PDA

View Full Version : Getting batteries out of your MIAD core?

Sander77
10-02-2009, 4:03 PM
Hey folks,

So I'm using the little adapter that comes with the AA/AAA MIAD core to hold 2 N-sized batteries for the Eotech.

So the grip is well designed overall, and I know it's made to be waterproof and rattle-free.

But damn if those batteries aren't hard to get out once they're in there. Since there's nothing to grab hold of, do people just kinda bang them upside down on a hard surface until the batteries pop out enough to pinch and pull out? Just seems unexpectedly difficult for such an otherwise great product. Or maybe I'm just missing something...?

Again, it's no issue for big AA batteries, this is just when you're using the insert for smaller ones.

djleisure
10-02-2009, 4:09 PM
Hmm... never had this problem, because I've always stuck with the 3-bullet core. Maybe Magpul needs to start including a couple, tiny little Magpul pull-tabs to throw on the N-size batteries. :D

ETA: I guess in a pinch you could just throw a couple of those "clerical finger condoms" over the batteries for more grippy action. Dunno - might help.

Sander77
10-02-2009, 4:14 PM
LOL - right, like mini Ranger plates for battery cores? :)

It did just strike me as odd, because the the insert is so well thought-out, given that it can hold AA, AAA and N equally well. And given that, it just seems like not having an easy way to pull them out in a hurry would be a strange oversight.

If you're in a situation where you desperately need to replace those batteries, it would just kinda suck to be sitting there trying to fuss with your emergency storage unit!

Sander77
10-02-2009, 4:34 PM
Well the batteries are so snug when they go in, there's not a millimeter of space left - again, definitely rattle-free for sure!

I'm going to figure out a trick to this!

I did a search before posting and didn't see anything on this, though. Maybe I just happened to get an unusually tight fitting insert...

djleisure
10-02-2009, 4:41 PM
You could pull out your Dremel, attach a light sanding drum and then very gently give the insides a once-over. You do have a Dremel, right? RIGHT?! ;)

Otherwise, maybe just a piece of sandpaper folded over a pencil...

Sander77
10-04-2009, 1:48 PM
Ok, so after playing around with it for a few days, the most effective technique seems to be to hold the core upside down in one hand and then slam your palms together a couple times - think ketchup bottle... Usually they come flying out pretty quick. Not exactly a precision technique, but fast and easy, I guess.