PDA

View Full Version : Ca legal G-3 clone?

09-18-2005, 5:51 PM
Anyone built one from a kit or know
if any Caliban legal G-3 clones exists?

Charliegone
09-18-2005, 6:12 PM
They can be legal as long as they have no pistol grip or no detachable magazine. If you buy a kit make sure you convert it to SA, especially the trigger group. Also as long as they are not marked hk-91. hk sr9's or 41's or 21's are completely legal as long as they follow sb23 standards.

Charliegone
09-18-2005, 6:53 PM
Well there is a cetme kit for sale on gun broker. I think its around 300 to 400ish. Also, cetme trigger parts and bolt carrier (I think) are not compatible with the g3...

pogo
09-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Even when you take the grip off, all of the HKs I've seen have a metal frame piece projection that the pistol grip screws onto which could be considered a permanent pistol grip.

Short of cutting the grip frame off, a pinned 10 rd mag seems like the only legal option to me.

50 Freak
09-19-2005, 1:38 AM
Thats why you have to cut off the metal pistol grip frame.

imported_Skammy
09-19-2005, 2:37 AM
make a thumb grip.. look on Robinson Armament's webpage under the CA legal M96.. There are two letters one has a DOJ response stating that a grip where only the thumb can grasp the device isn't a pistol grip http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Richard
09-19-2005, 7:26 AM
Originally posted by Charliegone:
They can be legal as long as they have no pistol grip or no detachable magazine. If you buy a kit make sure you convert it to SA, especially the trigger group. Also as long as they are not marked hk-91. hk sr9's or 41's or 21's are completely legal as long as they follow sb23 standards.
You only need to remove the pistol grip,by that I mean saw off the grip frame also.....and you are allowed to have the detachable magazine...as far as the models listed, the HK91 is the only one that's restricted due to the 1989 rob-roose ban....try somthing like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/ro1964/stock1.gif

pogo
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:
Thats why you have to cut off the metal pistol grip frame.

Understood 50 Freak, just seems awfully drastic and permanent. If you ever move out of the state you would need to buy an new trigger group to restore it, but I guess it's the only game in Cal town if you want a hi-cap G3 type. Then again maybe a good welder could reattach the grip.

imported_Skammy
09-19-2005, 1:07 PM
DOJ letter quote

"11 CCR 978.20 (d) defines a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
weapon to mean, "...a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand
(between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the
trigger while firing."

A "pistol style graps" allows the fingers to wrap firmly around the grip. The alternative
Barrett 82A1 "thumb hold" exemplar cannot be considered an assault weapon pistol grip
because the device allows only for the thumb and not all fingers, to grasp the device."

50 Freak
09-19-2005, 4:29 PM
Why weld, don't even freaking shed a tear for cutting off the trigger frame. A new one with the "shelf pinning" (you need this done) will only cost you $40 something bucks.

So if you move out, $40 bucks and you have an un-neutered G-3.

Charliegone
09-19-2005, 6:30 PM
Hey 50 hows the build going? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Trying it myself, but its hard to find an psg or msg90 heavy barrel.

09-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies.Now I need to
develop a parts list.

50 Freak
09-20-2005, 9:36 AM
I didn't build anything. Hell, I have a problems with just legos. If I were to build a gun, I'd probably reverse the barrel so that it would shoot me in the head everytime I pulled the trigger.

I have things built to my specifications or buy them complete.

In this particular case, I bought a neutered CETME. Was in excellent condition. Just wish I had time to shoot the darn thing.

Charliegone
09-20-2005, 3:43 PM
Well, I tried or rather did modify the g3 trigger pack to semi-auto. I really wasn't hard! Took me a while though to figure out how the trigger mech's work.

Hehe legos, can you believe I still have some? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif