PDA

View Full Version : My first AR Assembly - RRA/CMMG Middy

Capt Jack
10-04-2009, 1:03 PM
I call this an assembly but it was more of a "pin push" as I bought the lower already complete with a Bullet Button. :D
My next build will be from scratch (succumbing to BRD already, it is like the Borg Assimilation!). Gonna shoot the heck out of it like this before I bother with optics. Sorry about the pic quality but my fiance has the camera in Costa Rica at the moment, so cell cam only (at least I didn't get my toes in there!)

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/img144-2.jpg
Factory built RRA LAR-15 lower w. BB and Hogue Grip
CMMG 15.5" Mid-length Med Con (16" w/ flash hider), 1/7, CL
Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight
Pmag 10/20

I shot from the bench and standing at about 25 yards. I really just wanted to make sure it functioned properly and shot straight. My Daniel Defense Sight has a bit of play in it, but it still seemed to shoot okay. The screw that the aperture sits on moves about 1/8" side to side so they are sending me another one. I shot 140 rounds of Fed and PMC Bronze .223 FMJ without a single issue!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/img145.jpg

I'm going to wait to see what I like and don't like about it before buying anything else, but so far she is really sweet. Now I just need to figure out how to clean the crud out of the bolt carrier!:rolleyes:

Thanks to alot of folks here for educating me about CA legal self loading rifles! I'm gonna send in a few bucks to the CGF as a thank you. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone on CG sent in $10 to the CGF every time they bought a Black Rifle that was made possible by the work of CG and the CGF?

Just a thought...and let me know what you think :D

tomd1584
10-04-2009, 1:11 PM
thats a great, no frills rifle. I like your ideology. Shoot the thing, dont worry about buying all the latest and greatest bolt-ons. Become proficient with your irons.

Great looking build!

-TOm

EDIT: I have the DD rear sight and it had some play (about 1/8" side to side) just like you did, I called Joe @ DD and he sent me a new one. great customer service.

Capt Jack
10-04-2009, 1:16 PM
thats a great, no frills rifle. I like your ideology. Shoot the thing, dont worry about buying all the latest and greatest bolt-ons. Become proficient with your irons.

Great looking build!

-TOm

EDIT: I have the DD rear sight and it had some play (about 1/8" side to side) just like you did, I called Joe @ DD and he sent me a new one. great customer service.

Thanks Tom,

Joe is also the one who is sending me the replacement sight, so far DD seems to have great CS. Did your replacement fix the problem?

tomd1584
10-04-2009, 1:21 PM
Thanks Tom,

Joe is also the one who is sending me the replacement sight, so far DD seems to have great CS. Did your replacement fix the problem?

Sure did.

Flying Bones
10-04-2009, 5:46 PM
Sweet!
It's great to hear a guy say he's gonna shoot his irons for a bit. You'll have no regrets, and you'll appreciate the optics when you get them.

Who shot your paper boy in the elbow? LOL

Capt Jack
10-04-2009, 5:58 PM
Who shot your paper boy in the elbow? LOL

That was from the staple in the target stand, although an elbow shot would be pretty good...

Thanks for the reply.

reidnez
10-04-2009, 6:07 PM
That is an excellent, no-B.S. rifle you have there. :thumbsup:

I have come around to the "KISS" philosophy as well. My carbine used to wear rails, a light, VFG, tactical coffeemaker...now it only has the Aimpoint and weighs a tidy 6.5lbs loaded. I much prefer it.

DK9mm
10-04-2009, 6:37 PM
Nice build!

Capt Jack
10-05-2009, 6:38 PM
That is an excellent, no-B.S. rifle you have there. :thumbsup:

I have come around to the "KISS" philosophy as well. My carbine used to wear rails, a light, VFG, tactical coffeemaker...now it only has the Aimpoint and weighs a tidy 6.5lbs loaded. I much prefer it.

I had the same idea originally to trick it out with a dozen different gadgets but now that I have it like this, I really like the KISS approach. Besides, chances are that I won't be getting into a major firefight that would require me to have all the latest magpul stuff anytime soon and its not my primary HD weapon anyways (unless the zombies show up...:D)

Edit: Daniel Defense is a great company!
I just got my replacement DD rear sight and comparing the two, its obvious my first one was defective. The good part? Daniel Defense has great Customer Service! When I realized my rear sight was defective I simply emailed DD, stated that I had just bought it and was having problems and gave them my address. Their CS rep sent a replacement sight to me that showed up today and it seems like a new version as the lettering is much brighter! I then realized that the DD CS rep never asked for a CC # or even a copy of my invoice from my original purchase, just shipped me a sight and is sending a UPS return label.

A company that trusts people and tries to quickly fix their mistakes is golden in my book so hats off to them! Oh, and the DDA1.5 rear sight is very nice! Check it out if you are looking for a nice rear sight that only goes for about $10 more than a plastic MBUS!