PDA

View Full Version : Shooting laws in Sonoma county.

Steve O
10-03-2009, 2:22 AM
I'm considering buying some property in the county of Sonoma.
It's out in Petaluma and surrounded by cattle and horse ranches.

The neighbor said she sees coyotes...when I asked her if she shoots them, she said it was illegal. I was sure that a shoot, or two, fired in county was not illegal on private property not near roads? She then said "well you have to have a reason" huh? maybe she was afraid I was going to open a shooting range..lol.. actually there is one down the road!

Does someone know the local laws for that area? I'm sure I can call the sheriff office, but I don't think I'll get a straight answer.
I'm concerned because I'm hoping to get some small live stock...

odysseus
10-03-2009, 2:29 AM
BTW I am close to you, and good luck with the property. Would these be near the cotati side? Unincorporated? I am curious myself about your question.

Steve O
10-03-2009, 3:07 AM
Out near two rock. There is a range down the street.
I just want to sort out the neighbors FUD first...

odysseus
10-03-2009, 3:10 AM
Yep, familiar with it. Sounds like FUD too from the neighbor given proper distance.

Steve O
10-03-2009, 5:04 AM
I just don't know who to call, other than an attorney...
I want to have the PC so i can make sure...

yoteassasin
10-03-2009, 7:22 AM
im almost sure fish and game code is 150 yards from any building you don't have permission to shoot closer too other wise if it is in the county you are good to go

big jon
10-03-2009, 7:29 AM
I live in San Berdo county and we can shoot @ 100 yards form homes / buildings but shotgun only!

BigDogatPlay
10-03-2009, 2:09 PM
I'm in Petaluma, so hello neighbor. :)

All of the incorporated cities have ordinances concerning discharging firearms within the city limits. The county ordinances regarding firearms are somewhat loose, depending on how close your neighbors are. All F&G and PC regulations apply.

Dogs injuring or molesting livestock may be shot on sight without warning. There are big signs posted all over the county to that effect. I believe the same might be true for coyotes, since they are considered a pest by F&G.

My recommendation, rather than calling the sheriff's office, is to go by the county clerk's office and research out the county ordinances for yourself. Then if you have questions, drop in to the sheriff's office and ask those specific questions. Don't take the counter people at their word, ask to speak to a deputy or to a sergeant.

As to the F&G regs, the regional HQ for the Bay Delta Region of DFG is over the hill in Napa County. The wardens are, pretty much, universally cool and have minimal FUD. The contact info for the office is....

7329 Silverado Trail
Napa, CA 94558
(707) 944-5500
FAX: (707) 944-5563

artherd
10-04-2009, 3:06 AM
Most game wardens are pretty cool dudes and will give you the straight story from a federal perspective.

I have a home in (unincorporated) Healdsburg, and I do target shoot there though at 50 acres it's still a little small in my opinion.