PDA

View Full Version : Is hunting a protected activity.

dantodd
10-03-2009, 4:36 PM
I sort of tossed out that I didn't think hunting would be considered a protected activity under the second amendment in another thread. I would be interested to know what others think.

hoffmang
10-03-2009, 4:43 PM
Scalia strongly implied that the right to arms certainly exists to enable lawful purpose such as hunting. Whether that keeps the right to hunt itself is a bit open ended, but the 2A does inform it.

Guns are used to hunt, for self-defense, to commit crimes, for sporting activities, and to perform military duties. The Second Amendment plainly does not protect the right to use a gun to rob a bank; it is equally clear that it does encompass the right to use weapons for certain military purposes. Whether it also protects the right to possess and use guns for nonmilitary purposes like hunting and personal self-defense is the question presented by this case. The text of the Amendment, its history, and our decision in United States v. Miller, 307 U. S. 174 (1939), provide a clear answer to that question.

The parallels between the Second Amendment and these state declarations, and the Second Amendment’s omission of any statement of purpose related to the right to use firearms for hunting or personal self-defense, is especially striking in light of the fact that the Declarations of Rights of Pennsylvania and Vermont did expressly protect such civilian uses at the time. Article XIII of Pennsylvania’s 1776 Declaration of Rights announced that “the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state,” 1 Schwartz 266 (emphasis added); 43 of the Declaration assured that “the inhabitants of this state shall have the liberty to fowl and hunt in seasonable times on the lands they hold, and on all other lands therein not inclosed,” id., at 274. And Article XV of the 1777 Vermont Declaration of Rights guaranteed “[t]hat the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State.” Id., at 324 (emphasis added).

-Gene

dwa
10-03-2009, 4:51 PM
in my interpretation of the 2a it does not address hunting in any way. its about balance of power and rights of a free man (person)