PDA

View Full Version : Whats all the hub bub with the AR-15?

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:09 AM
From what I have read a lot of people do NOT like this gun, I think it is overrated and people who arent really gun people are infatuated with it. So anyone have some answers for me? Thanks!

ArkinDomino
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
read this whole board.... :rolleyes:

Aleksei Vasiliev
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
tons of parts
tons of upgrades
the AK's (inferior) competitor

chsk9
10-03-2009, 12:16 AM
troll :36:

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:19 AM
chsk9 who is the troll? I think its a POS but Im sure 99% of the people will disagree with me, but that is ok I would MUCH rather have a long range tactical rifle personally.

ArkinDomino
10-03-2009, 12:20 AM
chsk9 who is the troll? I think its a POS but Im sure 99% of the people will disagree with me, but that is ok I would MUCH rather have a long range tactical rifle personally.

:ban:

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Ok ArkinDomino just because I do not believe in your ideals I should be banned? Wow tough crowd lol

Blue
10-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Ok ArkinDomino just because I do not believe in your ideals I should be banned? Wow tough crowd lol

You're a new poster posting a troll like question. That's why they're throwing that out there.

Full Clip
10-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Seriously? You're kidding, right?

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:25 AM
New to CalGuns, yes. But not to firearms in general. How is that a troll question? Their is about a Billion different forums and sub-forums on CG why do I need to read every single one of them to find my answer. Ok maybe someone can link me to a thread that explains it all.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Seriously? You're kidding, right?

Yeah I am kidding:rolleyes:

Blue
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
New to CalGuns, yes. But not to firearms in general. How is that a troll question? Their is about a Billion different forums and sub-forums on CG why do I need to read every single one of them to find my answer. Ok maybe someone can link me to a thread that explains it all.

What's better? A Glock or 1911? Will a 9mm stop a criminal just as good as a 45 will?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
...but that is ok I would MUCH rather have a long range tactical rifle personally.

A long range tactical rifle against swarms of hungry zombies?

Seriously?

Good luck with that bro. Hopefully, by the time you turn 18 and are ready to buy that first rifle, you will have changed your mind.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:33 AM
What's better? A Glock or 1911? Will a 9mm stop a criminal just as good as a 45 will?

Ok this is dumb, but a 1911 vs. a Glock would be like a wash. Both come in .45 calibers. And yes a 9mm will stop a criminal, its about shot placement not necessarily caliber, a .22 can be very deadly as the bullet will just bounce around destroying tissue as it tumbles. So yes a 9mm can be just as deadly as a .45.

Norccer
10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok this is dumb, but a 1911 vs. a Glock would be like a wash. Both come in .45 calibers. And yes a 9mm will stop a criminal, its about shot placement not necessarily caliber, a .22 can be very deadly as the bullet will just bounce around destroying tissue as it tumbles. So yes a 9mm can be just as deadly as a .45.

L o L

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:35 AM
A long range tactical rifle against swarms of hungry zombies?

Seriously?

Good luck with that bro. Hopefully, by the time you turn 18 and are ready to buy that first rifle, you will have changed your mind.

Ha I am 29! And your from Frisco I take what you have to say with a grain of salt. What do I need an AR for? Because it looks cool and I can say, "Look at me I am a badass with my assault style gun" LMFAO, NEXT!!!!!! Oh and I would prefer a gun that can hunt as well, maybe I should just stick with a .300 win mag or that .270 when I go hunt a whitetail or mule deer. Or maybe pick up the .338 when I get a tag for the 2010 Elk hunting season, I am not a noob like you think I am please.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
L o L

Am I wrong? Please explain your "L o L" reasoning. I am dyeing to hear this.

bender152
10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
There's no need to feed the troll, guys.

drunktank
10-03-2009, 12:38 AM
From what I have read a lot of people do NOT like this gun, I think it is overrated and people who arent really gun people are infatuated with it. So anyone have some answers for me? Thanks!

I'll give you my answer as why I bought an AR-15. Well, it's a build in progress, but you get the point.

I've shot alot of guns and the AR has been the funnest for plinking with open sights. The 10/22 being in second place. So of course, I bought those two guns since a big part of the reason I own firearms is for recreational use.

Many of my friends like the AR platform because that is what they were issued in the armed forces. They also own Berettas for said reason. Hope this helps.

Tragic Image
10-03-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna go with my favorite line I've seen.

AR's are Men's Barbie dolls....

I don't know of anyone on this board that will claim an AR is the end all, be all of guns, but there is certainly plenty of people that enjoy theirs.

Many people would like to own several different types of guns. An AR is one of the few that I own, and I love it. Its fun to shoot, it reliable, its exactly how I want it, and I put it together with my own hands. To me, there is a pride in ownership involved.

Many people don't understand, or don't value that to the same extent. Much like some one could drive a brand new car everyday, and not understand why or how the guy who rebuilt his old 71 Nova from a junker to a daily driver could take pride in it.

But thats just my take on it.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll give you my answer as why I bought an AR-15. Well, it's a build in progress, but you get the point.

I've shot alot of guns and the AR has been the funnest for plinking with open sights. The 10/22 being in second place. So of course, I bought those two guns since a big part of the reason I own firearms is for recreational use.

Many of my friends like the AR platform because that is what they were issued in the armed forces. They also own Berettas for said reason. Hope this helps.

Thank you!!! Someone who doesnt have a SA answer for me. I appreciate that you took the time to answer my question. Yeah my Dad's service weapon was a 9mm Beretta, was a fun gun to shoot. 22's are a lot of fun for plinking and is generally a great gun for anyone to shoot. I will admit they look pretty fantastic when done up and that is probably a big draw for a lot of people.

pacrimguru
10-03-2009, 12:44 AM
AR's are Men's Barbie dolls....

i love my barbies.

Arteel
10-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I guess I'm not really 'gun people'.

GenLee
10-03-2009, 12:47 AM

Answers? The only answer I have for you is "you don't own one" If you did you would understand all that "overrated" BS is just that. BS.

Buy one, Build one, Borrow one, Whatever. You will not be disappointed. ;)

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Thank you!!! Someone who doesnt have a SA answer for me. I appreciate that you took the time to answer my question. Yeah my Dad's service weapon was a 9mm Beretta, was a fun gun to shoot. 22's are a lot of fun for plinking and is generally a great gun for anyone to shoot. I will admit they look pretty fantastic when done up and that is probably a big draw for a lot of people.

Tone is everything.

barrym66
As accurate as you want to build it...Erector set for big boys....looks cool... reasonable cost....etc.

The AR platform has a huge aftermarket, lots of suppliers and options, runs great, and is becoming the standard in service rifle competitions. What more could you want?

I was a late convert as well, but if you are looking for a single gun that can serve many uses (plinking, varminting, competition use), you'd be hard pressed to find a better platform. YMMV/IMHO....

KillZone45
I guess I'm not really 'gun people'.

It was a blanket statement, sorry I should have worded it better. I did not mean your personally.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:50 AM
As accurate as you want to build it...Erector set for big boys....looks cool... reasonable cost....etc.

The AR platform has a huge aftermarket, lots of suppliers and options, runs great, and is becoming the standard in service rifle competitions. What more could you want?

I was a late convert as well, but if you are looking for a single gun that can serve many uses (plinking, varminting, competition use), you'd be hard pressed to find a better platform. YMMV/IMHO....

Thanks Barry your insight is welcomed:rockon:

Cal-Irish
10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Kill the troll with fire.

DK9mm
:beatdeadhorse5:

Tragic Image
DezertPilot -

have you ever had the chance to shoot a well done AR playform rifle?

dieselpower
10-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Lets see...
1) the most versatile firearm EVER chambered any size bullet...check
2) NATO suppliable...check
3) service accurate to 400 yards right out of the box...check
4) no maintenance trouble when normally kept right out of the box....check
5) loads of modifications, and THOUSANDS of places to get parts...check
6) Built to be modified...check
7) built to allow a person with an 8th grade education to repair it...check

If you don't like AR15s, you need a couple more years under your belt before yourself a man. There is no firearm currently on the market that can do all of these things. There are some close ones, but they fail when you look at every thing available to an AR15 owner.

If we were in commy china, or sand-land, I would probably say the AK74 is the best weapon, but we are not. We are in the good ol USA, where the AR15 is on every gun shelf in the land.

Once again, there is no weapon more versatile then the AR15. If you want to paint yourself into a corner and spit out some weapon..be my guest. No matter what it is, it will not hold up to the AR15 in our time.

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Lets see...

If you don't like AR15s, you need a couple more years under your belt before yourself a man. There is no firearm currently on the market that can do all of these things. There are some close ones, but they fail when you look at every thing available to an AR15 owner.

If we were in commy china, or sand-land, I would probably say the AK74 is the best weapon, but we are not. We are in the good ol USA, where the AR15 is on every gun shelf in the land.

Once again, there is no weapon more versatile then the AR15. If you want to paint yourself into a corner and spit out some weapon..be my guest. No matter what it is, it will not hold up to the AR15 in our time.

AMEN!

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:56 AM
DezertPilot -

Nope.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Lets see...

This is exactly what I was looking for.

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Nope.

Dont knock it until you try it.

cmace22
10-03-2009, 12:58 AM

You never posted a question to answer. Just made some off the wall comments.

Ive read alot of people dont like air. I think its overrated and people who arnt really people are just infatuated with it.

I think you fit the definition very well......

Troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 1:00 AM
:lurk5:

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:04 AM
You never posted a question to answer. Just made some off the wall comments.

Ive read alot of people dont like air. I think its overrated and people who arnt really people are just infatuated with it.

I think you fit the definition very well......

Troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

That is awesome, can we get a mod in here to put Troll under my S/N? That would be swell:p I asked what the hub bub was over the rifle, are you blind and didnt pick up on that?

ArkinDomino
10-03-2009, 1:04 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd164/ArkinDomino/troll.gif

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:05 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd164/ArkinDomino/troll.gif

Especially from those Zombies!:43:

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:06 AM
Dieselpower is the man and answered my question, why couldnt all the other gun pro's here, since I am sure that all you guys are gun pros answer my question like he did?

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 1:07 AM
That is awesome, can we get a mod in here to put Troll under my S/N? That would be swell:p I asked what the hub bub was over the rifle, are you blind and didnt pick up on that?

I believe the question was answered.

Originally Posted by dieselpower
Lets see...

kf6tac
10-03-2009, 1:11 AM

If someone showed up on a forum you were a longtime member of and asked "What's all the hubbub about <insert rifle you like here>, I think it's overrated and think it's a POS, so what's the deal?" would you think they were legitimately seeking info? When you phrase an inquiry like that, regardless of whether you are genuinely looking for information, you make yourself come across as, well, take your pick of colorful words here. Troll is probably the least offensive of them. People can't see your facial expression or hear your tone on the internet, so choose your words wisely.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:12 AM
I believe the question was answered.

Originally Posted by dieselpower
Lets see...

LOL where you been? Late to the party, eh?

cbn620
10-03-2009, 1:14 AM
I'm not going to assume you're a troll, just a little off your rocker. Everyone has a right to their opinion but when you go saying it's a gun for people who don't know anything about guns and that it's a total piece of crap, you've kind of stepped beyond mere personal preference.

I think the appeal is how modular the system is and how widespread it is as a platform. I can't think of another semi-automatic rifle on the market that a person could truly build from the ground up so easily. Compare it to the 1911 in this respect. But for that matter I don't think people need a reason to like something and I don't think their taste in firearms is a fair dictum to base their knowledge of firearms on.

I think it shows a certain ignorance on your part to make such a comment when there are certified gunsmiths with years of work and endless qualifications under their belts who know more about firearms than you and I combined who know and love the AR-15 rifle, perhaps even specialize in it or build rifles of its type exclusively.

I also don't think liking the AR is grounds for hating the AK, or vice versa. I say buy both; the more the merrier. You will be a happier person for it.

cmace22
10-03-2009, 1:15 AM

From what I have read a lot of people do NOT like this gun.

Statment

I think it is overrated and people who arent really gun people are infatuated with it.

Opinion

So anyone have some answers for me? Thanks!

You want someone to tell you why YOU have read alot of people dont like the gun?

You want someone to tell you why YOU think its overrated and people who arent really gun people are infatuated with it.

Sorry bud, only YOU can answer those questions

Im not blind and I can read too!

Maybe its you that has a poor ability to convey whats on your mind.

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 1:15 AM
Not at all. Sitting back watching you..... well nevermind.

Like I said earlier, tone is everything. If you have a valid question ask it in a decent manner and you will get an honest answer.

:rolleyes:

hellraiser
10-03-2009, 1:16 AM
hey dezertpiolt,
probaly the biggest reason people like the ar is its ease of modification...
you can go from iorn sights and .223 to .50 beowulf with all kinds of bells and whistels in the form of optics, light and lazers...

Mssr. Eleganté
10-03-2009, 1:21 AM
You have to realize, we can read every post you've ever posted here on Calguns. A week ago you were asking how to buy a gun. A few days later you were asking what a Remington PSS was and what was it used for. Then two days later you were posting that tactical bolt guns were better than AR15's. Come on, you have to see the comedy in that.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:23 AM
hey dezertpiolt,
probaly the biggest reason people like the ar is its ease of modification...
you can go from iorn sights and .223 to .50 beowulf with all kinds of bells and whistels in the form of optics, light and lazers...

Yeah I noticed that with the rail system all that stuff can be added, what is the beowulf in the .50 cal? Just a certain brand?

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 1:27 AM
Yeah I noticed that with the rail system all that stuff can be added, what is the beowulf in the .50 cal? Just a certain brand?

:xeno:

hellraiser
10-03-2009, 1:28 AM
you can remove the whole upper half of an ar and change calibers... .50 cal beowulf is one of the many calibers you can choose from as well as 9mm, 45, and 22lr...

that is kinda the heart of the ar system...

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 1:28 AM
Ok I got it, next time I wonder sound like such a SA and then I will expect the same in return, I have my question answered:)

Steve O
10-03-2009, 1:29 AM
Ha I am 29! And your from Frisco I take what you have to say with a grain of salt. What do I need an AR for? Because it looks cool and I can say, "Look at me I am a badass with my assault style gun" LMFAO, NEXT!!!!!! Oh and I would prefer a gun that can hunt as well, maybe I should just stick with a .300 win mag or that .270 when I go hunt a whitetail or mule deer. Or maybe pick up the .338 when I get a tag for the 2010 Elk hunting season, I am not a noob like you think I am please.

lol. These guys are hard as hell. I still get banned every few months.

Why I LOVE the AR!

Because I can change out an upper receiver, and magazine and shoot just about any pistol or rifle caliber i want! I've had a bunch of rilfes, then i got the some AR's... Now it's the only rifle i need!

freonr22
10-03-2009, 1:30 AM

I know im going to get flamed for this, BUT one is plastic, one is stainless steel (or steel, alloy, etc) It depend on how many criminals you want to get rid of

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 1:30 AM
:hurray:

cbn620
10-03-2009, 1:32 AM
You have to realize, we can read every post you've ever posted here on Calguns. A week ago you were asking how to buy a gun. A few days later you were asking what a Remington PSS was and what was it used for. Then two days later you were posting that tactical bolt guns were better than AR15's. Come on, you have to see the comedy in that.

Ahahahahahaha... Case closed.

Ruiner
10-03-2009, 1:34 AM
Sounds like you are genuinely interested in the platform. Although I would suggest a less provocative tone next time you ask your first question. :D Coming in and accusing everyone of having overrated POS guns, *ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER EVER USED ONE* isn't the best way to get the info / help you need. :D You can buy a complete beowulf upper receiver from Alexander Arms. The beowulf though is more of a big game cartridge and not one suited for long range precision shooting. If long range / precision is your forte, then I would suggest something like a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC (both of these use the standard AR15 lower) or maybe build an AR10 type rifle in .308 instead.

Black Majik
10-03-2009, 1:42 AM
Welcome to Calguns. This place is filled with information, but you sort of have to understand how forums go. It does seem like you're pretty new to firearms in general, I say this as a friendly recommendation, read more, post less. While our search function isn't the best, it's useable.

Learn the basics of each platform, most of the questions you've inquired have been covered. While questions are always welcome, when you pose a question stating a platform sucks with little firearms experience or experience on that particular platform, you're perceived as being pretty ignorant to place such a blanket statement.

We're always here to answer questions, but maybe posing a question that is less biased opinion and you'll receive better results.

hellraiser
10-03-2009, 1:43 AM
Sounds like you are genuinely interested in the platform. Although I would suggest a less provocative tone next time you ask your first question. :D Coming in and accusing everyone of having overrated POS guns, *ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER EVER USED ONE* isn't the best way to get the info / help you need.

+1...

artherd
10-03-2009, 1:46 AM
Because DOJ does not want you to have them so bad they tried to charge me with 219 felonies for introducing the OLL concept.

http://cdglobal.net/gun/AR_4-blur-crop-600.jpg
(the first AR-15 type rifle in CA in half a decade - circa 2005)

cbn620
10-03-2009, 1:49 AM
I will put 50 bucks on in less than a year's time this dude is gonna have an Eotech'd AR with all kinds of sweet rails, a 3-point sling, lasers, flashlights, all the bells and whistles. He will be on Youtube like this guy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kckLMufuObQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kckLMufuObQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Beelzy
10-03-2009, 6:54 AM
To the OP:

You don't have to like it, but you have to respect it.

The AR is a Battle Rifle. IMO, the Second Best battle implement ever devised.

I don't like Glocks, but I do see they have their place in the Gun World.
Variety is the Spice of Life, that's why we have so many choices. Try one,
you might like the AR.

luchador768
10-03-2009, 6:56 AM
Because DOJ does not want you to have them so bad they tried to charge me with 219 felonies for introducing the OLL concept.

http://cdglobal.net/gun/AR_4-blur-crop-600.jpg
(the first AR-15 type rifle in CA in half a decade - circa 2005)

I'm actually impressed! The OP got one of the Big Guns reply to their statement (you didn't really ask a question, as pointed out earlier.)

I used to feel the same way the OP does about AR's. I thought the AK was the be all end all. Now, four AR's later, I am continually impressed with the AR platform. They are accurate, versitile, and VERY reliable. Get one and shoot it alot, you will be pretty amazed.
Peter

Vin496
10-03-2009, 7:36 AM
Oh man I should have opened this thread earlier, good stuff in it.

Dezert, you came into this forum and didn't really ask a question as much as make a negative statement and then "demand" answers.

You then start throwing out these comments,

chsk9 I think its a POS but Im sure 99% of the people will disagree with me, but that is ok I would MUCH rather have a long range tactical rifle personally.

Ha I am 29! And your from Frisco I take what you have to say with a grain of salt. What do I need an AR for? Because it looks cool and I can say, "Look at me I am a badass with my assault style gun" LMFAO, NEXT!!!!!!

Your a new poster so it's easy to check out your post history, as Mssr Elegante pointed out

You have to realize, we can read every post you've ever posted here on Calguns. A week ago you were asking how to buy a gun. A few days later you were asking what a Remington PSS was and what was it used for. Then two days later you were posting that tactical bolt guns were better than AR15's.

So here we have a new member throwing out some very opinionated statements about a rifle enjoyed by many here, that he himself even admits he has never handled.

Nope.

If anyone checks out who Dezertpilot is, it becomes obvious fairly quickly, that less than 10 days ago, you were worried about your 1st gun purchase, and didn't know "all that".

Hello all! New member here, just thought I would register as I just bought a new XD .45 and want to be in the know about firearms in general. This seems to be a great website full of knowledge, thanks for having me CalGuns:)

Ok I checked the DOJ website for prohibited firearm owners and I am not one of those people. I am on summary probation for a non-violent misdemeanor for another 9 months or so. Will I have any problem getting "approved" to own a firearm? A few of my buddies say I should be fine but I am still sorta nervous.

Hence the reason you are getting some resistance.

Welcome to the forum, but remember it's probably best not to come in here and start getting "loud" about things you have no 1st hand knowledge about. Please ask question and interact, but be respectful,

Well at least till you know some, then have fun flaming away.:D

a1fabweld
10-03-2009, 7:48 AM
For me, the AR is the most versatile rifle on the market. You can shoot multiple calibers simply by switching the upper/magazine. There are more accessories to personalize it than any other rifle available. 99% of mods can be done at home with a minimum of specialty tools & anyone with half a creative bone in their body can build one from scratch. It's accuracy & lightweight are also positives. The AR is the small block Chevy of rifles IMO.

dwh100
10-03-2009, 8:36 AM

Better pose a question if you want an answer! Troll!

Acorn556
10-03-2009, 8:41 AM
You're right. The AR-15 is a piece of Sh*t so avoid getting one. Don't waste time, money, or effort trying to understand it. If you have to question it you'll never get it.

ricochet
10-03-2009, 8:59 AM
I also don't think liking the AR is grounds for hating the AK, or vice versa. I say buy both; the more the merrier. You will be a happier person for it.

And an M44 Mosin Nagant and a 12 gauge side by side Coach gun and a Ruger P89 9mm (best first gun there is) and ...

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 9:05 AM

You are showing your overall ignorance here. Nobody who know "The City" would ever think of calling it "Frisco". BTW, we need to support those of us deeply entrenched in the enemy's camp instead of bashing them. Those of us who choose to live there can help educate the antis and allow them to see the errors of their ways.

DezertPilot -

Nope.

Then, maybe you should. You think????? Or, are you just planning on being a young ZUMBO forever?

To the OP:

You don't have to like it, but you have to respect it.

The AR is a Battle Rifle. IMO, the Second Best battle implement ever devised.

I don't like Glocks, but I do see they have their place in the Gun World.
Variety is the Spice of Life, that's why we have so many choices. Try one,
you might like the AR.

Yep, everyone has different needs, likes and dislikes. Why would you knock someone else's choice in firearms just because it doesn't fit into your lifestyle? I'd love to see you shoot a 3 gun match with a bolt action 300WM. Yea, I'll agree with you that the AR15 platform will not work in every situation. I have yet to see anyone shooting International Skeet with one. Although, they make scatter gun uppers. I've never seen an AR15 pistol at an IDPA match either. But, there are so many different configurations that can be built on an AR15 platform that you can't seriously think there is no use for it. You may know a few Zumbo cronys who don't care for it but, they are few and far between. You seem like such a firearms expert that it surprises me that you don't even realize that the bolt action, longrange percision guns you seem to like so much can be built on an AR15 platform. I've got ARs in calibers ranging from .22lr to 50BMG and mine are proven (in compitition) to shoot .5moa at up to 1000 yards. Your hunting rifle probably can't do that. I know I can't shoot my meat getters that well.

Nix78
10-03-2009, 9:07 AM

XD ,LMAO, First of all
1. The weapon of choice for local and regional Law enforcement
2. The rifle that has A well augmented History of the U.S (Yes History)
3. "Overrated" I think not , saying that is like saying the M1 Grand was plinkster in WWII. It may have not been that good ,but just like our troops today it dose the job good enough. The Answer is "The all American rifle"....just like the "AK" to the Taliban....or an RPG LOL.:D

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 9:11 AM
Hey OP,

What all the hub bub with KTM bikes? I hear a lot of people don't like them. They seem to be way over rated. Teach me.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3146577#post3146577

2008 KTM 530EXC-R Street Legal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As title says, WELL FARKLED!!!! Too much to list but I will name what I can
***ALL PARTS ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION***
*Front fender, fork guards and headlight mask are Black pieces bought from the dealer
*Black Acerbis Rally handguards*
***Tires shown are Dunlop 606's, they are off the bike and BRAND NEW never ran Bridgestone Grity ED78 & 77's are now on*** I can include the 606's in the sale. The 606's wear like Iron and have about 50% rear and 60% or so tread left.
*Scotts steering stabilizer w/mounting kit (installed)*
*SAR MAP switch*
*KTM Hardparts "case saver", protects the clutch if the chain breaks
*Acerbis Orange Translucent 3.4 gallon tank*
*Enduro Engineering soft seat*
*R&D Float bowl w/JD jetting kit and smog crap removed*
*Oil and Trans fill hole pieces replaced with Orange anodized hex head pieces*
*KTM fan kit w/Engine Ice*
*Scotts SS oil filter*
*BRP Black Anodized/polished magnetic oil cover*
*KTM Hardparts Rear Brake Reservoir Orange Anodized Finned Extension w/Orange Anodized Top Piece*
*KTM hardparts plastic composite quick release skid plate*
*FMF Speed muffler w/USFS approved spark arrestor*
*F&R Tugger straps*
*BRP Black chain guide*
*BPD chain guard*
*Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips*
*Fastway F6 Pegs*
*Dirt Tricks timing chain adjuster*
*14tooth counter sprocket+Supersprox 48 tooth rear*
*SAR rear license plate+low profile smoked LED turn signals*
Also comes with various other pieces like (3) Filter skins and other chemicals and oils. Can include BRAND ****NEW STILL IN BOX Advanced Flow Engineering Aries model synthetic media air filter.
I Also Have A New Moose Folding Aluminum Ramp+Ogio Flight Vest+Complete Riding Gear, I Also Have A Brand New KTM Extreme Weather Jacket That Was Purchased Last December With Zero Ride Miles Available For Additional $$$****Items listed in bold can be negotiated into purchase price.
*****If interested I also have an Alpinestars MX-1 Street jacket that is also for sale if you plan on doing a lot of street riding*****
****Bike has fully transferable 4 year warranty that is included!!!!****

Bike has engine and trans oil changed every 10 hrs and air filter is cleaned every ride.
***$7500 OBO***
I can be reached at 714.756.1713 and dezertpilot@gmail.com

Located in Newport Beach, Ca and I will send about 10 photos on request.
Attached Images KTM side right shot2.jpg (65.4 KB, 32 views)
frontKtm.jpg (70.4 KB, 24 views)
blingKtm.jpg (73.7 KB, 22 views)
rearKtm.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
sideKtm.jpg (83.4 KB, 16 views)

Oh yea, the internet is a powerful place. Don't openly post your phone number on a form unless you expect to get lots of calls.

Yep, you sure seem to have a lot of experience:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3110974#post3110974

You must have learned a lot in the last two weeks.

You must be a fast learner. It seems like just a few days ago that you didn't even know what a long range rifle was:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=227200

BTW, I'm curious to know if had any trouble picking up your first gun while on probation? Do you mind if I ask what you are on probation for? Also, I'm glad that you don't want to work for someone who has a dress code (no visible tats) at his shop. I know, it's his loss. You would have been a perfect employee at a gun store since you are so knowledgable on the subject.

Now that you are probably completely embarrassed and/or pissed at me, I'll be nice and offer to let you shoot a couple of my rifles built on AR15 platforms. Then, you can form a slightly more educated and experience opinion. The only thing that I would REQUIRE from you is PROOF that you are not a prohibited person. I'd need this since, I know that you are on probation for committing some sort of crime. My offer is sincere. If you want to take me up on it, I'd meet you at Angeles some weekend. PM me if you're interested.

ZombieKiller
10-03-2009, 9:17 AM
Dieselpower is the man and answered my question, why couldnt all the other gun pro's here, since I am sure that all you guys are gun pros answer my question like he did?

I believe it is the tone that you came out with when initially labeled as a troll. Like someone said earlier- tone is everything.

thefurball
10-03-2009, 9:27 AM

Simply a matter of personal taste... kind of like my friends wife.

He loves her dearly and thinks she is a thing of beauty. I on the other hand think she looks like the south end of a north bound bull dog with mismatched parts. :puke:

Personal taste.

B Strong
10-03-2009, 9:37 AM
Somebody needs attention.

I own different semi-auto rifles, and precision long range rifles.

Different tools for different jobs.

I wouldn't try to get hits on a man sized target at 800 yds. with my Noveske light recce w/ an aimpoint, and I wouldn't do CQB with a 17lb bolt rifle.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 9:40 AM
Simply a matter of personal taste... kind of like my friends wife.

He loves her dearly and thinks she is a thing of beauty. I on the other hand think she looks like the south end of a north bound bull dog with mismatched parts. :puke:

Personal taste.

:useless:

Beelzy
10-03-2009, 9:41 AM
Hey OP,

What all the hub bub with KTM bikes? I hear a lot of people don't like them. They seem to be way over rated. Teach me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Front fender, fork guards and headlight mask are Black pieces bought from the dealer
***Tires shown are Dunlop 606's, they are off the bike and BRAND NEW never ran Bridgestone Grity ED78 & 77's are now on*** I can include the 606's in the sale. The 606's wear like Iron and have about 50% rear and 60% or so tread left.
*SAR MAP switch*
*Scotts SS oil filter*
*KTM Hardparts Rear Brake Reservoir Orange Anodized Finned Extension w/Orange Anodized Top Piece*
*F&R Tugger straps*
*BRP Black chain guide*
*BPD chain guard*
*Fastway F6 Pegs*
Also comes with various other pieces like (3) Filter skins and other chemicals and oils. Can include BRAND ****NEW STILL IN BOX Advanced Flow Engineering Aries model synthetic media air filter.
I Also Have A New Moose Folding Aluminum Ramp+Ogio Flight Vest+Complete Riding Gear, I Also Have A Brand New KTM Extreme Weather Jacket That Was Purchased Last December With Zero Ride Miles Available For Additional $$$****Items listed in bold can be negotiated into purchase price.
*****If interested I also have an Alpinestars MX-1 Street jacket that is also for sale if you plan on doing a lot of street riding*****

Bike has engine and trans oil changed every 10 hrs and air filter is cleaned every ride.
***$7500 OBO***

Oh yea, the internet is a powerful place. Don't openly post your phone number on a form unless you expect to get lots of calls.

You must be a fast learner. It seems like just a few days ago that you didn't even know what a long range rifle was:

BTW, I'm curious to know if had any trouble picking up your first gun while on probation? Do you mind if I ask what you are on probation for? Also, I'm glad that you don't want to work for someone who has a dress code (no visible tats) at his shop. I know, it's his loss. You would have been a perfect employee at a gun store since you are so knowledgable on the subject.

Now that you are probably completely embarrassed and/or pissed at me, I'll be nice and offer to let you shoot a couple of my rifles built on AR15 platforms. Then, you can form a slightly more educated and experience opinion. The only thing that I would REQUIRE from you is PROOF that you are not a prohibited person. I'd need this since, I know that you are on probation for committing some sort of crime. My offer is sincere. If you want to take me up on it, I'd meet you at Angeles some weekend. PM me if you're interested.

OMFG!!! (Windexing coffee off laptop screen)......Freaking Awesome! :punk:

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 9:45 AM
OMFG!!! (Windexing coffee off laptop screen)......Freaking Awesome! :punk:

Sorry man, I owe you a paper towel.

B Strong
10-03-2009, 9:50 AM
Mssr. Elegante' & the Cannoneer for the Win!

OP is a standard example of what's wrong in modern American society - strongly held opinions about a subject the individual knows nothing about.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 9:59 AM
Mssr. Elegante' & the Cannoneer for the Win!

OP is a standard example of what's wrong in modern American society - strongly held opinions about a subject the individual knows nothing about.

I have to give all the credit to Mssr. Elegante'.

oddball
10-03-2009, 10:01 AM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/oddballphoto/u0i89kgq79.jpg

I was going to write a sincere reply until I read this,along with the reality that this guy has never owned a firearm in his life.

Classic thread :D.

818gtiguy
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
+1 ...HAH!

bomb_on_bus
10-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh what fun the night shift has!

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!! !!!

:popcorn::rofl2:

fliparch
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
:rofl2:

Hilarious!!!! I saw this thread last night or early morning when it just started...VERY tempted to respond but held myself since I really don't enjoy arguing with someone isn't worth arguing with but what turn of events! HAHAHAHA!

Why oh why OP would you come off so arrogant and degrade a whole group of people some of whom put their lives on the line using the very weapon you criticize? Do you even know the years of knowledge regarding the AR and weaponry in general is confined within this website? Hahahaha. You are out of your league.

tomd1584
10-03-2009, 10:18 AM
hopefully his gets his XD thats in the "mail" soon.

B Strong
10-03-2009, 10:22 AM
After the beating that the OP took in this thread, my prediction is that he'll resurface with a different handle.

It never occured to him that there would be individuals on this forum with more time on the AR platform than he has on the planet.

B Strong
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
hopefully his gets his XD thats in the "mail" soon.

When that happens, what are the odds that there will be a thread about all the "Hub-Bub" about 1911's?

rubber duckie
10-03-2009, 10:36 AM
hahaha i just started reading this in the morning, but stopped thinking it was going to drag on....

HAHAHAHAHA ... when did newport beach become part of "frisco"?

DK9mm
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM
dezertpilot, read this for more info/history on the AR15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

:79:

skylovia
I will put 50 bucks on in less than a year's time this dude is gonna have an Eotech'd AR with all kinds of sweet rails, a 3-point sling, lasers, flashlights, all the bells and whistles. He will be on Youtube like this guy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kckLMufuObQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kckLMufuObQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:rofl2: i ALMOST thought this guys was being serious!

GraveTrain
To the OP: every firearm platform has it's staunch supporters and fan base. I encourage you to do some objective investigation through reference material published on the net on specific platforms. If you peruse through platform centric forums (such as ar15, theakforum, saiga12, etc.) it sounds like you need to read through the threads with a skeptic's eye and draw your own conclusions.

You won't find an answer by posting a thread asking for everyone's opinion on why something is better than another. It's rarely constructive as witnessed by the response you received... unless that was your original intention.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
hahaha i just started reading this in the morning, but stopped thinking it was going to drag on....

HAHAHAHAHA ... when did newport beach become part of "frisco"?

The OP lives in Newport Beach. He was responding to a post made by a respected and knowledgeable member who lives in "The City". At least now we all know that Newport Beach is a conservative town were the average IQ of the general population is a lot higher than that of San Francisco. Well, that or, the OP hasn't done his homework and is talking out his gas port.

GraveTrain
10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks to the fellow CalGunner's for an immediate and thorough dress down of a troll.

It made for great reading after breakfast with the family on a such a beautiful day in "the City". It's gonna be a good weekend. :D

Vin496
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
The OP lives in Newport Beach. He was responding to a post made by a respected and knowledgeable member who lives in "The City". At least now we all know that Newport Beach is a conservative town were the average IQ of the general population is a lot higher than that of San Francisco. Well, that or, the OP hasn't done his homework and is talking out his gas port.

How dare you insinuate the OP doesn't know what he is talking about. In 10 days he has read everything and thus is an AR expert now.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I asked about the Remington PSS? And I said I preferred a bolt action rifle to that of the AR, I know they are two completely different guns.

Black Majik
10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I asked about the Remington PSS? And I said I preferred a bolt action rifle to that of the AR, I know they are two completely different guns.

I know you've never tried an AR. Have you tried a bolt action?

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Better pose a question if you want an answer! Troll!

Oh no your hurting my feelings now:rolleyes:

Vin496
10-03-2009, 11:07 AM

No you asked what the purpose of the PSS was. Meaning what is a tactical bolt rifle.

Ok pardon my ignorance but what is this gun used/designed for exactly? Because in the near future (After I take ownership of my XD .45 that is in the mail) and hopefully tomorrow after I see my KTM I will be looking to buy a rifle like this.

Then just 3 days later, had accumulated all this knowledge.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I could really confuse him and show him bolt actions based on the AR15 platform.

Vin496
10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I could really confuse him and show him bolt actions based on the AR15 platform.

But he is 29 and not a noob. He has a gun in the mail!!!!

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey OP,

Oh I am not mad at all, I have done some researching and have talked to my dad who is a huge sportsman so I have received a few answers to my questions. I have grown up shooting guns since I was a little kid but it has been awhile since I have been really interested in them. Well the KTM is a great bike and their are the people who dont like them that ride the Big 4 brand. Its a great bike for people who dual sport and like to ride a more refined bike and it has many standard options that a bike of the Big 4 would never have stock. If you like to trail ride and a paved road that is public connects your favorite riding trails then a plated KTM would be a good match.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM
But he is 29 and not a noob. He has a gun in the mail!!!!

Yes its coming from the manufacturer STRAIGHT to my place of residence, how awesome is that?!

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:13 AM

I have shot a .270, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 30-06 and .338. I am not opposed to the AR either.

818gtiguy
10-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes its coming from the manufacturer STRAIGHT to my place of residence, how awesome is that?!

I smell BS..Also, what are you on probation for?

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
QUOTE=Dezertpilot;3152691]Yes its coming from the manufacturer STRAIGHT to my place of residence, how awesome is that?![/QUOTE]

:rofl2::rofl2:

Wow, still on probation and you already have a 01FFL with your home address on it! Awsome!!!!!

Hey Dezertpilot,

Before you get yourself any deeper into this hole, try googling "ZUMBO" and finding out how someone, who has worked in the firearms industry longer than you've been alive, totally lost ALL credability (on a world wide basis) for talking smack about the AR15 platform. He ruined his entire carreer in less than 30 seconds. If I were you, I'd learn a little more before flaming anything.

rct442
10-03-2009, 11:17 AM

How is that even legal? 01 or 03 FFL? :confused:

Black Majik
10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
How is that even legal? 01 or 03 FFL? :confused:

Sarcasm. ;)

tomd1584
10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I have shot a .270, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 30-06 and .338. I am not opposed to the AR either.

oh really? your 2nd post disagrees with you:

Arteel
:nopity:

KillZone45

Do you mind if I ask what you are on probation for? Also, I'm glad that you don't want to work for someone who has a dress code (no visible tats) at his shop. I know, it's his loss. You would have been a perfect employee at a gun store since you are so knowledgable on the subject.

I am on summary probation for getting a dui a few yrs back, I have learned the error of my ways and have since moved on. And if I worked for a Co. that had a no tattoos visible policy I would simply wear long sleeves, I would be hired at the Co. for what I know not for what I look like. And No I wouldnt be applying at a gun store any time soon. And no I am not a prohibited person, I checked the DOJ site and I am not a Felon or have any violent crimes against myself, so I am good to go. I will even let you run a back ground check on me if you would like. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, where is Angels at exactly?

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I smell BS..

It is BS why do you think I put in in bold letters?

rct442
10-03-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/The_Game21/E-thug2.jpg
http://robotpirateninja.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/inet_tough_guy.jpg

chsk9
10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
This must be placed in the hall of flame... errr.. I mean hall of fame posts...

Hey OP,

*SAR MAP switch*
*Scotts SS oil filter*
*F&R Tugger straps*
*BRP Black chain guide*
*BPD chain guard*
*Fastway F6 Pegs*

***$7500 OBO***

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Ok, I thought this thread died off last night but I am wrong. I said how maybe I should have not come across like a SA and that next time I will ask in a more polite manner. I should not have said or worded it like I did and for that I am sorry and to those who I offended, my sincere apology to the AR fans and CG in general.

Vin496
10-03-2009, 11:27 AM

You have officially earned the CG TROLL award of the year.

Here you go,

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/MVC-007SJPG.jpg

Sheepdog1968
10-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Looks cool. What US military uses. Can carry more rounds per given weight which in some situations can be an advantage. I perfer a M1A in 308. Given CA potential legal headaches with ARs I'd rather own a mini-14 than an AR w a bullet button. FWIW, if CA allowed ARs like u can get in most of the USA then I really think owning one is fine. I still would perfer a 308 vs the 223 but that becomes like arguing handgun calibers.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, I thought this thread died off last night but I am wrong. I said how maybe I should have not come across like a SA and that next time I will ask in a more polite manner. I should not have said or worded it like I did and for that I am sorry and to those who I offended, my sincere apology to the AR fans and CG in general.

Once on the internet, always on the internet. It'll never die!!!!

OK, now, we're just having fun with you. Why don't you come out to the range and talk to some AR owners? I bet you'll be able to shoot a few different types. I'm not planning a range trip until Oct 18th. If you PM me a few days before then, I'll be sure to bring a couple out for you to try. Seriously, research "Zumbo" and learn from his mistake. It's an eye opener for the casual hunter.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I just Googled Zumbo, yeah thats bad news. Dont want to go their:(

chsk9
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
You have officially earned the CG TROLL award of the year.

Here you go,

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/MVC-007SJPG.jpg

I could swear I saw that guy posing next to a KTM one time...

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Once on the internet, always on the internet. It'll never die!!!!

OK, now, we're just having fun with you.

My feelings never really got involved so I am not mad at anyone, and I could tell you were just having a good time, no harm no foul;)

a1fabweld
10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
If you don't like the AR platform, don't buy the MF'er. It's just that simple. Nobody is forcing you to own one or like them. Lipping off about what a POS it is on a forum whose members are very fond of the design is going to take you about as far as beating your own head into a brick wall. ;)

ProlificARProspect
10-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Answers? The only answer I have for you is "you don't own one" If you did you would understand all that "overrated" BS is just that. BS.

Buy one, Build one, Borrow one, Whatever. You will not be disappointed. ;)

+1 ^^^^

To the OP, easy on the defensive stance, best advise is to try it out and see for yourself the big huupla of the AR-15 platform. Many members have covered all the good points on why we hold the AR-15 platform in high regard, take those points into consideration.

No BS just be straight up, we are not the typical California Sheep, we can see right through computer screen.

Take the offer from our fellow Calgunner and go for a shoot if you are willing to go and not a prohibited person, We follow the law here in our community.

~Prolific

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I could swear I saw that guy posing next to a KTM one time...

LMAO!!!!! Quite possibly! We ride into some remote areas so who knows?:confused:

JTROKS
10-03-2009, 11:52 AM
AR15s and AR10s are great. I have 3 AR15s 16" medium weight barrel, 20" Colt HBar Sporter Match, Stag Varmint heavy barrel. I thought I needed a bolt action 223 rifle, but with the accuracy the HBar and Stag is giving me I don't really need one. My next build will probably be an 18" medium weight A4 type with all the tactical goodies. There's got to be something good about it, Uncle Sam bought millions of them.

dieselpower
10-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Dude, there is no freaking way in any shape or form that you are getting an XD mailed directly to your home. You don't have the slightest idea what you are saying in relation to firearms and you are trying to pass yourself off as a kitchen table FFL....do you realize what that is?

Vin496
10-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Dude, there is no freaking way in any shape or form that you are getting an XD mailed directly to your home. You don't have the slightest idea what you are saying in relation to firearms and you are trying to pass yourself off as a kitchen table FFL....do you realize what that is?

Diesel you got to read the thread, he admitted he was BSing.

Post #112

socomIInato
10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Welcome to Calguns. This place is filled with information, but you sort of have to understand how forums go. It does seem like you're pretty new to firearms in general, I say this as a friendly recommendation, read more, post less. While our search function isn't the best, it's useable.

Learn the basics of each platform, most of the questions you've inquired have been covered. While questions are always welcome, when you pose a question stating a platform sucks with little firearms experience or experience on that particular platform, you're perceived as being pretty ignorant to place such a blanket statement.

We're always here to answer questions, but maybe posing a question that is less biased opinion and you'll receive better results.

+ 1, little less arrogance, more study on subject:cool:

dieselpower
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Post #112

My bust....missed that part.

StevieC
10-03-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the Stoner platform but I have owned two Colts
my favorite gun is still my FAL
but... I go humping through the desert for two or three hours a couple times a week and I'm tired of lugging the FAL or SKS
I'm getting permanent sling marks on my shoulders

I'm building a tiny lightweight M4gery for that shooting that I do most

if you sit at bench all day punching holes in paper at 600 yards or you get called in to assassinate bad guys from afar several times a month then should probably buy that long range gun your talking about

buy the gun for the shooting you do, not for what you wish you could do

Solidsnake87
10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
You could honestly answer you own question with the search button. There are just as many topics here as there are on ar15.com.

In any case, came you name any other rifle that comes is so many calibers and that can go from a pistol to a 1000 yard palma rifle with just a few pushes of a pin?

Paradiddle
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
14 pages on fun - and IBTL!!!

Wow.....

Vin496
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Wow.....

HAHAHA

You still see 14 pages!!!!:p

Turbinator
10-03-2009, 1:15 PM
This is by far the most entertaining thread I've read in the last couple of days. :D

Turby

tomd1584
10-03-2009, 1:18 PM

Wow.....

adjust your settings...i only see 4 pages..

much nicer IMO.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 1:35 PM

Wow.....

With a registration date of 2003, I'm surprised that you see 14 pages!

elSquid
10-03-2009, 1:54 PM

Post #112

Hopefully our lurking ATF agents read post #112, otherwise the OP should be expecting a visit sometime in the near future.

I have visions of a big, black Suburban with heavily tinted windows pulling into the OP's driveway, ostensibly there to inspect a certain KTM for sale...

:eek: [1]

-- Michael

[1] :D

ZombieKiller
10-03-2009, 4:47 PM
Dezert....Just come back under a different handle....lol.

Things will work out better for you.

ZombieKiller
10-03-2009, 4:48 PM
and IBTL

CalNRA
10-03-2009, 4:55 PM
the AK's (inferior) competitor

yeah, you are not a :troll: at all.:rolleyes:

IBTL

J_Rock
10-03-2009, 4:58 PM
So why dont we ban obvious trolls anymore? I think is board is getting soft :p

sevensix2x51
10-03-2009, 5:01 PM

its bad for the vendors. this thread has 15 pages of replies, and over 3000 views in 17 hours. if i were a banner ad owner, i would love this many hits on a page. im not slighting anybody, dont get me wrong. but when life hands you lemons....

plus it's fun to watch trolls play out over a thread.

Connor P Price
10-03-2009, 5:07 PM
15 pages of tasty troll food! NOM NOM NOM

If only the really good, thought provoking threads could get to 15 pages in such little time. Such a shame.

Memnok
10-03-2009, 5:09 PM
I think this thread is funny. I gotta wonder if the reaction would be the same if it asked same question about the SU16. We all know there would be no outrage from the members about that.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 5:15 PM
Hopefully our lurking ATF agents read post #112, otherwise the OP should be expecting a visit sometime in the near future.

I have visions of a big, black Suburban with heavily tinted windows pulling into the OP's driveway, ostensibly there to inspect a certain KTM for sale...

:eek: [1]

-- Michael

[1] :D

Uh oh!:eek: Someone is coming over VERY soon to look at the bike, if I dont post on this board again you will know what happened to me:TFH:

sevensix2x51
10-03-2009, 5:15 PM
I think this thread is funny. I gotta wonder if the reaction would be the same if it asked same question about the SU16. We all know there would be no outrage from the members about that.

lol. at least ar's arent totally worthless.

j/k :D

ps- ibtl- last post GET!!!

swerv512
10-03-2009, 5:21 PM
I'd take a HK/PTR 91/93 or a FAL over an AR any day....

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 5:27 PM

Read his posts. I'm thinking that he is just very new to firearms and worded his question very poorly. He has actually apologized for this and asked if anyone could suggest a better way to word a question like this in the future. There are trolls and then there are well intentioned people who word things poorly. I'm hoping that the OP is one of the latter. He got flamed pretty hard and took it in good spirit. He's new and has a lot to learn but, he'll probably fit in here better than many.

Dragunov
10-03-2009, 5:55 PM

I beg to differ, I have an SU-16 and it's a great weapon if used for what it's intended for.... An accurate and dependable survival weapon.

I have an old Colt AR, I really like it but it wouldn't be the first rifle I grabbed in a SHTF situation. That would fall to my SKS. My SKS is a particularly accurate one when I use Komada ammo, it has more knock down power than a 5.56 w/in 200yds, Doesn't need to be cleaned as much and will fire muddy.
I can reload it almost as quick using strippers, ammo's cheaper, it's simpler and in my opinion a bit tougher than an AR. Actually, I'd grab all three rifles if I had to bug out.

JTecalo
10-03-2009, 6:21 PM
What we need is something in off-topic that really is a pure BS thread.

you know like:

I shot the left wing off a flying gnat...with iron sights...at 1000yds....in a wind storm...at night...from a helicopter. I didn't have to buy any beers that night! Oh yeah!

sevensix2x51
10-03-2009, 6:27 PM
What we need is something in off-topic that really is a pure BS thread.

you know like:

that's nothing. i made love to a woman last night. didnt even get on the forums. :D:D:D

diginit
10-03-2009, 6:31 PM
Uhh.. I just don't quite know what to say.....BURRRRP....Guess that says most of it!
The AR is a POS. That's why it is issued to all our armed forces and most police depts. And why the DOJ doesn't want the public to possess such a weapon. They are no better than a derringer. Do a search on derringer to find out what that is. LOL
Just wanted to add alittle more BS to the last 15 pages of it....
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/OpticsReduced.jpg

bombadillo
10-03-2009, 6:40 PM
I'm actually impressed! The OP got one of the Big Guns reply to their statement (you didn't really ask a question, as pointed out earlier.)

I used to feel the same way the OP does about AR's. I thought the AK was the be all end all. Now, four AR's later, I am continually impressed with the AR platform. They are accurate, versitile, and VERY reliable. Get one and shoot it alot, you will be pretty amazed.
Peter

Holy crap man. I didn't know it was that many. BTW, who was your attorney for the whole thing. I have a few ideas but never really found out.

To the OP, saying that they'd rather have a long range tac driver then you can have that too. Get a gun chambered for a .510dtc round and you've got a 1k yard gun no problem. You can shoot from a 30gr .22lr bullet up to a 750+ grain .510 round. Whats not to love about something like this. You can make it a pistol, a rifle, a race gun, a battle rifle, an (insert yardage here) target gun, compete in high power, and many other aspects. Aside from a 1911, there aren't many more gun specific areas in firearms where they directly want one specific gun to be used in the competition. Go to camp perry and check out what all the hub bub is about.

odysseus
10-03-2009, 6:48 PM

Yes I LOL'd, not a good introduction to CGN especially with some of the grand statements made. Probably should just pause a little bit, and come back with a better method. I am being nice.

Oh, ARs are the wickedz.

fliparch
10-03-2009, 6:52 PM
Uhh.. I just don't quite know what to say.....BURRRRP....Guess that says most of it!
The AR is a POS. That's why it is issued to all our armed forces and most police depts. And why the DOJ doesn't want the public to possess such a weapon. They are no better than a derringer. Do a search on derringer to find out what that is. LOL

I am seriously freakin' jealous! How come you have all the good stuff?! Those are some sweet rifles.

KillZone45
10-03-2009, 7:39 PM
Read his posts. I'm thinking that he is just very new to firearms and worded his question very poorly. He has actually apologized for this and asked if anyone could suggest a better way to word a question like this in the future. There are trolls and then there are well intentioned people who word things poorly. I'm hoping that the OP is one of the latter. He got flamed pretty hard and took it in good spirit. He's new and has a lot to learn but, he'll probably fit in here better than many.

For sure!!!!! Im here to stay!! Unless a MOD temp bans me:( But I like you guys, so I will be here for a long while especially to soak up all that AR knowledge:hurray:

ledman
10-03-2009, 7:39 PM
I like to use my AR to prop open a window when it's hot outside, it is REALLY great for that.:43:
Other than that, it is really a modable weapon, easy to shoot, and very accurate if used correctly.

MikeR
10-03-2009, 8:45 PM
I think its a POS...

DezertPilot -

Nope.

I have to say something to post this post, but nothing really needed to be said. Move along ..nothing to see here ...move along lol

Sky_DiveR
10-03-2009, 8:58 PM
It was a good read while it lasted. :lurk5:

I'm still kinda amazed "artherd" come on this particular thread to comment.... Thought he just lurked on the 2a forums. (Until I looked up his posts and I now see he often goes to the "Off-Topic" forum also).

Actually I thought upper management spent all their time fighting crime and injustice in the world that they really didn't have time to converse with us commoners. Goes to show how much I know. :shrug:

evidens83
10-03-2009, 9:16 PM
Wow classic thread! Hopefully over time another one converted though..

joelberg
10-03-2009, 9:36 PM
AR15's are great rifles. Might have their drawbacks, but they are still great rifles.

bomb_on_bus
10-03-2009, 10:06 PM

Wow.....

This page is too EPIC to lock!

I mean common man this stuff only happens once in a while, its like having sex with a girl while drunk and waking up the next day to realize shes actually good looking:D

762cavalier
10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
This page is too EPIC to lock!

I mean common man this stuff only happens once in a while, its like having sex with a girl while drunk and waking up the next day to realize shes actually good looking:D
I'm still waiting for that to happen until then I just have to settle for train wrecks like this

bombadillo
10-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, delete the thread, let him ask again a little different wording maybe and the hilarity cease. Hopefully everybody got a chuckle and the OP got his answer. Lesson learned: Don't be a D-Bag to anybody and they won't be a D-Bag back.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Jpach
10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
This is one epic thread. I hope that the OP comes around and tries the AR platform out for himself and sees if he/she likes it or not

technique
10-03-2009, 11:21 PM
this was a CGs orgy....I got here late and the OPs bum has been ravaged. I think I'll pass.

7.62x54R
10-03-2009, 11:27 PM
AR and AK are probably the best weapons out there. I say combine them a AR15 with a Gas piston upper. :D

evollep3
10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
first of all i just wanted to say i really must of fell out of my bed and bumped my head hard this morning because i just wasted 20mins of my life reading all 17pgs and screw all you AR loving guys BOLT ACTION is the way to go!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/IMG_1189.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/IMG_1186.jpg
:43:

DREADNOUGHT78
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Same rifle in all 3 pics?????

DREADNOUGHT78
10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
first of all i just wanted to say i really must of fell out of my bed and bumped my head hard this morning because i just wasted 20mins of my life reading all 17pgs and screw all you AR loving guys BOLT ACTION is the way to go!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/IMG_1189.jpg

:43:

Is that a can of BSN Syntha-6 on the shelf in the background????

evollep3
10-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Is that a can of BSN Syntha-6 on the shelf in the background????

you know it chocolate malt and the coffee one

DREADNOUGHT78
10-03-2009, 11:57 PM
HAHA I am cutting so none of the good stuff just NO-Xplode fruit punch and Endo-Rush fruit punch.

evollep3
10-04-2009, 12:16 AM
HAHA I am cutting so none of the good stuff just NO-Xplode fruit punch and Endo-Rush fruit punch.
no- xplode made me xplode in the bathroom:(

DSA_FAL
10-04-2009, 1:07 AM

Owned. :43:

As for my reason, I am a big history buff and owning a rifle similar to that of the one used by the U.S. armed forces for the past 45 years was a must have on my list of historically significant rifles.

Steyr_223
10-04-2009, 2:30 AM
http://adamncopeland.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/blank-picard_facepalm.jpg
http://adamncopeland.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/19f4a676aeff836d450cffc7c4d22ca9721e0250.jpg

sevensix2x51
10-04-2009, 6:39 AM
this is now a meme thread.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/882/original/381px-Thosearemyshoes.jpg?1252469326

Joe788
10-04-2009, 8:51 AM

Irony:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/SR-25_pic01.jpg/800px-SR-25_pic01.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/USMC_SR-25_SAMR.jpg/800px-USMC_SR-25_SAMR.jpg

"In late 2005, the US Army awarded a contract to Knight’s Armament for the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System, a variant of the Mk 11, to replace the service’s M24 bolt-action sniper rifles. The Army plans to field 4,400 of the rifles through 2009. The weapon was used by Delta Force snipers during the Battle of Tora Bora and the hunt for Osama Bin Laden."

"The Mk 11 Mod 0 is in use with the US Marine Corps as a sniper rifle. In November, 2005, the USMC announced it was buying 180 Mk 11 Mod 0 rifles in response to an emergency request from II Marine Expeditionary Force commanders in Iraq. The bolt-action M40 sniper rifle currently in use was reportedly not ideally suited for urban environments."

bomb_on_bus
10-04-2009, 9:01 AM
http://adamncopeland.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/blank-picard_facepalm.jpg
http://adamncopeland.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/19f4a676aeff836d450cffc7c4d22ca9721e0250.jpg

POWNZERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KillZone45
10-04-2009, 12:20 PM

No-Xplode man that stuff has sooo much caffeine, try Torque its what I currently use. I like it, but its powerful as it can make my stomach queezy, how is that Endo-Rush?

Afterburnt
10-04-2009, 12:41 PM
this is now a meme thread.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/882/original/381px-Thosearemyshoes.jpg?1252469326

that's pretty funny, I just dont know why...

BlackDrop50
10-04-2009, 1:06 PM
This is an epic Calguns thread.

Wayyyy too funny.

bigcalidave
10-04-2009, 1:52 PM
This thread is still here ? Did the op run to the hills yet ?

DK9mm
10-04-2009, 2:18 PM
This thread is still here ? Did the op run to the hills yet ?

My thoughts exactly!

CenterX
10-04-2009, 2:56 PM
Ya'll make me want to puke - opinionated blabber fitting for elementary school playground politics. I thought better of this crowd, until today.
Even a dumb question deserves a respectful answer.
Slams and bickering like this only divides the causes most of us stand for.
Show some respect.
There, I said it!

Vanguard
10-04-2009, 3:10 PM
Oh man....I'm glad I read the entire thread before posting. I had my flamethrower primed and ready for the OP. I was going to hold down the trigger until the tank was empty too. :43:

Turns out, the guy made up for his original post.

Shoot a nice AR, Dezertpilot, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and welcome to Calguns, man. :)

CenterX
10-04-2009, 3:19 PM
Oh man....I'm glad I read the entire thread before posting. I had my flamethrower primed and ready for the OP. I was going to hold down the trigger until the tank was empty too. :43:

Turns out, the guy made up for his original post.

Shoot a nice AR, Dezertpilot, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and welcome to Calguns, man. :)

Double + for Vanguard

Shooting helps.
I'm a solid Garand fan. But I went to Nevada last year to shot AR's and the like - I'm not and never could be all goo-goo for the AR, but I'd grab one in a pinch. I also added one to the file cabinet but still haven't taken it to the range.

Flying Bones
10-04-2009, 5:54 PM
Double + for Vanguard

Shooting helps.
I'm a solid Garand fan. But I went to Nevada last year to shot AR's and the like - I'm not and never could be all goo-goo for the AR, but I'd grab one in a pinch. I also added one to the file cabinet but still haven't taken it to the range.

??? Only ina pinch huh? At least with that Garand you'll have a good club to swing and bricks of heave ammo to throw when you miss.

:hide:
J/K...sortof.

And you thought better of this crowd? How long have you been cruising the centerfire rifles thread? It's a world wide webwar around here.

diginit
10-04-2009, 9:57 PM
Same rifle in all 3 pics?????
Good Call. Different variatons of the same rifle. And I'm not done with it yet.
I can't believe this post is still growing! :eek:
I think the OP knew he was going to start Sht when he called the AR a POS. But then, Ignorance is bliss. :D

Stormfeather
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Ya'll make me want to puke - opinionated blabber fitting for elementary school playground politics. I thought better of this crowd, until today.
Even a dumb question deserves a respectful answer.
Slams and bickering like this only divides the causes most of us stand for.
Show some respect.
There, I said it!

I for one as well agree, and will back you up on this. No member on CalGuns, however new or old, deserves the rudeness that was shown to him on this thread. Each and every one of you who blasted him and yet didnt take the time to answer his question have done nothing more than made yourselves look like blithering redneck idiots who masturbate with their guns and are willing to dogpile on a new member. Each and every one who did that needs to go back and remember what this forum is about. Yea, we all know he came in heavy, but he got sat down hard and fast, and learned his lesson quick. Yet somehow or another, alot of you found it necessary to dogpile on. While you may consider it funny, it just made all of you look a little bit more ignorant today. And while you laugh and joke and tell him to come back with another screen name, so he can start fresh, and his comments are forever cemented in the internet for life, guess what. . . so are all of your comments.

Stewardship Ladies and Gentlemen, learn it, live it, teach it, pass it on. If you dont, all you are doing is treading water and letting other do the work for you. That means you are nothing more than a lazy mouthpiece. If Ive lost you at this point, maybe you need to go back and look to the "stickys" and find out what those of us on here are talking about when we talk about stewardship. To those of you who took the high road. . . .

Aleksei Vasiliev
drunktank
TragicImage
GenLee
barrym66
DieselPower
kf6tac
cbn620
hellraiser

and many others, I salute you for taking the time, patience, and understanding in answering the poster like a mature adult.

Stormfeather out.

sevensix2x51
10-04-2009, 10:20 PM
his comments are forever cemented in the internet for life, guess what. . . so are all of your comments.

in that case...

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/16173/original/SQLWL5SXRLOGEZJWEOTJDHBOM5DY6LFD.jpeg?1252182448

Ishoot
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
What an entertaining thread.:)..to the OP, I can see you building/buying an AR once you get some range time...problem is AR's like to reproduce and more eventually show up in your safe. :o

Fantasma
10-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Okay okay, I have to agree with Dezert, Ar-15's truly suck!

I much rather have an M4.... :D;)

artherd
10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
its bad for the vendors. this thread has 15 pages of replies, and over 3000 views in 17 hours. if i were a banner ad owner, i would love this many hits on a page. im not slighting anybody, dont get me wrong. but when life hands you lemons....

plus it's fun to watch trolls play out over a thread.

YES, in an elaboreate yet sinister plot to sell more MMGs, Calguns is hereby suspending all moderation!

PS: Frankly I think it has NOTHING TO DO with the mod team being amused and wanting to see how bad the OP wrecks himself. :) ...so shut up. :D :D :D

elSquid
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Each and every one of you who blasted him and yet didnt take the time to answer his question have done nothing more than made yourselves look like blithering redneck idiots who masturbate with their guns and are willing to dogpile on a new member.

I think that phrasing pretty much undercuts your appeal for others to follow "the high road".

-- Michael

artherd
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
...masturbate with their guns...

Hey if that's wrong... :D

Stewardship Ladies and Gentlemen, learn it, live it, teach it, pass it on.

Quoted For Truth, lest these words get lost.

sevensix2x51
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
YES, in an elaboreate yet sinister plot to sell more MMGs, Calguns is hereby suspending all moderation!

PS: Frankly I think it has NOTHING TO DO with the mod team being amused and wanting to see how bad the OP wrecks himself. :) ...so shut up. :D :D :D

yes! reply from the boss!! epic win. :thumbsup:

anniepoks
10-05-2009, 9:43 PM
..........here we go again!
people, read the thread - like it? then write/reply/opinionate something.
dont like it? well use your ignore mode and leave. the more you say - liking or
disliking someones' opinion reflects back on you. its your call....:chillpill:

KillZone45
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Still here checking in on the thread daily:D

Trendkill
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Desert:

Your welcome to come shoot my AR's anytime.....

Problem is...you'll end up being a black rifle worshipping koolaide drinker just like the rest of us....

KillZone45
10-06-2009, 6:07 PM
Desert:

Your welcome to come shoot my AR's anytime.....

Problem is...you'll end up being a black rifle worshipping koolaide drinker just like the rest of us....

Sounds good just name a place and time:)

Trendkill
10-06-2009, 6:42 PM
Sounds good just name a place and time:)

San Jose CA , ...

You name the date and time.....I'll let ya know if it will work. Weekends are best.

diginit
10-06-2009, 7:51 PM
Still here checking in on the thread daily:D

Shot an AR yet? I'm afraid you'll love it.:D accurate to 600 yds, Light recoil and a fast load with the ability empty the mag and stay on target. And they work wonders on Tannerite and citris fruit.

Hey Ben, We should meet him at Sunnyvale R&G sometime. We may just start a trend

Trendkill
10-06-2009, 8:36 PM
Shot an AR yet? I'm afraid you'll love it.:D accurate to 600 yds, Light recoil and a fast load with the ability empty the mag and stay on target. And they work wonders on Tannerite and citris fruit.

Hey Ben, We should meet him at Sunnyvale R&G sometime. We may just start a trend

Yes ,

Start a trend indeed.

Trendkill

slogun
10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Just checking.....

Seesm
10-07-2009, 6:59 PM
The op seems like a ok guy... BUT I have to tell you reading his original post I was wanting to pop him in the nose...

It was his TONE and how smug he seemed... But it all seems to have gone. Now I want to hug him. JK :)

CenterX
10-07-2009, 8:49 PM
??? Only ina pinch huh? At least with that Garand you'll have a good club to swing and bricks of heave ammo to throw when you miss.

:hide:
J/K...sortof.

And you thought better of this crowd? How long have you been cruising the centerfire rifles thread? It's a world wide webwar around here.

The 3006 shoots through cinder block, has been logged for record kills to 1200 yards, and as you stated is a good truncheon for close in battles. It does reload slowly and only holds 8 rounds. Yea, AR in a pinch.

Never been is such a rough house since I stopped playing bar pool 28 years ago. Whew, I need a smoke and a drink!

odysseus
10-07-2009, 8:51 PM
I keep laughing each time I see this subject line pop up on the new post list.

technique
10-07-2009, 8:54 PM
I wouldn't doubt we see a "New AR build" post from the OP. Just give him some time...

Desertpilot...you should have trade marked "hub bub"...:D

bandoi
10-08-2009, 12:14 AM
lol i cant believe this thread is still going on and how its progressed.

Lumpia is sarap!®
10-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Hub bub.

MasterYong
10-08-2009, 9:30 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg
http://robotpirateninja.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/inet_tough_guy.jpg

Anyone else notice that the e-thug pic has the guy on the right pointing a gun at the crotch of the guy on the left, with his finger on the trigger???

I think if I was posing for that joke, after I saw the pic I'd punch my buddy right in the sternum. Lettum think about pointing a gun at my crotchfruit again...

ChrisO
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
This is still going, Darn last time I checked was like page 4 haha. I personally used to think the same thing "why are AR's so great" I shoot a lot of long range and if it came down to a carbine or rifle It was a M1 garand or carbine. Until I decided to drink the kool aid and get one, I still love my garand and carbine but the modularity of the AR platform is great the gun can serve many purposes.

Black Majik
10-08-2009, 11:07 AM

What gun is this? Somehow it doesn't look real?

socomIInato
10-08-2009, 1:03 PM

What gun is this? Somehow it doesn't look real?

these guys are likely pisspoor shooters! spend to much time playing with their fingers and not enough time practicing:coolgleamA:

dirtnap
10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Crotchfruit.....lol