PDA

View Full Version : Pistol/SBR Upper

JPurp
10-02-2009, 7:18 PM
I have a chance to get a Colt SMG 9MM 10.5" upper. I would like to have a fake suppressor pinned to reach 16" OAL.

I know there are no restrictions on sending upper so I could just have it sent to the house. I am concerned as I have AR lowers that are capable of accepting the upper, including a 9MM lower. Could this constitute intent to construct a SBR? Is that a violation of the law like intent as it relates to full auto parts?

If so what are my options? Could I have it sent to a friend that doesn't have an AR? Could I store my AR lowers with a friend till I get the upper extended to 16" OAL?

Anyone been down this road before and have any thoughts?

IMC87
10-02-2009, 7:25 PM
yes, considered constructive possession. I can hold it for you :D i have an ar pistol so the C.P. wont apply to me :D
Or have a friend with no ar15s hold it for you

Rukus
10-02-2009, 7:27 PM
Send it to a friend, or send it directly to whoever is going to be doing the barrel work for you (contact them first of course).

ROCKETW19
10-02-2009, 7:32 PM
I have a chance to get a Colt SMG 9MM 10.5" upper. I would like to have a fake suppressor pinned to reach 16" OAL.

I know there are no restrictions on sending upper so I could just have it sent to the house. I am concerned as I have AR lowers that are capable of accepting the upper, including a 9MM lower. Could this constitute intent to construct a SBR? Is that a violation of the law like intent as it relates to full auto parts?

If so what are my options? Could I have it sent to a friend that doesn't have an AR? Could I store my AR lowers with a friend till I get the upper extended to 16" OAL?

Anyone been down this road before and have any thoughts?

Better safe than sorry! But why would the police be at your house in the first place? I can only guess but my guess is they wont be.

tomd1584
10-02-2009, 7:41 PM
Have it Sent to Randall and have him perm. Attach the fake suppressor and mail it back to you

technique
10-02-2009, 7:44 PM
Send it to a friend, or send it directly to whoever is going to be doing the barrel work for you (contact them first of course).

+1:)

JPurp
10-02-2009, 8:01 PM
I am thinking of an alternative approach.

I get a pistol lower and while in CA keep the 10.5" upper on the pistol lower. If I register a rifle lower at the federal level as a SBR but keep a 16" upper on it those both should be fine in CA?

When I get to a state that allows SBR with federal stamp couldn't I move the 10.5" upper onto the SBR lower? Then just switch it back for the return to CA? Can you get a federal SBR stamp if you are a resident of CA?

I know "once a rifle always a rifle" but doesn't that just apply to the lower for AR style weapons?

technique
10-02-2009, 8:04 PM
The Feds probly won't approve you for an SBR that is not C&R living in CA?

I am thinking of an alternative approach.

. If I register a rifle lower at the federal level as a SBR but keep a 16" upper on it those both should be fine in CA?