference between a screw down mag lock vs a bullet button type mag lock).

Again just my guess.

Lyte-
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Removing the magazine to reload my 10 rounder is the only way I know how to reload the weapon....

If there is a better legal way to do so can someone enlighten me?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Removing the magazine to reload my 10 rounder is the only way I know how to reload the weapon....

If there is a better legal way to do so can someone enlighten me?

What type of firearm?

Does it have a Bullet Button mag lock or a Prince 50 mag lock?

Barney Gumble
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
With a bullet button it is legal to use a bullet or other tool to depress the release and remove the magazine. It is legal because the magazine can only be removed by using a tool (and the tip of a bullet qualifies as a tool). Unfortunately there are irrational FUD nuts out there who believe that anytime you have a magazine out of the rifle it's illegal.

What would not be legal is unscrewing the bullet button nut and dropping the magazine that way, because you now have a rifle where the magazine is detachable WITHOUT a tool.

Lyte-
10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
What type of firearm?

Does it have a Bullet Button mag lock or a Prince 50 mag lock?

I was being sarcastic :)

I was talking about an Ak/ AR with a BB and 10 round magazine...