View Full Version : Getting your site on search engines and SEO?

10-05-2009, 9:39 AM
Anyone have any tips or tricks for getting sites on search engines and getting good page rankings?

I just do a submit url to google/bing(aka MSN)/ODP. Then setup a sitemap in .txt and .xml, and ping it to ask.com. Then make sure I have my robots.txt file set with linking to my sitemap. Then I hit google webtools/yahoo mysite. and add the domain so I can see when the crawler hits it and what if any errors happen.

For page ranks it seems like if you have a really popular word in your domain or if your specialized enough you'll get ranked well. Also if you make changes or add content on a regular basis you seem to get ranked higher. Also getting links on other sites can help, like youtube comments(relavant videos), cnn comments etc.

What do you do?

10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Robots.txt is for blocking search engines from indexing certain directories. You shouldn't need to setup a sitemap either since the search engine will follow every link unless its blocked in robots.txt.

10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Also keep in mind that google sends out crawlers to ensure there are no errors on your site. If You have not passed all 4 test, google will drop your link into oblivion. So you need to pass W3c(xhtml), W3c(css), and 2 others, i cant remember which they are(I think tidy). And I believe these test both need to pass on explorer and firefox.

10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Meta tags and descriptions is most of what I do.