PDA

View Full Version : School me on Ammo please

CFV
10-04-2009, 6:56 PM
Just getting into rifles and I'm jumping in head first. Building an AR pistol and rifle, and an opportunity for a hard to get AK popped up so I jumped on it. Now I'm looking at rifle ammo and I'm all confused. Corrosive, non-corrosive, steel, brass, magnetic, non-magnetic, some ranges allow, others don't. I read so many threads that my eyes are tired and I'm all confused. Someone enlighten me.

Thanks
Phil

Joe in Dublin
10-04-2009, 7:06 PM
The only stuff i shoot is brass, non corrosive, made is usa ammo. maybe a little pmc once and awhile. I would not shoot steel corrosive ammo. its hard on the gun. others will have the opposite opinion. its how much u can afford i guess...

paintballergb
10-04-2009, 7:09 PM
I don't really like getting corrosive because it is exactly how it sounds if you don't clean your rifle (which sometimes I put off doing :hide:). I also do not buy magnetic because most ranges......in fact all the ranges I have gone to do not allow magnetic. Other than that I buy as cheap as I can find.

Noobert
10-04-2009, 7:10 PM
so what you want in an AK is : FMJ (hollow points sometime don't feed), non-magnetic (range sometime don't like magnetic), brass "boxer primed" (if you ever reload, or want to sell your spent cases), and corrosive/non corrosive doesn't really matter, its an AK

CFV
10-04-2009, 7:12 PM
If boxed, would the ammo actually say magnetic or corrosive... or do you have to do research before you buy

Josh3239
10-04-2009, 7:59 PM
Not likely. Anything with a steel core is going to be magnetic, so just find out what has a steel core. Magnet is banned at a couple of outdoor ranges because of the ludicrous idea that it can start a fire. Corrosive may possibly be mentioned, but not likely. Clear your rifle well after use and you won't have much to worry about, though to be honest I don't put corrosive through my rifles. Corrosive stuff is generally old military surplus.

jonni
10-04-2009, 8:00 PM
I shoot yugo milsurp

Its corrosive but range friendly (ie non magnetic)

corrosive isnt a big deal if you clean the rifle immediately

Mssr. Eleganté
10-04-2009, 8:27 PM
Just getting into rifles and I'm jumping in head first. Building an AR pistol and rifle, and an opportunity for a hard to get AK popped up so I jumped on it. Now I'm looking at rifle ammo and I'm all confused. Corrosive, non-corrosive, steel, brass, magnetic, non-magnetic, some ranges allow, others don't. I read so many threads that my eyes are tired and I'm all confused. Someone enlighten me.

Thanks
Phil

Since you are in San Francisco, you don't need to worry about the whole magnetic/non-magnetic issue. Most Nor-Cal ranges don't care about it. The So-Cal ranges ban magnetic ammo because it really does start fires, but Chabot Gun Club and Richmond Rod and Gun Club have no problems with it. Just buy any of the current production stuff from Russia (Wolf, Bear, Tiger) and it will be non-corrosive and cheap.

Magnet is banned at a couple of outdoor ranges because of the ludicrous idea that it can start a fire.

Ludicrous you say?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=228680