PDA

View Full Version : Out of state pistol owner

Plisk
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I have friend who lives in Virgina. He's 19 and owns several pistols who were given to him by his Father. According to him, it's the equivilent of Intra family transfer here in CA, but it doesn't require the paperwork and $19 fee like here. He wants to come visit next year and wants to bring his pistols. I'm curious if hes allowed to.

He knows he has to get 10 rounders for all of them, hes just curious if he himself is allowed to come into CA with them.

dantodd
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
You are right about the 10 rounders. In general he can bring in what he likes. If he has anything that might be considered an assault weapon they would have to be left behind as well.

here is the assault weapon law: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

MrClamperSir
10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
That's a little vague to say yes or no to. 19 is fine to be in possession of a pistol, it's the kind of pistol that can get him in trouble. Like dantodd says he has to watch out for assault weapon laws and short barrel shot guns too. They also have laws regarding threaded barrels (that might be consider and assault weapon). Make sure you let him know about transporting said pistols. Maybe make a list of what he plans on bringing here and you'll have a better chance at a yes or no answer.

Plisk
10-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Well, all the pistols he plans to bring are on the CA list. Glock 17, CZ-75B, XD45 Compact, are the ones I know he wants to bring. None of them have threaded barrels. He always transports his guns in their factory boxes with a cable lock on them.

Dr Rockso
10-04-2009, 1:01 AM
Well, all the pistols he plans to bring are on the CA list. Glock 17, CZ-75B, XD45 Compact, are the ones I know he wants to bring. None of them have threaded barrels. He always transports his guns in their factory boxes with a cable lock on them.
Just for clarification the law requires that the guns be transported in a secure locking container (some people confuse this to mean that a trigger or cable lock on the gun inside an unlocked container is okay). Make sure he knows the distinction.

I don't see any reason that he wouldn't be allowed to possess the handguns in CA while he's here.

Plisk
10-04-2009, 1:14 AM
Just for clarification the law requires that the guns be transported in a secure locking container (some people confuse this to mean that a trigger or cable lock on the gun inside an unlocked container is okay). Make sure he knows the distinction.

I don't see any reason that he wouldn't be allowed to possess the handguns in CA while he's here.

I'm sorry, I meant to say he transports his pistols inside their factory boxes, and the boxes are locked with cable locks.

MrClamperSir
10-04-2009, 9:59 AM

Then the issue at hand is, 19 and in possession of a pistol, correct? If that's the question, he's good to go.