PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to ship SKS Monte Carlo Stock and/or 20rnd Tapco Mag to CA

OldMac
10-04-2009, 9:51 AM
I just sold the Monte Carlo Stock and offered the 20 rnd tapco magazine as a bonus. The buyer is in CA. How can I know for sure if either or both are legal to ship?:confused:

loather
10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I just sold the Monte Carlo Stock and offered the 20 rnd tapco magazine as a bonus. The buyer is in CA. How can I know for sure if either or both are legal to ship?:confused:

A stock is a piece of wood/plastic. It's OK to ship as long as it's not connected to an evil black piece of metal known as a receiver (and even if it is connected, in some cases) :)

The magazine on the other hand may be covered by the 11+ ban. While it's OK to posess pre-ban high-caps in California, I *think* the law says that it's not OK to give/sell/trade/offer for sale/lend these items. I may very well be wrong about this so you will want to double-check the law.

ETA: I found the law and it appears to affirm what I stated above. 12020 (a)(2) PC (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12020-12040) is the section you're looking for.

If someone else's reading of this differs from mine please chime in.

FS00008
10-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes you can send the stock. Yes you can send the mag. Disassemble the mag and send it as a rebuild kit for parts. Yes, contrary to popular belief there are a few "SKS" type rifles that are legal with detachable magazines if there is no pistol grip and/or other evil features. They just can't say "SKS" on them. KEJ6GUY has a few great posts on this and I will try to find them and post links.

Shane916
10-04-2009, 10:41 AM
If someone else's reading of this differs from mine please chime in.

Certainly.

The stock is legal to ship.

Disassemble the magazine and it's legal to ship.

loather
10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Disassemble the magazine and it's legal to ship.

Thanks for the clarification.

OldMac
10-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Thats exactly what I needed to know. I don't think I will disassemble the mag. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. I suspect their laws are working if it makes people like me hesitant to ship at all due to the hassle. I will ship the stock without it.

FS00008
10-04-2009, 4:41 PM
It takes about a minute... the laws are BS. If the seller wants it, why not just disassemble? It's easy to do..