PDA

View Full Version : 1 Gun per 30 Day Limit

gopher hunter
10-03-2009, 4:41 AM
Hi,

I have a question about the 1 gun per 30 days. Does this apply to only handguns or to both hand guns and long guns?

Thanks,
George Stewart
Paradise, CA

halifax
10-03-2009, 4:59 AM
Handguns only with the exception of person-to-person transfers (PPT) which are done face-to-face between CA residents through an FFL.

gopher hunter
10-03-2009, 5:21 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I am getting a pistol out of "jail" Thursday, I have a Saiga 308 on layaway, and want to get an OLL for my wife's AR build I'm doing.

Thanks again,
George

510shooter510
10-03-2009, 9:35 AM
Wait, you mean I can buy more than one pistol a month if they were all PPT done at a local FFL???

tenpercentfirearms
10-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Wait, you mean I can buy more than one pistol a month if they were all PPT done at a local FFL???

No. You can also be exempt at a non-local FFL as well. I can drive to Sacramento and PPT all I want and they are still exempt. There is no mileage limitation. ;)

To the OP, DROS as many long guns as you want as often as you want. The more the merrier.

halifax
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes, but multiple handgun purchases within five consecutive business days from the same dealer are reported to the ATF. I don't really know what the ATF does with that info.

tenpercentfirearms
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes, but multiple handgun purchases within five consecutive business days from the same dealer are reported to the ATF. I don't really know what the ATF does with that info.

They go check up on you to see if you are a straw purchaser.

510shooter510
10-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow. I have actually passed up guns for sale before because I thought I was limited to 1 a month here. That sucks

Librarian
10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Wow. I have actually passed up guns for sale before because I thought I was limited to 1 a month here. That sucks
Also depends on where 'here' is. City of LA has a 1 in 30 restriction that also applies to PPT.

kemasa
10-03-2009, 1:27 PM
Also, if you get a C&R FFL and a CA DOJ COE, then you exempt from the one handgun per 30 days, even for non-C&R handguns.

biorunner
12-10-2009, 4:06 PM
I'm trying to get this clarified myself. So If I just took possession of a brand new hand gun on the 1st, and now I want to buy a used hand gun from a private party, do I have to wait until the 1st of next month or does this 30 days only count for new guns? Also, when exactly does the 30 day period begin? When I pay for the gun or when I take possession of it? I live in San Diego County.

IrishPirate
12-10-2009, 4:09 PM
only new handguns. (and used ones owned by the store you're buying from). This will also hopefully get struck down as it is completely rediculous and has had absolutely no effect on crime rates whatsoever!!

kemasa
12-10-2009, 4:10 PM
The 1 per 30 does not apply to PPTs.

The time starts when the DROS is submitted.

kemasa
12-10-2009, 4:19 PM
New or used does not matter. How it is transferred does. Consignment sales can be done as a PPT or a dealer transfer. A PPT is exempt, but a dealer transfer is not.

If you have a C&R FFL and a CA DOJ COE, then you are exempt as well, not just for C&R firearms. There are other exemptions as well.

See CA PC section 12072(a)(9)

If you already own firearms, then there should be no waiting period at all. The cooling off period is just a bad joke, well, actually it is to harass people who want to purchase firearms, so it does a good job of that.

biorunner
12-10-2009, 5:24 PM
Agreed, it does seem like a silly law as well as many others with regards to buying handguns. Oh well I'm just trying to be a well informed, responsible gun owner. The convoluted laws can make the well informed part difficult for some of new to this. Thanks for the helpful info.