PDA

View Full Version : ? P.P.T. From out of state father to California resident son.

Bigugly
10-03-2009, 8:27 AM
? P.P.T. From out of state father to California resident son.

I know this has been brought up before many times but I am looking for some definite answers to a couple questions.

If my father purchases a non California approved handgun in Colorado and then sends it from a Colorado FFL to a California FFL with a letter stating that it is a gift, that there is only the ten day thing and it is not subject to the CA approved list?

Is there a limit to how many can be sent at one time? Or within a certain time period?

Depending on the answers, he is willing to purchase a few items that I am looking for when I visit him later this month.

Personally there is only one S&W that I am looking for. But if I can pick a couple others that will help pay for my trip? Hmmm, what would I look for?

Mitch
10-03-2009, 8:39 AM
Your father needs to be careful. The first question on the Form 4473 asks whether the buyer is the "actual buyer" of the firearm, whatever that really means.

cal3gunner
10-03-2009, 8:44 AM

Bigugly
10-03-2009, 8:46 AM
I did not think about that. He would actually hand over his cash and have it put in his name, and perhaps hold it for a month or so. How about that?

Bigugly
10-03-2009, 8:51 AM
I would like to know the answer to this as well in regards to gifts. The father in this case would be the actual buyer if he uses his own money and gives the gun away as a gift......correct???????

I could see where it would not be a gift if the son sent the money and the father just bought the gun and turned around and shipped it.

Between father and son, do you have to do a PPT at a FFL or can you just send in a form to the DOJ???

My understanding is that any interstate transfer needs to go through an FFL.

Mitch
10-03-2009, 8:56 AM
I did not think about that. He would actually hand over his cash and have it put in his name, and perhaps hold it for a month or so. How about that?

I don't know. Some of the legal minds around here might have a better idea.

Buying firearms as gifts is perfectly legal. In fact, Sarah Brady was caught buying a rifle for her son, which simply caused her a little embarrassment (you'd think an anti-gun crusader could think of a more appropriate gift), but no legal problems. But it's probably iffy to do it repeatedly, to show a pattern.

Bigugly
10-03-2009, 9:20 AM
I don't know. Some of the legal minds around here might have a better idea.

Buying firearms as gifts is perfectly legal. In fact, Sarah Brady was caught buying a rifle for her son, which simply caused her a little embarrassment (you'd think an anti-gun crusader could think of a more appropriate gift), but no legal problems. But it's probably iffy to do it repeatedly, to show a pattern.

I know this is a gray area, but this would be a one time deal. Never before, never again. just looking at three items I can not get here.

Michael

Librarian
10-03-2009, 9:34 AM
Answered over in Handguns - why post the same question in 2 forums?

Bigugly
10-03-2009, 9:48 AM
Answered over in Handguns - why post the same question in 2 forums?

Because I figured that I might get different answers. As I seem to have.

Michael

Librarian
10-03-2009, 6:02 PM
Because I figured that I might get different answers. As I seem to have.

Michael

Since you asked a legal question, wouldn't you prefer the RIGHT answer? (Which you have received.)