PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 - I like my rear sight all the way forward

lowracer
10-04-2009, 5:11 PM
I hope I won't be ostracized but I like my rear sight as far forward on the top rail as I can get it. This way I can get the small circle in the rear sight to just encircle the tip of the front sight. With the sight all the way back I get a big circle and it's hard to center it. Am I making a faux pas or is this just a personal choice? It might be because I'm old and it's easier for my eyes to resolve things further away.

Acorn556
10-04-2009, 5:14 PM
it's your rifle. You're totally KILLING your sight picture so it's less accurate and little movements make bigger impacts but if thats how you want it do it. I just got use to it being in the rear and put the top of the FSP about middle of the rear large hole. You could try an MBUS and use the smaller size hole.

Flying Bones
10-04-2009, 5:34 PM
It really is going to kill your sight picture because of the decrease length, it's pistolish. Have you tried shooting with it to see the difference?
I'd would say take some comparison shots at your typical yardages and see what it does for your groups.

Fjold
10-04-2009, 5:39 PM
An aperature rear sight works best as close to the eye as you can get it. The idea is get the rear sight all the way back so that you see as little of it as possible. The eye will automatically try to center the front site in the middle of the rear aperature and it will give you the largest field of view of the target area.

lowracer
10-04-2009, 5:43 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. My rear sight has two apertures. One is comically large. With the sight all the way back it's huge. I'm trying to center the top of the front sight post in that large circle but it doesn't seem too precise. The other aperture is smaller, but still with the sight all the way back, there's too much judgement call in determining if the top of the front sight post is centered.

With the sight all the way forward, and the small aperture selected, I get some sort of optical interference pattern that puts a grey dot in the middle of the aperture, and I can center that grey dot on the top of the front sight post. There's no judgement involved. Just put the dot on the post.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

CSACANNONEER
10-04-2009, 5:45 PM
Dubs on a Range Rover, Hummer or other 4WD, cutting the wings off an airplane, rear aperature site as far forward as it will go..........get the picture. You'll be taking something useful and changing it so it won't work as it was intended to.

CSACANNONEER
10-04-2009, 5:46 PM
The big hole is used for faster target acquisition and the little hole is used for longer or more precise shooting.

Flying Bones
10-04-2009, 6:00 PM
Seriously, you may be trying too hard. Your eyes can make the adjustments for you. Help them out by keeping that aperature toward the rear.

lowracer
10-04-2009, 6:02 PM
Let me post a pic. This is in the rearmost position. It's possible I've got the damned thing on backwards as well. Bought parts and they did not come with any sort of instructions... Does the adjusting knob go on the right or the left?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2783/sightp.jpg

tomd1584
10-04-2009, 6:03 PM
its on correctly.

Acorn556
10-04-2009, 9:40 PM
it's also all the way BACK not forward. your good to go.

I know what you mean about the big and small holes. I usually just leave it on the big hole and focus on the target. You can look up some skills on target aquisition and sight alignment that might help you out also. Just gives you some skills to practice at the range or around the house when no one is around.

Nessal
10-04-2009, 9:50 PM
I don't see a problem here.

sevensix2x51
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
i think he is stating that the sight was moved for the photo.

the aperture is designed so you dont have to think about it. you just look thru it, at the front post, and fire. the hardest part for the OP is going to be to stop thinking about the ghost ring. its hard to center if youre consciously thinking about it... if youre trying to look through a pinhole when its a foot from your face, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage...

thefinger
10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
You're thinking wayyyyyy too hard about this.

The further back the rear sight is positioned, the better results you will get. Period.

ALSO... and this is important... The closer your eye is to the rear aperture, the better results you will get. That means that you WANT the little aperture to seem BIG when you look through it.

I know it seems like it would be less accurate since you can't find the center of the circle as easy, but what you aren't understanding is that the imperfections in sight picture that you are noticing when you're rear sight is in the far BACK position would be imperceptible if your eye was further from the aperture. The ability to fine tune your aiming is what makes having the rear sight all the way back important. Even if you can't get the sight picture "perfect" every time, it will still yield better results than a "seemingly" consistent sight picture with the sight FORWARD.

Test both ways and you will notice a huge difference.

lowracer
10-05-2009, 5:40 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will try it with the big aperture all the way back and "use the force" and see how it goes.

B Strong
10-05-2009, 9:13 AM
To each their own, but moving the sight forward reduces sight radius, and decreases accuracy.

reidnez
10-05-2009, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will try it with the big aperture all the way back and "use the force" and see how it goes.

Yep! It may not seem like it, but your eye will center the post for you. That is the beauty of peep sights, for precision shooting. You should focus on the front sight post, allowing both the target and the rear sight to blur. It seems odd at first, but it works.

I shoot with my nose on the charging handle, that gives me a reference point so I know that I have the same sight picture every time I sight in. YMMV, everyone shoots differently.

adamsreeftank
10-05-2009, 9:37 AM
Have you heard the expression Ghost Ring sight?

It is basically the same principal. The rear sight is not supposed to be in focus. Just a blurry ring surrounding your sight picture. As long as your eye is relatively centered on the blurry ring, you are doing it correctly. That gives you a wide field of view so you can see your target. Put the front sight in the bullseye and you are good.

Remember, these are combat sights, not target sights. The large aperature is for rapid shooting of close targets.

thebloodsonthewall
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
In basic training, we used the smaller aperture and put out nose on the charging handle. This way, your sight picture is always the same.

Jicko
10-05-2009, 12:26 PM

How many rounds have you shoot thru your AR?

Have you learn how to shoot an AR? If not, attend a class.

Or read a book? Or at least, watch a DVD.

hybridatsun350
10-05-2009, 1:54 PM
An aperature rear sight works best as close to the eye as you can get it. The idea is get the rear sight all the way back so that you see as little of it as possible. The eye will automatically try to center the front site in the middle of the rear aperature and it will give you the largest field of view of the target area.

What he said.

thefinger
10-05-2009, 6:02 PM
In basic training, we used the smaller aperture and put out nose on the charging handle. This way, your sight picture is always the same.

++11