PDA

View Full Version : Krieger 16" Custom w/ Matching Bolt

pratchett
10-04-2009, 8:33 PM
What are your impressions of this Krieger 16" barrel (http://www.blackweaponsarmory.com/magento/index.php/bwa-ar15-featured-products/krieger-ar-15-cut-rifled-custom-match-barrel.html) with matching bolt?

Secondarily, if anyone can explain matching a bolt to a barrel, I'd appreciate it.

Barney Gumble
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

Krieger's cut-rifled barrels are among the best you can buy. Whether you can shoot well enough to see the difference is another matter. Most people cannot and $500+ is a lot of dough. You'd probably be fine with a WOA which is closer to $300. Do you NEED the Krieger? If you have to ask...

ar15barrels
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
It looks to have a carbine gas system.
I would PASS.

Barney Gumble
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I would PASS.

Good catch...

supermario
10-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I would PASS.

Just curious, but why would you pass a carbine gas length? I understand that middy and rifle are what an AR should suppose to use and its easier on the gun but what other reason, does it affect accuracy? I am just wondering becus i would like to build a carbine length "SPR" type of upper someday?
Thanks guys and sorry to jack this thread, just trying to learn more;)

ar15barrels
10-05-2009, 6:54 AM
Just curious, but why would you pass a carbine gas length? I understand that middy and rifle are what an AR should suppose to use and its easier on the gun but what other reason, does it affect accuracy? I am just wondering becus i would like to build a carbine length "SPR" type of upper someday?
Thanks guys and sorry to jack this thread, just trying to learn more;)

www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

Blacktail 8541
10-05-2009, 7:06 AM
A carbine gas system on a krieger barrel is a waste in my opinion. Here is why, a cut rifled barrel is a precision barrel for long range work where velocity is needed. A 16 in barrel gives up to much velocity.

Randell already posted other reasons against a carbine gas system.

reidnez
10-05-2009, 7:19 AM
A carbine gas system on a krieger barrel is a waste in my opinion. Here is why, a cut rifled barrel is a precision barrel for long range work where velocity is needed. A 16 in barrel gives up to much velocity.

Randell already posted other reasons against a carbine gas system.

:iagree:

The only good application I could see for this is someone who's trying to build a "match carbine" for competitions which had very strict rules; along the lines of Garand matches or service rifle matches. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any matches that are run that way.

There's nothing wrong with carbines when they are tuned correctly, plenty of members here and servicemen in harm's way like theirs just fine. BUT for a precision AR, you are much better off with a rifle gas system and a 20" or longer barrel.

adamsreeftank
10-05-2009, 8:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with carbines when they are tuned correctly, plenty of members here and servicemen in harm's way like theirs just fine. BUT for a precision AR, you are much better off with a rifle gas system and a 20" or longer barrel.

Remember those service member's carbines have 14.5 inch barrels, not 16 inches.

ar15barrels
10-05-2009, 9:05 AM
Remember those service member's carbines have 14.5 inch barrels, not 16 inches.

Which makes a significant difference in gas system timing.

The only correct carbine colt ever made was the xm177 and it's 12 3/4" cousins.

mds2004
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a Shilen blank turned by WOA that was only $325. Shilen is known to be a great blank for barrels. You can check it out here: http://global-tactical.com/16inchmidlengthreconbarrel556mminstock.aspx