View Full Version : Lytle Creek Fire

Purple K
10-03-2009, 6:32 PM
Fire broke out today near Lytle Creek at about 2pm. It quickly grew to more than 500 acres by 5pm

10-03-2009, 6:34 PM
Yep and all the freakin smoke is heading too and in Big Bear right now.

10-03-2009, 7:01 PM
Friend and I were shooting there this afternoon. My buddies rifle scope rings decided to strip out so we left earlier than planned. It was probably 1:45 when we packed up and left. Headed out, went to bass pro shops to make an exchange. We were inside no more than 30 minutes. Came outside, Huge plume of smoke coming from Lytle Creek.

The range was full when we left...

Purple K
10-03-2009, 8:36 PM
1500 acres at 9pm

10-03-2009, 9:59 PM
wtf.... was the fire caused by someone at the range or?

10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for:

Applewhite Campground in Lytle Creek
Happy Jack area of Lytle Creek
Swarthout Canyon Rd area of Lone Pine Canyon
Both sides of State Route 138 from Interstate 15 to Hess Road
Road Closures:

Lytle Creek Rd is closed north of Sierra Ave
Lone Pine Canyon Rd is closed at State Route 138
State Route 138 is closed from I-15 to State Route 2.
Human Shelter: Eisenhower High School at 1321 N. Lilac at Baseline, Rialto, CA in the multi-purpose room

10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I belong to WEGC..

Does anyone know if it's okay? I'd be crying if anything happens to it.. finally got my wife to enjoy shooting with me!

10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
From Twiiter: Sheep Fire - all Wrightwood residents are now under a mandatory evacuation - evacuation center at Victorville Fairgrounds 14800 7th Street

10-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Praying for all the folks in the area.. God Bless

10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
any idea how it started? then again this being Kalifornia the rest of the state has to burn.

10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
All we know is that it's 'under investigation.' I would assume that this fire was not started by anything firearm related.

10-04-2009, 4:37 PM
Burro Canyon is up now!!

10-04-2009, 8:47 PM
Burro Canyon is up now!!

...up in flames??

Black Majik
10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
...up in flames??

:rofl: Harsh, but hilarious.

10-05-2009, 12:19 AM
hope everyone will be ok in the area. it was super windy, so can be anything

10-05-2009, 9:14 AM
:rofl: Harsh, but hilarious.

As long as there's West End, I can't see myself going to any outdoor range. IMHO, nothing beats it.

rubber duckie
10-05-2009, 2:36 PM

As long as there's West End, I can't see myself going to any outdoor range. IMHO, nothing beats it.

i hear ya, a friend and a fellow member got me hooked on this place. well worth the membership.

10-05-2009, 3:12 PM
i hear ya, a friend and a fellow member got me hooked on this place. well worth the membership.

big jon
10-05-2009, 3:17 PM
It was about 5 miles from me as the crow flys, the wind for the most parts goes to the north east pushing the fire back onto itself. all the local stores have folks in campers and cars full of peploe sleeping. This has inspired me to join the Horse placement group we have in town.

10-05-2009, 4:54 PM
It makes me reflect on values..

Here I am worried about my favorite shooting range.. while there's people out there worried about their homes and lives.

10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Is Sierra Rd still closed to public?

10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
The Forest service is evaluating this position and may be lifting this later on today. Access roads used to fight the fire are the prime reason for closing Lytle Creek area to everyone except residents and fire crews and equipment are still on the roadways.

Crews are continuing to patrol, mop-up and construct fire line at this time. Area residents will continue to see some smoke and occasional flare-ups from within the fire perimeter. Interior unburned vegetation will catch on fire occasionally and produce some smoke columns, but no fire spread to the perimeter of the fire has been noted. Infrared mapping conducted by aircraft have assisted firefighters on the ground in targeting and extinguishing these heat sources.

Eight firefighters have been injured on the Sheep Fire but no fatalities have been reported. The Sheep Fire is 75% contained. Full containment of the fire is expected on October 10th. When referring to a fire, the difference between a fire being contained or controlled can be unclear. When a fire is contained a fuel break has been completed around the fire manually by hand line, and/or mechanically by dozer line. These breaks may also include the use of natural barriers such as rocky outcroppings. When a fire is controlled, it has been extinguished completely, including hot spots. When a fire has been controlled, the fireline is secure enough so that flare-ups within the fire perimeter will not break through the line. Therefore, just because a line is contained does not mean that the fire is controlled.

If members have updated information, you are encouraged to post this information for others at the forum. www.wegc.org/forum

The WEGC Team.

If you are receiving this notification in error or wish to be removed from this list, you can change your profile at the forum www.wegc.org/forum or respond to this email and request to be removed from the list. This is a service to the WEGC members and registered members of the website www.wegc.org