PDA

View Full Version : Fab 10

evollep3
10-02-2009, 3:27 PM
How many were made does anyone know? and how many still have one?

CSACANNONEER
10-02-2009, 3:31 PM
I have two and I've traded one off. I doubt that anyone will ever know exactly how many were made since the first manufacturer did a lot of custom SNs and then sold the bussiness to the guy in NV.

Thanks to my first FAB10, I was able to build a second 50BMG rifle! So, I will always think FAB10s are great!

evollep3
10-02-2009, 3:40 PM
I have two and I've traded one off. I doubt that anyone will ever know exactly how many were made since the first manufacturer did a lot of custom SNs and then sold the bussiness to the guy in NV.

Thanks to my first FAB10, I was able to build a second 50BMG rifle! So, I will always think FAB10s are great!

thats funny that you said that my Bohica is on my fab10 and i kid you not my serial# is 1 with all the preceding 0's before it of course

NRAhighpowershooter
10-02-2009, 3:42 PM
I have one of the early ones.... number 75 :cool:

evollep3
10-02-2009, 3:43 PM
what were the price point back than when they first came out

CSACANNONEER
10-02-2009, 3:49 PM
I have one with a SN of 53 but, I also am aware that it has letter designations in it to show which shop purchased it. I paid $225 for my first stripped FAB10. I paid $275 for a pair of complete FAB10 lowers a couple years ago.

evollep3
10-02-2009, 3:57 PM
yea now these days most people sell them for dirt cheap now lol its almost worth it one day just to frame one lol

BillyGoatMachine
10-02-2009, 5:31 PM
I've got one sitting in the back of my safe. I bought it on a complete bushmaster rifle back in the day. I've since stripped the entire rifle off of it and used a regular OLL for one of my builds.

RW Dunn
10-02-2009, 6:12 PM
1196 in the house, only because i didn't know about OLLs before buying it

evollep3
10-02-2009, 6:14 PM
1196 in the house, only because i didn't know about OLLs before buying it

there is no shame i bought one after my 5th oll they make great bolt lowers for like bohicas and other single shot uppers

C.G.
10-02-2009, 8:58 PM
there is no shame i bought one after my 5th oll they make great bolt lowers for like bohicas and other single shot uppers

Yup, my Ferret .338 LM sports a FAB-10 lower. The magwell is now filled with lead to cut down recoil, since I still haven't put a brake on it.

Bug Splat
10-02-2009, 9:34 PM
I got one. Reg'ed as a 50 :D

DRM6000
10-03-2009, 12:03 AM
i have a shoeless ventures one and a cms (?) engine service one. one is reg'd for .50 bmg. in hindsight, i don't know why i didn't register both. oh well.

leelaw
10-03-2009, 12:50 AM
FAB-10

Ah ha ha...

HA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Whew.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA!!

Oh, the memories.

Blue
10-03-2009, 12:53 AM
I paid something like $218 out the door in 2002 for mine.

NSR500
10-03-2009, 2:08 AM
Wes @ Ten Percent was on a quest a while back to get as many of these as he could. I don't think he ever said why, but who knows... The guy rides a Scooter!

:hide:

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 8:29 AM
Ah ha ha...

HA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Whew.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA!!

Oh, the memories.

FAB10s have served two great purposes in California. First, they were the original OLL and opened the door to BRD for many of us. Secondly, those of us who had a little foresight, registered them as 50BMG rifles. Hmmm, those who still laugh at FAB10s, must be jealous of those of us who own them. I still don't see the difference between using a P50 lock, a sealed magwell Carbon15 or a FAB10. Except, we all know that the FAB10 was the first one available. Now, I will admit that I have "enough" open mag well OLLs that having a FAB10 around as a conversation piece isn't limiting me in any way. I've got one that's registered as a 50BMG and one just hanging around because I bought it super cheap. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would laugh at any of these rifles:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=227750

tenpercentfirearms
10-03-2009, 9:39 AM
I have my original one that I bought back in 2002 when I got the AR bug but couldn't fully finish it in CA. It now sits stripped in my safe, registered as a .50 BMG, but I don't even own a .50 BMG round let alone a .50 BMG upper. But I could!

When the OLL craze hit, I started trading OLLs for FAB10s. I was using the FAB10s as floor models of AR15s in my shop. I did so because the DOJ had gotten good at just confiscating things under the most minor reasons and there was no way they were going to confiscate my CA DOJ approved FAB10s.

Now we stock complete rifles with Bullet Buttons on the wall and the FAB10s are just sitting in the back in all sorts of states of completedness.

I had a couple of stripped ones sitting around for a while and I sold them for $200! A guy who I couldn't convince to buy an OLL, but insisted on buying a FAB-10 in order to be safe was the perfect mark to sell a $200 FAB-10 to. :43:

leelaw
10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
FAB10s have served two great purposes in California. First, they were the original OLL and opened the door to BRD for many of us. Secondly, those of us who had a little foresight, registered them as 50BMG rifles. Hmmm, those who still laugh at FAB10s, must be jealous of those of us who own them.

You remember what they say about making assumptions?

Guess what I have in my safe?

Guess what is also registered as a .50BMG?

I still don't see the difference between using a P50 lock, a sealed magwell Carbon15 or a FAB10.

The P50s use real magazines designed as 10 rounders, not a 30rdr cut down to fit inside a magazine well. This makes the P50-equipped OLLs more reliable, and easier to service if needed.

That said, I'm laughing because of an invrecible amount of drama from someone associated with the company that produced the FAB-10.

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
That said, I'm laughing because of an invrecible amount of drama from someone associated with the company that produced the FAB-10.

Fill me in. Are you talking about the guy here in Ca. or, after he sold it to the guy in NV? Got a link? Please, PM me if it's not appropriate for the forum.

evollep3
10-03-2009, 7:10 PM
Fill me in. Are you talking about the guy here in Ca. or, after he sold it to the guy in NV? Got a link? Please, PM me if it's not appropriate for the forum.

:popcorn:

ivanimal
10-03-2009, 7:16 PM
Wes @ Ten Percent was on a quest a while back to get as many of these as he could. I don't think he ever said why, but who knows... The guy rides a Scooter!

:hide:

He got mine..............150 fully assembled is what I paid.

evollep3
10-03-2009, 7:55 PM
i wish i could of registered mines :( for a bmg

maxicon
10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I've got 2 of them, both still on functioning builds. I was one of the ones that got some first-hand drama experience.

The first one was mis-manufactured, and didn't have the hole for the take-down pin retaining pin. After some back-and-forth with the Fab 10 guy, I got another at a discount (though still more than an OLL would have cost).

That one had the pivot pin hole slightly off-axis, and it was nearly impossible to remove the take-down pin without a tool and some sweat. Rather than repeat my previous mistake of dealing with them, I fixed it with a Dremel and file.

I can't see any real value to Fab 10 now, except for those who registered them as .50 cal lowers. I considered that, but didn't want to deal with the limitations of a registered AW (transportation, etc), and I'm not big on guns that are expensive to feed.

Once local prices recover, I'll be replacing them with OLLs, but for now, they work fine, and the budget is tight.

Here's a thread where I told the story:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171

and another where Fab 10 responded, apparently to the original thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25711

Big D
10-04-2009, 1:45 PM
Mine is LG068. Not only do I still have it, but I still have it on my rifle. Even though I have a stripped sun devil sitting in the safe. Just haven't had the funds to build a second rifle. I guess I could just get a lpk and transfer my upper over. I bought the FAB-10 as soon as I found out about it. I was so happy to be able to build an AR type rifle I didn't care about its limitations.

CSACANNONEER
10-04-2009, 2:17 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. All the drama was with the Shoeless Venture's lowers and not the original FAB10s with Kilroy on them.