PDA

View Full Version : Carrying gun in locked case..............

Kid Stanislaus
10-04-2009, 8:41 PM
If I go to an event in a public park with an unloaded gun in a locked brief case, how legal am I? Also, what if the ammo is in the briefcase as well?

Librarian
10-04-2009, 9:00 PM
If I go to an event in a public park with an unloaded gun in a locked brief case, how legal am I? Also, what if the ammo is in the briefcase as well?

So far as the state is concerned, that sounds legal. But you had better check with the local regs.

And it may matter which agency regulates the park.

dantodd
10-04-2009, 9:01 PM
This is the recommended alternative to open carry. As long as the brief case remains locked AND you are exempt from 12025 via 12026 12026.1 12026.2 12027 or 12027.1 (THIS (http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23863/catid/14/Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner) seems to be the favored case)

There are a lot of general exemptions in 12026.2 but you are not supposed to make any undue deviations on your trip from your valid origin to your valid destination. [per 12026.2(b)]

I personally like the exemptions of 12027 as they do not have a clause prohibiting unnecessary deviations from your route of travel.
12027(g) is for hunters and fishermen on their way to or from a hunting/fishing trip.
12027(b) covers any ffl employee as long as you are in the "course of the business" which would mean you'd want to have a sales brochure for the firearm you have in your briefcase. :)

Kid Stanislaus
10-05-2009, 4:13 PM
"Not to many years ago you could carry an unloaded gun just about anywhere and your wife or GF could carry the ammo. Then in a needed situation combine the two to ward off an assault.
Then the gangs caught wind, and then the legislature figured it out and wham - a new set of laws.
You can only carry your unloaded locked in a container gun to and from the range, hunting or a firearms event, and do not even stop off to get groceries even if it is along the same route."

True?

diginit
10-05-2009, 5:48 PM
Just carry it in a holster on your belt. UOC. A whole new set or rules apply. If it is a state park. Forget guns period. They are not allowed.

Decoligny
10-06-2009, 7:26 AM
"Not to many years ago you could carry an unloaded gun just about anywhere and your wife or GF could carry the ammo. Then in a needed situation combine the two to ward off an assault.
Then the gangs caught wind, and then the legislature figured it out and wham - a new set of laws.
You can only carry your unloaded locked in a container gun to and from the range, hunting or a firearms event, and do not even stop off to get groceries even if it is along the same route."

True?

Absolutely False. You can openly carry an unloaded gun pretty much anywhere in California (with certain exceptions, see my pamphlet in signature).