PDA

View Full Version : AK pistol legality questions

CaliBoundAR15
10-03-2009, 1:43 PM
Ok, so I have seen an influx of AR and AK pistols popping up on CA gun boards lately and I was thinking about getting one. After some research though, I am wondering how people are getting around 12020(c)(2)(C) PC?? It pretty much describes them doesn't it? (Pistols made from rifles) What am I missing here.... :confused:

Can somebody help me to understand the legality of these things? Tks!

EBR Works
10-03-2009, 1:54 PM
Legal AK/AR pistols are built on virgin receivers that have never been configured as rifles.

CaliBoundAR15
10-03-2009, 3:34 PM
Legal AK/AR pistols are built on virgin receivers that have never been configured as rifles.

Ok, that makes sense. But what about home builds then. Would they fall under the definition of a "zipgun"? Also, do they have to always remain a single shot after being DROS'ed or built? Thanks for your help in explaining this. I want to make sure I fully understand this before I proceed.

JagerTroop
10-03-2009, 3:45 PM
homebuilds don't need to be dros'd (registered), but must be single shot, at least at first. It is recommended that you document the single shot status, then you can convert to semi auto. Remember to comply with Ca. laws regarding assault weapons.

hoffmang
10-03-2009, 4:53 PM
Ok, that makes sense. But what about home builds then. Would they fall under the definition of a "zipgun"? Also, do they have to always remain a single shot after being DROS'ed or built? Thanks for your help in explaining this. I want to make sure I fully understand this before I proceed.

1. Firearms that follow the pattern of firearms in commerce are not zipguns.

2. Once a pistol is in private hands, it can be reconfigured pretty freely as long as it doesn't become an AW. As such, AK pistols drosed as single shot almost always end up as 10 round fixed magazine semiautos.

-Gene

yellowfin
10-03-2009, 5:50 PM
Be prepared to shell out some serious semolians as Krinkov kits aren't cheap.

xxG3xx
10-04-2009, 8:56 AM
I remember when M92 kits were $500....I wish I would of bought one when I had the chance...and you know what my excuse was? I didn't know how to build one....Yea that was lame!