View Full Version : Handgun Safety Certificate Question

10-02-2009, 4:18 PM
Do you need a HSC for a handgun PPT?

10-02-2009, 4:20 PM
yes. Unless you are an exempt individual. You would almost certainly know.

Maltese Falcon
10-02-2009, 4:21 PM
Yes...My FFL made me take the test and charged for cert right then and there.

10-02-2009, 4:31 PM

- G

10-02-2009, 4:33 PM
Thanks guys!

10-02-2009, 5:25 PM
Not if you're the "seller".

Yes if you're the buyer.

10-02-2009, 6:49 PM
From the California Firearms Laws (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf) handbook, page 38


Handgun Safety Certificate
No handgun may be delivered by a firearms dealer unless the purchaser or transferee
presents to the dealer a Handgun Safety Certificate. Additionally, no firearms dealer may deliver a
handgun without first requiring the recipient to correctly and properly perform a safe handling
demonstration with that handgun for a Department of Justice certified instructor.
(Penal Code 12071(b)(8).)

A Handgun Safety Certificate shall not be required for handgun transfers to the following:
• Any active or honorably retired peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5
(commencing with section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code .
• Any active or honorably retired federal officer or law enforcement agent.
• Any reserve peace officer, as defined in Penal Code section 832.6.
• Any person who has successfully completed the course of training specified in Penal Code
section 832.
• A firearms dealer licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, who is acting in
the course and scope of his or her activities as a person licensed pursuant to Penal Code
section 12071.
• A federally licensed collector who is acquiring or being loaned a handgun that is a curio or relic,as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, who has a
current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant
to Penal Code section 12071.
• A person to whom a handgun is being returned, where the person receiving the firearm is the
owner of the firearm.
• A family member of a peace officer or deputy sheriff from a local agency who receives a
firearm pursuant to Government Code section 50081.
• Any individual who has a valid concealed weapons permit issued pursuant to Penal
Code section 12050.
• An active, or honorably retired member of the United States Armed Forces, the
National Guard, the Air National Guard, the active reserve components of the United States,
where individuals in those organizations are properly identified.
• Any person who is authorized to carry loaded firearms pursuant to subdivision (c) or (d) of Penal
Code section 12031.
• Persons who are the holder of a special weapons permit issued by the Department of Justice
pursuant to Penal Code sections 12095, 12230, 12250, or 12305.
• Persons who obtain a handgun through operation of law in a representative capacity
pursuant to Penal Code section 12078(i).