View Full Version : Storing AR lower with no mag lock

10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I am pretty sure it is legal, but I wanted to confirm this. Is it legal to store an AR lower with a pistol grip with no mag lock installed?

I don't have an upper, and plan on going featureless so I want to remove my BB ahead of time.

And another question. Would it be legal for me to store a lower as described above, but with a complete upper in my possession? I am asking this in case I end up getting an upper before I get a grip slip/MMG.

Also, does anyone know how to remove a bullet button and mag catch assembly?

10-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, it's legal as long as the upper and lower stay separated.

For removing the bullet button it kind of depends on the model. But the most common one (I think) would require that you use a very small jewelers screwdriver or the freelock tool to unscrew the lock-out part.

10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
yes. legal.

since you can pop a .22 upper on it, and it is not a "centerfire"

and even if you do have a centerfire upper in your possession, it is fine too.... no "Constructive Possession" violation in CA AW laws

10-02-2009, 12:58 PM
The mag catch assembly doesn't need to be removed, just the BB. Then you just need the stock spring and mag release button.

10-02-2009, 1:34 PM
Ok thanks for the replies.

Here is the bullet button:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5729/arlower3.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/arlower3.jpg/)

Not sure what type it is.

Is the lock part the thing on the inside?

10-02-2009, 1:39 PM
Yes. Its a split straight slot screw on the inside. Use a very small screwdriver or awl to to start to unscrew it from inside trhe hole. when the nut is past the screw, you can then use a regular screwdriver to unscrew it the rest of the way. Then install the normal mag release.

10-02-2009, 1:46 PM
If you spend the $7 for the wrench it is definatley worth it. My first time, I stripped the BB.

10-02-2009, 1:52 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I will have to give this a try whenever I get the chance.