View Full Version : Shooting 50cal and Eye Protection

10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Today a buddy and I went to the Stockton Range to do a little sighting in for 2 rifles my new SPR and my AR10 on a new scope we also brought my bohica to try out on their 200 yard range they just reopened back up well to make the Story short While shooting my Bohica I was just a little too close to the scope and you can only imagine what happened :chris: (Scope Slapped) it hit me so hard it broke the high mount scope rings (see pictures)
and pushed the scope 1 inch back. Luckily i was wearing my eye protection and had no injuries not even the ring signature however my glasses were not as fortunate

so the lesson here always always always wear eye protection or you will look like this
click link

10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
dayum... good thing you are OK!

10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
yea your telling me i didnt even think it hit me that hard

Guns R Tools
10-04-2009, 11:05 PM
1st: It's good to hear you are okay.
2nd: got pic of eye protection?
3rd: what kind/brand of rings were those?

10-04-2009, 11:25 PM
1st: It's good to hear you are okay.
2nd: got pic of eye protection?
3rd: what kind/brand of rings were those?

Eye protect i think it is in the garbage or in my car i will look for it tomorrow its not shattered or anything just a circle scatch down the right side the scope had a rubber overmold on it or else it would of been worst

the rings were some cheap no name brand i had sitting around i think it was a walmart set from long time ago

10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Off topic, but how do you like that Bohica 50? I'm considering getting an upper in 50 BMG from them.

10-05-2009, 1:11 AM
Use good rings on the fifty. I've got Leupold PRW's on my .510 DTC right now and I don't like 'em. They're not sturdy enough...
And buy a good scope that'll have lots and lots of eye relief! I'm running a 16 power that has 4 inches of relief. Haven't had an issue with scope eye yet!

10-05-2009, 1:45 AM
...Maybe it was good thing he was using cheap rings. The rings gave out before his face did. :D

Sort of like those those crumple zones in an automobile. The impact would've been worse had he used quality rings!

Glad you're okay and were using adequate protection.

10-05-2009, 3:53 AM
+1... the brittle rings probably saved him from getting the "coon eye..."