PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button Magnetic Tool

Maxoblah
10-03-2009, 6:39 PM
I was at the Del Mar gun show today and a guy at a booth was giving out info on what he will be selling soon called a Mag-Magnet. It works in conjunction with a bullet button. It has a magnet inside so it sticks to the bullet button and you just press on it for the mag release. So pretty much you just press on the bullet button with your finger. This would be a lot easier instead of using a bullet or tool. My question, is this legal? It seems too good to be true.

THT
10-03-2009, 6:40 PM
Certainly doesn't sound like it.

tomd1584
10-03-2009, 6:44 PM
Its not legal in the way you described it.. it sounds similar to what Duraglock already sells "rapid release button" for when you're out of state or using a .22lr upper.

Think about it, it would essentially work like the standard mag release, which we all know that if using 'evil features' is a no-no.

-Tom

Maxoblah
10-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Think about it, it would essentially work like the standard mag release

-Tom

That's what I was thinking.

Flying Bones
10-03-2009, 7:24 PM
Sounds like an exact copy of the solar tactical button...

Cal-Irish
10-03-2009, 7:27 PM
It's very easy to rig up a contraption like that, but the line seems very fine to tread, I think Id use a tool but keep something on hand for out of state or such a time that the law no longer applies.

Cal-Irish
10-03-2009, 7:30 PM
The solar tac setup stays in place on the gun.

The OP is talking about some sort of two piece approach that most likely uses a magnetic field to actuate the release. The thinking being; without the use of a tool (another magnet) the mag is fixed.

tomd1584
10-03-2009, 7:39 PM

The OP is talking about some sort of two piece approach that most likely uses a magnetic field to actuate the release. The thinking being; without the use of a tool (another magnet) the mag is fixed.

i re-read his description and it sounds exactly like the solar tactical product.

Cal-Irish
10-03-2009, 7:44 PM
Actually it does...my bad.

shark92651
10-03-2009, 7:47 PM

How do you figure? Based on what he posted it just sounds like a magnet stuck on the end of the mag catch to me.

To the OP, of course these are only legal for use outside California or when there is a non-centerfire, semi-auto upper attached. You can't just plop these in and use them when you have evil features attached unless you want to mfg an AW. If you are just pushing something with your finger to drop the mag, that is NOT using a tool. If you are grabbing something in your fingers or using some other external device and pushing that thing into the magazine catch to drop the mag, then that is using a tool. It's as simple as that.

duraglock
10-04-2009, 8:05 PM
I was at the Del Mar show and a guy came by our booth with a lady and was checking out our grips. He asked about bullet buttons and I showed him our magnetic out of state conversion. He looked at the lady who looked at him and they said they were going to come out with a magnetic product that was different. I did not get to see it and he did not give me a business card. He came back latter and purchased an ar15 featureless grip wrap so who knows what is next.

Acorn556
10-04-2009, 8:35 PM
I think Solar Tactical needs to file a patent application and show the original idea date for it. That will put a stop to this guy and make Solar money every time someone wants to copy his idea.

Speaking of patent applications......duraglock you might want to get one filed for your grip. Really simple idea like that could be copied and filed w/o anyone knowing.

johnrunner89
10-04-2009, 8:47 PM
I been looking into Solar Tactical's rapid release tool. I plan on using it when I get a .22lr CMMG conversion kit. Is the pressure needed to push the magnet alot greater than a standard mag. release button or about the same? Oh and will it work on a standard bullet button (http://riflegear.com/p-58-bullet-button.aspx)? Thanks for any info.

If anyone has a video link (youtube or whatever it may be) of one being used to show the simplicity it would be great!

freakshow10mm
10-04-2009, 8:54 PM
Patents give your competition a leg up on R&D. Spending $10,000 on a patent doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment for something like that. It's an extremely limited market. Making $5/unit profit even will take 2,000 units to pay off the patent and that's essentially breaking even. If you have the money, the legal backing to protect it, plus are profitable that you can pay off the patent fees in a year or two, then it might be worth it.

Three months from now something better will come by. People have a run on mag locks and the innovation happens too quickly to bother with patents. Besides, there's a lot of copied designs for certain mag locks out there. Look at the Saiga 12 locks PRK Arms designed and is now being copied by numerous people.

tomd1584
10-04-2009, 8:57 PM
I been looking into Solar Tactical's rapid release tool. I plan on using it when I get a .22lr CMMG conversion kit. Is the pressure needed to push the magnet alot greater than a standard mag. release button or about the same? Oh and will it work on a standard bullet button (http://riflegear.com/p-58-bullet-button.aspx)? Thanks for any info.

If anyone has a video link (youtube or whatever it may be) of one being used to show the simplicity it would be great!

1. its the same pressure as a normal mag release.

2. it works on a standard bullet button. I use this exact setup when I go to my house in AZ.

-Tom

johnrunner89
10-04-2009, 9:48 PM
1. its the same pressure as a normal mag release.

2. it works on a standard bullet button. I use this exact setup when I go to my house in AZ.

-Tom

Thanks!

duraglock
10-05-2009, 5:08 PM
Whats the website on the card it comes up blurry.

tenpercentfirearms
10-06-2009, 5:36 AM
If the tool stays attached to the firearm, it isn't a tool anymore.

Flying Bones
10-06-2009, 6:27 AM
Patents give your competition a leg up on R&D. Spending $10,000 on a patent doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment for something like that. It's an extremely limited market. Making $5/unit profit even will take 2,000 units to pay off the patent and that's essentially breaking even. If you have the money, the legal backing to protect it, plus are profitable that you can pay off the patent fees in a year or two, then it might be worth it.

Three months from now something better will come by. People have a run on mag locks and the innovation happens too quickly to bother with patents. Besides, there's a lot of copied designs for certain mag locks out there. Look at the Saiga 12 locks PRK Arms designed and is now being copied by numerous people.

All very true. All you can do is hope to make a few bucks before you get on your way.

shark92651
10-06-2009, 9:06 AM
I think Solar Tactical needs to file a patent application and show the original idea date for it. That will put a stop to this guy and make Solar money every time someone wants to copy his idea.

Speaking of patent applications......duraglock you might want to get one filed for your grip. Really simple idea like that could be copied and filed w/o anyone knowing.

I bought some small rare-earth magnets and stuck one inside my Bullet Button about 1.5 years ago. Maybe I should get a patent ;)

It's a cool idea but not a unique one.

djleisure
10-06-2009, 9:10 AM
The nice thing about the Solar Tactical version is it fits perfectly in a spare hole in the MIAD 3-bullet core. Mine sits in there at the ready for out-of-state use (or zombie attack.)

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/17057/2613465330104322648S600x600Q85.jpg

asheron2
10-06-2009, 7:20 PM
think the design is like this............the magnet is not inserted into the gun, just brought near the release to actuate another magnet inside..........would be pretty neat if you wore gloves when you were shooting and just had it stitched in.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/asheron2/Button.jpg

leelaw
10-06-2009, 7:58 PM
think the design is like this............the magnet is not inserted into the gun, just brought near the release to actuate another magnet inside..........would be pretty neat if you wore gloves when you were shooting and just had it stitched in.

I'm gonna doubt that a magnet that size has the ability to repel another magnet with the force required to release the magazine catch, and that what is being sold is a magnet that attaches to the magazine release bolt and operates like a normal magazine release button.

asheron2
10-06-2009, 9:09 PM
What about a weaker spring?? the way the mag licks in it is "not" under any force to be opened............of course there is still a small miniscule amount.

As for the ability of this weaker spring to hold the mag in under abuse..........yeah, i have my doubts too.

Or maybe the magnet even moves a pin internally, or allows a cam to actuate.........lots of ways this could work.