View Full Version : AW Legal question?

03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm not a lawyer but I know of no reason in CA, other than AW features, preventing a pistol from being converted back & forth into a rifle.

I do believe the MechTech carbine conversion, then, would have been legal before SB23 was active as long as its overall length is 30" or more.

You can possess a MechTech kit separately from your unreg'd-AW pistol and assemble it out of state. I would keep the MechTech and pistol locked separately during transit however.

Since with MechTech kit you have a pistol-grip semiauto centerfire rifle w/detachable magazine, it's considered an SB23 'by features' AW. If it's under 30" long that's another, separate, reason that it's an AW.

But since your Glock was reg'd as an AW already, there's nothing stopping you from allows it to have any number of AW features.

[BTW - good move, dude, I shoulda gotten cheap threaded bbls and reg'd all my various pistols as AWs back in 2000!]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

04-27-2005, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by DRH:
Bill, I assumed it was ok but thanks for the validation. Too bad I don't have a chronograph, I want to see what f.p.s. 115 gr +P+ will do out a 16" barrel.
I'm getting 1200+ fps with 124's (rn, fmj) out of a 16" carbine. I have yet to see even a mildly flattened primer, so I'm working up from that about 2 tents of a grain at a time. Powder us Unique, primers are CCI or Win, brass is mainly Starline with some range-scrounge cases thrown in.

06-13-2005, 7:55 PM
I thought you would get better velocities than that... My Glock with a 22 length barrel gets 1400 fps with a 124fmj in a 9x19

06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I think I have a ways to go before I start seeing overpressure signs.